X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Did the Bugs Go?

Walking down the sidewalk today and I nearly stepped on a fuzzy caterpillar. Reminded me of being a kid when we would capture them and place them in mason jars. I couldn't remember the last time I saw one.

I haven't seen a grasshopper in 10 years. No Daddy Longlegs, honey bees....nothing. Are they still there and I'm just not noticing? I would be sad if they arn't around anymore

All I ever see are roaches and crickets

Any other bugs missing?

Re: Where Did the Bugs Go?

Praying Mantis only please don't call them bugs. It's been too long since I've seen one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Walking down the sidewalk today and I nearly stepped on a fuzzy caterpillar.
      And then the caterpillar say's "HEY, watch it mother f$#ker"!

Pcrack, you need to get out of the city for a while. The bugs are alive and well here in the country and they don't shoot, they just bite.
      Last edited by Gene Bickford; 06-27-2009, 09:09 PM.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Walking down the sidewalk today and I nearly stepped on a fuzzy caterpillar. Reminded me of being a kid when we would capture them and place them in mason jars. I couldn't remember the last time I saw one.

I haven't seen a grasshopper in 10 years. No Daddy Longlegs, honey bees....nothing. Are they still there and I'm just not noticing? I would be sad if they arn't around anymore

Any other bugs missing?
        I can't speak for your area but we still have plenty of them here. We also have a bunch of owls and raccoons. The other night we were out front and two 30+ pounds raccoons came sneaking down the street and snuck into our back yard. I'm guessing we will start seeing mointain lions again soon.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You need to get out of the city.
          Anyone seen one of these recently?
          One was on my garage door, such a cool insect. The only time you see one is if they venture out of the trees an on to a high contrast object

Comment

I thought we exported the bugs to China inside Rubbermaid machines when Wal-Mart forced them to shut down because they refused to make them for pennies on the dollar....

Newll Rubbermaid bought the infamous vice grips shut down the factory in Dewitt NE and now they all come from china..pure crap in fancy packaging to wow! us.

I wondered about bugs in chineese food too?

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
              You need to get out of the city.
              Anyone seen one of these recently?
              One was on my garage door, such a cool insect. The only time you see one is if they venture out of the trees an on to a high contrast object
              No but I did put my bath robe on once only to find a 5" centipede in the sleeve.

Mark
              Attached Files
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I was sitting in my truck, in a parking lot (Salinas CA). When here comes a lizard, being from MN all those years, I haven't seen one in 20 something years. I watched him running around for about 5 minutes, major flash back to my childhood.

PC, when we were kids, we played in the grass/fields/woods, thats probably why we saw so many bugs and critters. Now we're pretty much indoors, cars, and pavements.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

we don't have a lot of different species up here.

flies, mosquitoes, some butterflies, and bumble bees that are the size of a your thumb at the first knuckle. it almost looks like they have fur.

i get a big kick out of watching my people FREAK when a fly comes close to them and i'm not just talking about the women. some men will run away from them. WTF?

we have more mosquitoes than you can shake a piece of driftwood at. if your missing some, they're probably up here.

Vince

Comment

When I think of a city bugs, I don't think of wood insects, but city ones like roaches, crabs, and bed bugs.

When I hit the 6' tall mark, anything below 3' pretty much escapes my attention---unless it squeals when I step on it.

Bees went gone for a while, though. A month ago a big Vince-style one flew in the house and I gently showed it out.
                    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Any other bugs missing?
                      Volkswagon
                      The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                        we don't have a lot of different species up here.

flies, mosquitoes, some butterflies, and bumble bees that are the size of a your thumb at the first knuckle. it almost looks like they have fur.

i get a big kick out of watching my people FREAK when a fly comes close to them and i'm not just talking about the women. some men will run away from them. WTF?

we have more mosquitoes than you can shake a piece of driftwood at. if your missing some, they're probably up here.

Vince
                        OMG Vince I had to laugh when I read this because I've witnessed these thumb sized bumble bees

I spent some time in the Yukon (Whitehorse) when I was younger. I happened to be working near SNAFU Lake (no kidding) cutting firewood in an old forest fire burn. We were cutting 8' saw logs and loading semi trailers 20 chords at a time (8' high, 8' wide and 40' long). We had just finished transferring a load to the trailer from our bunch truck one day and we were having a rest when I hear what I think is a small helicopter approaching...
                        So I'm straining my eyes searching the sky and low and behold the biggest bloody bumble bee I've ever seen in my life comes sailing by. I'm in shock, never seen anything like it (I'm from Vancouver Island). You could hear the thing coming for about a city block

Very interesting country up that way... you mentioned mosquitoes, seen plenty of those but our biggest problem was black flies. Enough to drive you crazy... A small cloud of them would hover around your head while you were working and take turns dive bombing your ears, eyes, nose and mouth Makes me shiver just thinking about it. We would mix our chainsaw gas a little rich in hopes that the exhaust would keep them at bay but that didn't work very well. We had a very smart Frenchman who managed to find a bee keepers hat somewhere (with the netting). He could have sold that to one of us for a small fortune but he wouldn't sell it

A couple of other things that stick out in my mind are the sound of the loons and the northern lights
                        Cheers! - Jim
                        -------------
                        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Come to Ky. We have plenty to send back with you. Especially mosquitos and spiders.

Comment

Working...
                          X