X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 6, 1944

Thank you to those who gave so much to free so many from tyrany.

Re: June 6, 1944

For those who thought that D-Day was just an American thing;

Which Allied nations took part in the fighting?

The majority of troops who landed on the D-Day beaches were from the United Kingdom, Canada and the US. However, troops from many other countries participated in D-Day and the Battle of Normandy, in all the different armed services: Australia, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, France, Greece, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway and Poland.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      For those who thought that D-Day was just an American thing;

Which Allied nations took part in the fighting?
      The majority of troops who landed on the D-Day beaches were from the United Kingdom, Canada and the US. However, troops from many other countries participated in D-Day and the Battle of Normandy, in all the different armed services: Australia, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, France, Greece, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway and Poland.
      I wonder how they figured how/who was going to which landing.Juno,Gold and sword were walk ons.

Kind of like how they decided who was going to do daylight or nightime bombing.

Comment

Eisenhower was the "Supreme Allied Commander" and the U.S. was the best equipped, and with the most "fresh" manpower. While "allied" commanders were part of the senior planning staff, Eisenhower was the final decision maker. The British had probably suffered the most in previous engagements and we can't forget their losses at Dunkirk, North Africa, and of course "the Blitz".

I had a good friend whose father was on the planning staff and went into Omaha on the third wave. I found him listed in the back Cornelius Ryan's "Longest Day".

One thing I have found over the years, is that it is very, very rare that a veteran will ever talk about his experiences to anyone who wasn't there. Usually it comes about only when they are in their senior years and then I suspect it is because they feel the younger generations need to know. Every veteran among my family, friends, and many military acquaintances were that way. As I grew up, I'd occasionally eavesdrop on latenight coversation between old friends and relatives who might discuss a few incidenses amongst each other.

CWS

Comment

Working...
        X