X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those with kids

Think back when your kid was 5-6. Did they get slower in their movements? I tell my son to hurry up and he seems to go in a time warp where the entire world is moving but him.

What about attention level? I tell the boy to grab the shopvac. With quick glance around the garage, he tells me he can't find it. It's at his feet.

Is this going to get better or worse?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: For those with kids

this requires a professional

call joey

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Worse, at about age 10 their hearing goes away altogether. It returns about age 21.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Agree with BD........
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I think it is normal,

one thing I have found is kids can absorb about one instruction at a time, they have great difficulty with a string of things,

such as go brush your teeth,
          wash your face,
          Go bath room,
          put your pajamas on,
          now go to bed,

instead of
          It's is time for bed, go get ready for bed now.

and I think it will continue up to about high school,

I have had close to 20 different young people out on the farm his last week, the first couple of days, I had basically high school kids, I could give a group instruction, Example,
          lets clean up this area and get ready to lay down some ground cover and put some poles down to store fence posts and pallets on, and once they basically understood the concept they could work out the small details,

the third day, I got a group of middle school kids, 14 of them,nearly each had to be showed nearly ever task individually, and most had to be assigned a chore to complete or they would stand looking like a deer in the head lights,
          but once, assigned a task they did well,
          but they could not take a string of instructions very well, (there were a few exceptions),

my grand son can not find the nose on his face unless you point it out, he is 6,
          and I do not understand there thought process, either, I had him try to sweep the floor in the meat room of the barn, and he would start in the middle of the room, instead of working from the edges to the center, (now I know his mother has tried for nearly two years to get him to understand the concept but so far he has not understood or accepted the concept),

I know when talking with my kids (was talking to my son a few days ago, and the discussion of mowing came up and he was talking about trying to get his "daughter" to mow the lawn, (she wanted some spending money), but he said she keep missing bits and had to be show the missed places, and he commented on how he could not see the places he missed mowing as a youth, until he was shown the places.

so there is a learning and complying process that young people are still trying to assemble and use and it seems to take time, and does not seem to really come to a working reality until there mid teens, (it seems to me that the girls have an edge over guys in this process),
          Last edited by BHD; 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

it's normal Ben. and it can get worse.

he's a kid. he wants to explore and play.

my 15 yo doesn't want to do anything. although, there are times he pleasantly surprises me.

he discovered girls so at least he starting to keep himself clean without having to be told. he also got himself a summer job.

to be honest, i didn't really like doing yard work. but at that age i didn't understand that my Dad was supporting us and he needed the help to run the household. i think if he had made the work enjoyable and offered more praise, i wouldn't have minded so much.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Think back when your kid was 5-6. Did they get slower in their movements? I tell my son to hurry up and he seems to go in a time warp where the entire world is moving but him.

What about attention level? I tell the boy to grab the shopvac. With quick glance around the garage, he tells me he can't find it. It's at his feet.

Is this going to get better or worse?
              I often have the same problem, especially when it comes to finding things. Put something right in front of me, and I'll never see it. Usually because I don't know what said object will look like, or it's image just doesn't register. BUT, bury something in a junkyard, I'll find it instantly.

The hard part for me though, when told to do something, I am often at a loss as to how exactly my employer wants it done, much to the test of his patience. Especially when it comes to gathering things (On or Off work) I always seem to forget something, even if I wrote down a list. I know not how other people do it successfully, but it would be nice if I could do it.

Comment

Ben, 5,or six is still kind of little to be the attentive helper, but I think it helps if you calmly explain what you want , show him a few times and even have a dry run or practice. Kids have tv, ipods, computers a host of electronic games and play dates, not to mention school and when they are a little older romance. Getting their attention and rewarding them when they do something right can only help. Things that undermine your efforts would be the kids mother butting in, I've had plenty of that in the past. I always did my best to not just bark out orders, but explain why I wanted the help and often suggested time management tips. Try and remove distractions from their/his surroundings. For example, if you asked him to bring the shop vac and along the way was a cat with a new litter of kittens, or a tv set , chances are he will have foregotten where he was headed! Kids are a challenge, a stern voice, simple clear instructions and a guiding hand (I mean guiding, not hitting) can go a long way. Always remember he will grow into a man, help make him a responsible, caring, kind, brave, inquisitive, happy and loving soul. Don't expect him to be perfect even if he does well for a while, he is human and will most likely screw up from time to time. One last word and I'll shut up. Don't think it will get any easier as he grows and matures. My older daughter is a student at an ivy league college, great student and bright kid, but she is not very respectful at times although I have tried my best and I mean really tried. A year before she started college, we bought her a car (no one ever bought me a car) and she was very responsible with it. One afternoon I asked her to move it a little as it was blocking the driveway a little. She was watching tv and said she would move it when she was ready! I pulled her up from her reclined position on the bed and said she was going to move it now! She proceded to fight me, digging her nails into my hands and arms, wrestling me as if she was going to kick my butt. She 125lbs, me 210lbs, as I had her on the ground with my hand on her throat I was very upset things had gotten so out of hand so fast. I was mad at my wife for all the years she alowed the overall disrespect to grow, the lack of parental support to become well established. I did not hurt her, aside from her feelings, and I think she learned an important lesson? Kids don't come with instructions, old saying but true. While similar, they are all different. Don't expect you won't make mistakes, it happens, just try and think things through a bit. Try not to let them get into a habbit of hitting you even in fun, or cursing, it really weakens the respect of the relationship. Sorry to carry on, it gets very complicated and never stops!

Comment

My oldest boy who is 18, just caused a scenario. I received 2 emails and a phone call, yesterday. Apparently Friday evening, my boy was asking people to go to the bottle store for him (no one went). He wanted some Whiskey and Schnapps. So this morning, I gave my ex a call to talk about this. She had no clue as to what was going on.

Here I sit, well over 2000 miles away in CA, and I'm being told. So we ended up in an argument because she thinks that I think that she's not doing her parenting. Domino effects, because of him just being a teenager. We all did the same, but as we get older, we don't wanna see our kids in harms way. I know for a fact, if he would have gotten ahold of some booze, he would have been behind the wheel too.

Years of drilling (well not drilling), but being firm about drinking and driving, I guess we could say that he wasn't listening. Now the boy will be mad at me for sometime. Heck, I also feel that I may have saved his or someone's else life, that stands for something. I also believe as BD said, when they get older, they'll come around. In the mean time, he will probably be in big trouble with his Mother. Gear, this is parenting, you can be so insightful to your children, and there's deaf ears right next to you. Just do your best, and kids usually come out fine. Don't let em get to lazy though, when you have your kids do something, praise them and hope for the best.
                  Last edited by garager; 06-29-2009, 02:30 AM.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks to everyone and their comments. I don't feel that all is lost now.
                    Last edited by gear junkie; 06-29-2009, 09:30 AM.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                    X