Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital TV converter box

For those of you requiring a "DTV" converter box I'd like to recommend
    the Dish Network DTVpal Plus DTV converter.

You can find them for around $53.00 [before coupon]

I have no monetary interest in this posting...this is for information only!

Originally I picked up the first generation Zenith DTV converter. I even used the $40.00
    coupon....I think I purchased this at Radio Shack
    Well that was a mistake... first it did not have an analog pass through. I needed that as I use ch-18 [UHF] for in house TV distribution of satellite TV...[for another discussion].

I also experienced a lot of picture break up with digital channels that were at a lower power.

The DTVpal unit has the analog pass through and better electronics..I will say this has to do with better design etc.

I know there are a myriad of DTV converter boxes out there and you may see over 1000 listed on E-bay. Be aware that many of those listed are of the older generations and may not really work as well as the newest versions.

I really did not spend too much time reading user reviews or magazine reviews of DTV converters but I did notice a pattern with some models. Some models require you use the remote control for everything..the box has no controls, just a LED to indicate it's on.
    Loose the remote..game over etc.

It seems Magnavox units are not that good...sorry can't explain that statement any
    further or give you a specific model number. There are probably a quantity of DTV converters that are exactly the same inside but just have a different front decal. I suspect Insignia and Zenith are like that.

We consumers are basically screwed again! Everyone's situation is going to be different and thus may require you to do a "trial and error" approach to finding a DTV box that will work for you. The type antenna you use and distance to the transmitter also play a pivotal role in getting a good signal...Even the new DTV televisions be it LCD or plasma may not play well if you can't pull in a "strong signal".

I just hope after the dust settles the broadcasters will up the digital TV transmitters power levels. You would be shocked to see the difference between the old analog transmitter power VS. the digital transmitted power. It is significant..And, if you experience a lot of weather challenges you will likely loose the digital signal signal.

In some areas you may have no choice but to go with cable or one of the satellite providers. This entire sham has destroyed the concept of free TV and a lot of greedy folks are making tons of money at our expense!

OK digital TV is beautiful and HDTV is simply amazing but if you can't pull in the signal it makes little difference!!!!

Cactus Man

Re: digital TV converter box

got an angry phone call from joey this afternoon

says we have no channels

i told her we don't need a converter with a newer digital t.v.

so i get home and set the t.v. to search for digital channels.

found about 70 of them just over the air antenna.

joey still angry

told her i had another job to replace a seismic gas shut off valve.

even brought her home an in-n-out burger, fries and drink

now i'm eating my second double double

who needs cable when we have the forum

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm the lucky dog here. I got a Zenith converter and it works fine. As for analog pass through, I just turn it off either by remote or on the unit.

Now as for digital broadcast signals, I had and still use a good chimney mount VHF-UHF antenna with rotor so I can take aim. There is a button on the remote for my converter box where you can see signal strength (Weak - Strong) as a little bar. It's took time, but now I know for channel X how to aim my antenna.

Yes this is a real PITA, but if I bought a new TV with a digital tuner, I would have to deal with the same things.

I do have a few TV stations (low power) still on the air today in analog, but these are not worth the bother to me.

I feel bad for people that are poor and can't afford new things and for seniors that haven't a clue as to what to do so they might pickup digital TV.

Now for the real bomb: Think of the millions of good analog TVs that are going to be disposed of and replaced with a new TV just because many people either can't deal with setting up a converter or they have no idea what one is and/or where to get a good one.

I'll close by saying that the PBS station in my area ran some very good information shows on what to do and how to do it. It's a shame that people didn't know when they were going to run the shows. Other stations should have announced the dates and times.

Special note: I think my Zenith is one of the newer models. I did hear some (*&^%$ about their earlier box and the same with other brands. I'm also in an area with pretty strong signal strength, but if I want to pickup signals from other cities, then my outdoor antenna and the ability to rotate it is great.

Comment

This message was aired this morning on my local FOX TV station.

During the transition to digital TV, many broadcast stations are currently running at reduced power. In a few days things should be improved.

I'm thinking that maybe they are running at reduced power to get us to carefully aim our antennas. It may be an FCC issue but I think only time will tell.

For people with problems, don't give up. Keep trying. You may want to try the interactive problem solver at www.dtv.gov and hope it can help you some.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          got an angry phone call from joey this afternoon

says we have no channels

i told her we don't need a converter with a newer digital t.v.

so i get home and set the t.v. to search for digital channels.

found about 70 of them just over the air antenna.

joey still angry

told her i had another job to replace a seismic gas shut off valve.

even brought her home an in-n-out burger, fries and drink

now i'm eating my second double double

who needs cable when we have the forum

rick.
          Guess she got angry 'cause she wasn't smart enough to figure it out.

It's ok Mrs. J.

J.C.

Comment

IN fringe areas the Digital TV is crap in it workings (yes when it good it is very good), but to see a pictulized picture for 3 hrs and nothing is not Television, I would rather have a fuzzy TV than NO TV when I am watching, it, another power and money grab by congress to muck up the world and the country we live in.

what we need in Washington is a 30 day work session and may be they would not be able to mess up the doings of the country so badly, the whole Idea was to free up a bunch of frequencies they could sell them off.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here is SE iowa this whole DTV thing is going to be REAL interesting since we are stuck between des moines and the Quincy IL / Hannible Missouri markets neither have ever came in consistanly in my life due to transmitter range.
              usally from one way or the other we could get stations.
              now analog is gone so is everything except 2 channels that pulled in last night when i rescanned. abc and fox from our local stations.
              and we are in what satellite companys call a "small percentage of the market" so we can not get local channels over the dish, directv or dish network.
              so i guess no more CBS, NBC or IPTV for us down here is SE iowa

Comment

our xmas present to ourselves was a satellite dish. the local cable company offered a basic package for very little $. for less than $70/mo we have a gazillion satellite channels and the locals so Jackie (and i) can monitor local spots when necessary.

no need for a converter box if all goes to heck as both TV's are digital ready

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                X