Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little sail boat race update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Little sail boat race update

    i tightened up the rigging. checked the ballest. got myself a good spot on the shore of williamson lake.

    all we do is let go of the boat and race to the shore on the other side of the lake. first, second, and third prizes only. $200, $150, and $100 respectively.

    about 50 boats were entered.

    picked up my little boat on the other side (first time i actually completed a race without capsizing) and a $100.

    sweet!!

    Vince

    another race on the 9th (nunavut day)

    it's not so much the money (although i sure needed the money), it's the bragging rights.

  • #2
    Re: Little sail boat race update

    congrats. now i guess we'll have to call you Commodore or Admiral Vince

    steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Little sail boat race update

      my kids are learning to sail.

      Any words of wisdom for them, Vince?
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Little sail boat race update

        Nice going Vince. You guys do a lot of fun stuff, very boring here in CT.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Little sail boat race update

          So your H2O is actually liquid now up there

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Little sail boat race update

            Originally posted by lmpg View Post
            my kids are learning to sail.
            Originally posted by lmpg View Post

            Any words of wisdom for them, Vince?
            well, it's been a long time since i was on the lake with my Dad in his sail boat, so i can't exactly remember the terminology but it has to do with sailing against the wind.

            i think it's called "tacking". zig-zagging against the wind.

            can't remember the word but when the boom slams from one side of the boat to the other i seem to remember the word "DUCK!!!".

            one more. don't beach your boat and get sand wedged in the space were the keel is. we couldn't lower the keel and started slip slidding away ()across the water under full sail. scared the $h!t out me after it scared the $h!t out of my Dad.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKxyoud_c-E

            it was a good experience, thats because i'm still alive and here to tell the story, but .............if you'll pardon my language........................l'll fardg'in not repeat my Dad's fook up.

            Vince

            beautiful pictures by the way impg. nice to see the life jackets. ever considered helmets?

            the reason i ask is because a couple of years back a guy up here was out checking his nets. he slipped and smacked his head on the boat and drowned.

            i know it might sound kind of dorky but the city of yelowknife, NorthWest Territories (NWT), enacted a city bylaw in that every person under the age of sixteen on a bicycle, skateboard, rollerblades, must wear an approved helmet. the deputy fire chief at the time told me that the head injury percentage was reduced by 75%. that's significant.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Little sail boat race update

              Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Nice going Vince. You guys do a lot of fun stuff, very boring here in CT.


              colour (color) outside the lines.

              up here if i didn't have a hobby, i'd probably watch a lot of TV. not that there's anything wrong with that.

              sometimes all you gotta do is stop and smell the moss.

              Vince

              you know that thing you've been walking by for years and everytime you see it you tell yourself "i gotta fix that", fix it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Little sail boat race update

                Originally posted by Josh View Post
                So your H2O is actually liquid now up there


                1 week ago.

                actually, it seems like the wind has turned-about 180 degrees. about-face.

                cold spring.

                global cooling??

                Vince
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Little sail boat race update

                  Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post

                  well, it's been a long time since i was on the lake with my Dad in his sail boat, so i can't exactly remember the terminology but it has to do with sailing against the wind.

                  i think it's called "tacking". zig-zagging against the wind.

                  can't remember the word but when the boom slams from one side of the boat to the other i seem to remember the word "DUCK!!!".

                  one more. don't beach your boat and get sand wedged in the space were the keel is. we couldn't lower the keel and started slip slidding away ()across the water under full sail. scared the $h!t out me after it scared the $h!t out of my Dad.

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKxyoud_c-E

                  it was a good experience, thats because i'm still alive and here to tell the story, but .............if you'll pardon my language........................l'll fardg'in not repeat my Dad's fook up.

                  Vince

                  beautiful pictures by the way impg. nice to see the life jackets. ever considered helmets?

                  the reason i ask is because a couple of years back a guy up here was out checking his nets. he slipped and smacked his head on the boat and drowned.

                  i know it might sound kind of dorky but the city of yelowknife, NorthWest Territories (NWT), enacted a city bylaw in that every person under the age of sixteen on a bicycle, skateboard, rollerblades, must wear an approved helmet. the deputy fire chief at the time told me that the head injury percentage was reduced by 75%. that's significant.
                  The use of life jackets is non negotiable. That's been the rule since they've been in in diapers. We're starting to catch some lip from our soon-to-be 12 yr old because it's "not cool."

                  Point taken on the helmets. I would have one heck of a fight on my hands if I tried to enforce a helmet law on them. I'm afraid they'd never go on the water. My pictures don't show it, but there are two crash boats monitoring the kids at all times. That doesn't mean something bad can't happen, but it does lower the odds.

                  I'll be sure to pass on the "DUCK" advice!

                  And sand in your keel is never a good thing!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Little sail boat race update

                    Congrats, Vince!!! Well done! Thanks for the update. Good to hear you've got liquid water up there finally. We've been having a cool summer, too. Weird how that works.

                    I know you have some ballast in the keel, but maybe if you added some sail and put in a more traditional-shaped keel that hangs into the water more? More sail means faster, and the added weight will help keep it going straighter without falling over. There used to be some websites that were dedicated to boat building and have some formulas for figuring the sail area to keel weight proportions. Also, if you're in an area with lots of cross currents at the surface, a long flat keel weight will cause an underwater sail effect that can be rather not so good! That's one reason the racing boats went to a weight tank hung off the keel with a single strong strut-like attachment. The bulbous shape of the weight tank kept it from being sail-like underwater.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Little sail boat race update

                      the winds were fierce today.

                      42 kliks (26mph) mega-gusting to 58kph (36mph).

                      my little "Tammy" is just under 2ft long.

                      i had to fill the ziploc sandwich bag to the maximum. maybe 3lbs of sand in the rear hold.

                      at least the little gale (gail?) force winds were consistant.

                      i got third again!! and $40.

                      Vince

                      happy Nunavut day all!!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X