Diabetic Maybe/Hospital Again/Truck Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetic Maybe/Hospital Again/Truck Problem

Is there members in here that are diabetic?

I got a phone call from a doctor that I saw a few nights back, here in CA. He wanted me to come in and get another blood test done. My blood sugar reading was 326, but I think I ate just before I went to the ER. He says it could have been a false reading and wanted me there last night.

OK, so I hop into the rig and set the GPS for the Hospital and took off. I get to 3 blocks before the Hospital and my low air (brakes) warning light and buzzer kicks on. I was able to get into a parking lot before my emergency brakes locked up.

This is around midnight, I checked out my situation, the lines weren't filling back up w/air. I said screw it and started to head for the hospital, thta's when I saw the sign that said for patients only, all others will be towed. This made me turn around and go back to the truck.

Now if I'm in the hospital and the truck gets towed away and I come back and it's gone. This would be considered abandonment of the vehicle. Then I would be fired. So I kept on trying to figure out the problem w/the truck. Eventually I got the air back into the brake lines and proceeded to the hospital.

I could not get the truck into their parking lot, because of a low over hang in the entrance driveway. Now I'm going to try to around the hospital and find somewhere, to park. Every street for 3/4 of a mile would not allow me to turn, no trucks are allowed down these streets. So I said screw this and went back to my hotel room. I guess I'll take a taxi tonight to the hospital.

I went to the Peterbilt shop, w/the truck this morning and they found nothing wrong with the air makeup supply, go figure. I see future problems maybe, the mechanic said it could be dirt in the lines that stopped a valve from work. I said, how can this be, it's an enclosed system. Anyhow, a $100.00 later and nothing was done basically.

So tonight I'll find out if I'm Diabetic/Borderline/Whatever. I eat right, fruits, whole wheat, salads, chicken grilled or baked, sometimes I'll have a burger or steak. I really do not eat potatoes or pasta or gravy, things like that. However I need to learn to eat even more properly apparently. Anybody else Diabetic in here, who can shed some light on this subject for me.

I know I need to exercise properly, which will be difficult for what I do. I am about 11-12 pounds over weight, which isn't bad, for my height. I'm 5'11" and should weight a max of 186 lbs, if I recall right. Last I checked I weigh 198 lbs, with shoes, clothes, pocket change, wallet, check book, keys, and so on.... lol

Did this turn into a blog or what.....LOL

I'll try to get back in here in the morning tomorrow. We have a load assignment for tomorrow afternoon, my codriver, is finally somewhat ready to roll. We've had nothing but bad luck, crappy things happening to us, since we rolled into this town, I want out right now!!!!! But I have to see the doctor before I can leave..... Later..... Mark
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Diabetic Maybe/Hospital Again/Truck Problem

Hi,

You "might" think I am "crazy" (most do)

BUT - have you ever noticed the rate of diabetics growing?

Have you noticed the alarming rate that the commercials on TV are growing for "blood testers"

Its the FOOD -

Watch a movie called "Food INC" AND you will see what I mean...

Here also read this:

FROM 2006 NYtimes:

Engineering Food at Level of Molecules

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/te...gy/10nano.html

FROM 2009 NYtimes:

How the Food Makers Captured Our Brains

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html

Comment

Garager, the air system of your brakes is not sealed in other words it's always pulling in air to make up for the air you lose applying the brakes. Moisture is pulled in too which is why you need to add alcohol during the Winter to prevent freeze up. I don't know the entire system but for $100 I would think the mechanic could pull a valve or two and blow them out? I remember that bad feeling watching the air gauge fall and knowing the brakes were gonna lock up. Regarding the health concerns, I'm 5'10 215lb myself and don't have that problem, so I don't think your weight is a factor? Any history in the family? Get answers, diet and medicine if necessary. Good luck.

Comment

I understand all of that and yes we have automatic air valves, for bleeding out the moisture. But it is not suppose to be collecting dirt. I think the problem is the regulator or a sensor, which isn't turning on the compressor. If it doesn't act up, during the time that the mechanic is looking at it, he's just chasing a ghost. They would not replace anything, because our company said, if you can't prove that it's bad, do not replace it. Kind of risky if you ask me. We go up and down the Rockies 5 times a week, this doesn't go well with me at all.

My dad is borderline, as well as one of my sisters. I know I had a high reading once before, a yr or 2 ago. However, that's because I just ate and had no plans to go to a clinic that day. I can't remember why I was there, but it wasn't a schedule testing. Then we did a schedule test, where I fasted for 12 hrs and my blood sugar level was fine. I think this is the same situation, and I'll find out tonight. I do have lab work done on me, twice a year and my cholesterol/s reading are decent too. However, I do have high blood pressure, which does run with diabetes.

But, I would like to know, how the diabetic in here, handles their diet. I do eat properly, but on occasions I like to have a greasy burger or a thick juicy steak. We only live once and I cannot go against my cravings for a burger, once in a while, ummmmm good food........LOL

Thanks, guys.............
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I hope like hell they got a false reading, I am diabetic and it aint no fun.Bloodsugar should be in the 100 range and not much over that even after eating if you are healthy. I'm not on insulin right now just several oral meds. Diet is everything, you have to eat regular amounts at regular times for the meds to stabilize your bloodsugars. No skipping meals, no eating a big meal so you can skip one. Constant testing and med changes until you find what works for you. As for the rest of your story, get the hell out of Californication and stay out of there, too damned many problems for you.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            I understand all of that and yes we have automatic air valves, for bleeding out the moisture. But it is not suppose to be collecting dirt. I think the problem is the regulator or a sensor, which isn't turning on the compressor. If it doesn't act up, during the time that the mechanic is looking at it, he's just chasing a ghost. They would not replace anything, because our company said, if you can't prove that it's bad, do not replace it. Kind of risky if you ask me. We go up and down the Rockies 5 times a week, this doesn't go well with me at all.

