X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside sump pump

I have water entering my finished basement. I have excavated the outside walls in the area of the water problem, and I am going to install a french drain. The problem that i have is, where I have to place the drain is the lowest point around which is also the basement wall footer. (meaning that i have no place to run the drain away from the house). My question is, can I install a sump outside to pump the water away? I live in Colorado, so freezing in the winter will be an issue. My only thought was to make the sump pit accessible so that I can remove the pump in the winter.

Josh

Re: Outside sump pump

We have a customer that we service that has an outside sump pit. The house was built in an area with tons of rock. They blasted out enough rock for a basement. This left what I call the bathtub tub. A wall of rock about 8 feet out around the perimeter of the house. This allows the water to fill up around the foundation with no were to go. The sump pit was made of concrete block about 2'x2' ID and 10' deep. There is a conduit from the house to the pit for the pump power wire just below grade. The pump line exits the pit about 2' below grade. They have never had a problem with the line freezing even though our frost line is supposed to be somewhere around 40 inches. The lid for the pit is a precast concrete cover. There is no need to build something like this, it was built with the house, take a piece of plastic corrugated pipe min 24" diameter and put it in the ground vertically.

Comment

Do what Highland said, the only tough thing is sizing the pump, in that application there is no such thing as a pump that is too big, and make sure that the discharge is far enough away from your basement, preferably in a propper drainage system, (Where I am it is illegal to dump them into a catch basin). Go with a GOOD QUALITY Zoeller or hydromatic pump, dont skimp here whatever you do

Comment

Thanks, I think i am going to go for it. yea!! more digging cant wait. Thanks again.

Josh

Comment

This thread is just freaky how close the situation is to my basement project... and my name is josh too

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            This thread is just freaky how close the situation is to my basement project... and my name is josh too
            That would be the voodoo that occurs on this forum, as someone else mentioned there is other voodoo about talking about work being slow/picking up and it jinxing stuff. Yesterday I was talking about work being slow..then I called a small company about a first year apprentice job, the guy said he'd call me back soon which is the best I've got in 8 months...voodoo indeed!

Comment

I live in New Jersey and my parents had "professionals" install a pump for them and do what they called a basement sealing job.
              Needless to say they put a pit and pump in.
              There was no check valve on the rise
              They stuck it out the house and ran it on the ground.
              Needless to say they charged them a lot of money.
              Well the way they left it they were no better off then before they came.
              The pipe froze this winter
              I ran a pipe 18'' to a collector basin and out again. They live on a lot where is is clay and stone so the water doesn't dissipate well.
              I noticed someone mentioned that their state didn't allow that.
              Can anyone tell if New Jersey is one of them before I close my ditches.

Comment

hlfj ; ah;klaf; ;fnl;hjkl; ahnljkn kl
                Washington Kitchen Remodelling

Comment

Working...
                X