X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Power Failures - Are You Ready?

Would you be ready for a power failure lasting several days?
    What provisions do you have in place for "just in case"?
    When is the last time you checked these provisions to be sure they are ready?
    When was the last time you had to deal with a power failure of more than just a few hours?

Re: Long Power Failures - Are You Ready?

Well, let's see now. Had an ice storm back in 98, power was out for better part of a month. Had another in 08, power was out for two and a half weeks. Have 10,000 watt generator powers the entire house. Only thing missing was cable and internet.
    sigpic

Comment

Where I live hurricane's come by every year...so yep I'm ready

Comment

a generator is something I still need to install here at my house. Along with a fireplace, I'd love to get that done this year, but with just replacing my A/C this past weekend, it's not looking good. so with luck this won't be a harsh winter.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Good thinking so far.

How about the little stuff?

Battery powered radio and some spare batteries
          Flashlights and extra batteries for them
          Bottled water and food that is ready to eat out of the bag or box
          Clean and ready for use blankets and other bedding
          Camping type stove in case you need it
          Easy to prepare (just heat it up) canned food
          Cell phone in case landline goes down

I'm sure there's lots more to this list.

Comment

We lost power for four days this winter, Powered up the generator..lights,television,computer,fridge....wh at else do I need?
            The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
              Where I live hurricane's come by every year...so yep I'm ready
              you speak the truth. genset ready to go for the inevitable WAPA outages

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I've got the generator, freezer full of food, and DirectTV. The biggest problem will be getting gas for the generator, because the gas stations won't be operating without power either. Can't store much gas for a long period of time safely and without it degrading.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Good thinking so far.

How about the little stuff?

Battery powered radio and some spare batteries
                  Flashlights and extra batteries for them
                  Bottled water and food that is ready to eat out of the bag or box
                  Clean and ready for use blankets and other bedding
                  Camping type stove in case you need it
                  Easy to prepare (just heat it up) canned food
                  Cell phone in case landline goes down

I'm sure there's lots more to this list.
                  This is the stuff we stock up on,although you would be surprised how many don't.We even get at least 3 days notice that a storm is coming and still folks won't be ready.
                  Yea Stxrus...WAPA what a joke

Comment

!

Woussko, you forgot the most essential thing of all

BEER!
                    sigpic

Comment

Rode out hurricanes while in the Navy and hurricane charlie here five years ago.

The glass in my house is covered with laminate, good for category 1 and 2 storms and I also have steel storm shutters for cats 3 and 4. These are staged and ready for deployment. The house itself is built to exceed all Florida storm codes as of 2005 when it was built.

The generator is ready and tested monthly. I have half a dozen gas cans to fill when a storm is imminent (can use for rider mower after storm passes).

I stock up on batteries, water, non-perishable food, pet food, propane for the grill, medicines and prescriptions, tarps etc at the start of the season.

I have a list of all emergency numbers and shelter locations in the county.

My battery operated TV was rendered obsolete by the switch to digital TV. (I don't want to run electronics on a generator so Direct TV isn't an option). I am looking for a battery operated digital but the reception here s**ks.

I think that I am as ready as I can be unless there is a significant storm surge. Anyone know where I can get one of those "unsinkable" life boats?

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
                        Can't store much gas for a long period of time safely and without it degrading.
                        Actual one can store it reasonable easy, (I know many city codes do not allow for it storage),

many will may this is dangerous, but they shipped gasoline in drums all over the world in the 1940 during a major war,
                        Get a clean oil drum and fill it about 90% leave room for expansion, and add some PRI-G, and use according to directions, and seal that up drum up tight, and store in a shaded and reasonable cool location,
                        I stored some gasoline in drums in 99 and used 4 years later, and was as good as when It went into the drums,
                        (currently my generators are on propane supplied by a 1000 gallon tank),

Chevron has a very good page on long term gasoline storage up at there site http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...g_storage.aspx

PRI-G, PRI-D personally I think these products are Superior than some of the other additives, can usually be found at RV dealers.
                        http://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm

If stored in a vented tank you have 6 months at the most before it starts to go bad, all the light compounds evaporate off the fuel leaving heavier and heavier compounds that are hard to burn if left long enough it will be a varnish.
                        Last edited by BHD; 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Plenty of dry and canned food always on hand. Got a 8000 watt generator but I would only use it in the winter to run the heat once every eight or so hours, consumes too much gas for prolonged outage. I have three five gallon gas cans which I numbered and I use them in rotation so the gas doesn't go bad. I bought 8 NIMH D cell batteries and run them in a Coleman flurorescent lantern. Plenty of rechargeable batteries and LED flashlights. Two tanks of propane and Coleman camping stove would keep me going quite a while. Spare prescription medicine is also important. Finally got a couple neighbors who are mature adults and prepare for emergencies, the rest go through life without a care and totally unprepared for any emergency. Lucky if they have a working flashlight Forgot to mention the chainsaws, plenty of two cycle mix and my pro Oregon chain grinder.
                          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 06-26-2009, 11:07 AM.

Comment

generator is all set..feeds into the main panel via a transfer switch. the 6 circuit manual transfer switch covers all the necessities, as house is municipal water and natural gas for heat, hot water, cooking and clothes drying. looking into powering the 6KW portable that supplies power to natural gas. in the meantime, i have a very important generator support tool.......... a manual pump to get gas out of the cars to power the generator.
                            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

YEP! and don't forget emergency supplies/ first aid kit for the pets.

Actually I have cheap insurance... Around 1996 we had a serious micro-burst and we lost power for 3+ days. All generators were sold out and you saw weird power..as some houses
                              had power and many did not. you'd see long extension cords running across streets to help keep freezers and refrigerators running.

I never figured out the distribution but you'd have 4 homes on a single transformer running fine. Then the next 4 homes had no power..etc.

I purchased a 5kw generator for that "just in case" we need it again! Well it's 2009 and the longest power outage we have had since 1996 has lasted maybe 20 minutes!

I have been unsuccessful in convincing my neighbors that it's my generator purchase that has ensured we no longer have power failures. I also tried to get them to pony up some cash as an insurance payment to me for keeping our area power loss free!!!!

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                              X