My dad is borderline, as well as one of my sisters. I know I had a high reading once before, a yr or 2 ago. However, that's because I just ate and had no plans to go to a clinic that day. I can't remember why I was there, but it wasn't a schedule testing. Then we did a schedule test, where I fasted for 12 hrs and my blood sugar level was fine. I think this is the same situation, and I'll find out tonight. I do have lab work done on me, twice a year and my cholesterol/s reading are decent too. However, I do have high blood pressure, which does run with diabetes.

But, I would like to know, how the diabetic in here, handles their diet. I do eat properly, but on occasions I like to have a greasy burger or a thick juicy steak. We only live once and I cannot go against my cravings for a burger, once in a while, ummmmm good food........LOL

Thanks, guys.............
            I`m a type 2 Diabetic and am on one pill in the morning thank God and it is no joke later in life and if you don`t control your diet and your sugar intake now the complications you will suffer are loss of legs etc which happened to my mother so joke about it now and have that hamburger and thick juicy steak but you wont be joking when it gets out of control which one day it will and be to late.

Tony

Comment

My wife had gestational diabetes, she didn't have to do insulin, but she did have to count carbs. The burger wouldn't cause her blood sugar problems, but the bun would.

Comment

Garager

If you have any more blood tests or urine tests, be 1000% sure to follow all doctor's instructions on fasting. Normally that means going X hours with NOTHING but water. I don't have diabetes thankfully but will never forget the worried look on my doctor's face when blood test results came back from the lab. Then I told him I may have messed things up and wanted to take the test again in a few days. The second time everything was good.

I sure hope it was a false alarm. Having any type of diabetes is hell on you at best. If you do have it, be sure to take care of yourself. If you don't get along with your doctor, do go see another.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

The Old Howling Hound

================================================== ================================================== ========

Part 2:

In regard to your truck breaks issue have the brake lines cleaned with clean compressed air, the air storage tank washed out and drained and all valves cleaned and checked. There should be an intake filter on the air compressor. Check it and be sure it's good.

I'm not a trucker or a truck mechanic, but I have a pretty good idea on how the system works. Also, with anything pneumatic, internal cleaning (and lubrication as needed) is a must. Put simple, try another truck service center.
                Last edited by Woussko; 07-06-2009, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I'm 66 with type 2. A change in Your eye sight is the 1st clue. Eye Drs. are usually the 1st ones to catch this. Your ##s are scary! another sign itchy skin, frequent peeing. angry mood swings when sugar is low.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well world, my life is about to change drastically. I am a diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic. I have to pick up my meds in the morning, 2 pills a day. Time to learn real fast.

I have to get check ups every 2 weeks for the first 2 months. The doctor that I saw, has to call my employer and tell them about me. This could affect my ability to drive and the possibility of having to change careers again, ouch.

Tonight my #'s was 310 and 265, the checked me twice. Gave me a crash course on whats in the future for me and gave me some pamplets, shook my hand and sent me out the door.

Maybe, it is time to go back home to MN, get this all under control and start my business back up. It'll be damn difficult for me to exercise daily and proper food intake. This is a huge decision for me. I also have to find a class to take, to teach me about all of this. The first thing the doc said to me, after giving the news to me was, don't read the net or listen to others about their remedies and such.

He gave me a couple of sites to go and learn, that are reputable. The thing about all of this, I really don't feel like my life is crashing, I feel more like I need to make a huge change and stay positive, and lead a long and productive life. One thing about me is, I never quit. I may make changes, because I can see something bad that may happen. Kind of like closing my doors on my business because of the economy, but I sure didn't lock the doors. I still have all my licenses and tools, so I could always start back up, when I need to.

We go back on the road tomorrow, gotta take one to Nevada, change trailers with another team, come back here and grab another load, then head back to Chi Town. There giving us the loads as a solo driver, incase Jerry can't push in the clutch and drive. That's that, time to hit the sac and stop thinking about all of this for 6-7 hours.

Thanks for all of your replies, I really appreciate what you have to say... Mark

Comment

Dang, I can't sleep........ LOL

I called my Dad back home and my sister, explained whats going on with me and decided I will go back home for at least 2 weeks, to get this under control and do a lot of research and learning. I hope my company will be understanding, if not I'm done w/trucking. Rick, what the heck are you doing up this late?????

Comment

Your #s are bad my friend, for your sake, get off the road. There is no way you can take proper care while driving over the road. Settle down and find a good diabetes clinic for support. Carbs and sugars are what you have to watch out for with diabetes, but you are also a very high risk for heart trouble. You MUST change your diet now, cutting way back on the fats and cholesterol intake. Everything is magnified by the diabetes.
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Mark, Millions of Us deal with this every day. I work 6 days each week. The Meds. do their job. The American DIA. ASSOC . meetings are Your best friend. You will learn soo much from Your New friends at these meetings. There are little children, type 1, taking insulin shorts each day! Type 2 like You and Me need to say our prayers and be grateful! Good luck,Tool
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well I got a couple of hours of sleep in. This is wicked when you get news that has a profound impact in life. Pharmacy opens in 2 hrs, I'll be at their door and get whatever I need to battle this. Now I have to call my ex and tell her I'm coming to town and I'd like to see my kids, it's been a while....

Comment

Garager, I'm glad you are getting the proper medical attention and that you are taking this seriously. Count on plenty of encouragement and support from the folks here. Maybe you do need to be back home for the time being to sort things out? The meds, diet, exercise and all that it will take to stay on top of this condition could lead to a longer and healthier life in the long run. Best of luck and I'm praying for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X