X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you your old boss?

I woke up thinking about all the really bad bosses I had during my apprenticeship and early journeyman years. Granted, I'm not the sharpest knife, but I always showed up and tried my best.

What is a bad boss?
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Re: Are you your old boss?

Having unreasonable expectations of fellow workers, and making such disappointments overly known to all when such inhuman standards aren't met.

For me, it's when small, and easily repairable mistakes are made, the response is always on a standard on par with accidentally causing the next apocolypse. Or, my personal favorite, forgetting one stupid item for a job (Like a plastic box, something that we have a stock of on the truck anyway) and I'm labeled a complete moron for the next three days. Nevermind I kept high grades through school, nevermind I made dean's list a couple times through college, nevermind I go through code classes dutifully and faithfully, forget one lousy item and I'm an idiot.

Comment

Being impatient is the worst thing of any boss. As the director of clinical engineering in a hospital, I found myself going away from "hands-on" experiences with equipment service.

When a technician would have a "simple" task to address I'd become impatient with him as I felt it took too much time to accomplish the task. I'd tell him I'd be able to do it in five minutes not 20 minutes....

Well the [smart and capable] technician challenged me to a race replacing a hospital grade plug on a centrifuge. We agreed upon a start time......and agreed to have all the necessary tools and parts at hand.

Well I ended up spending almost 40 minutes changing a plug! I first had to wait for the centrifuge to become available. I then had to wrestle the heavy machine to access the power cord....then try to get between the wall and machine to remove the defective plug. I then spent time preparing the cord for the new plug, and prepping the new plug for the cord. With a flashlight in my mouth I barely had room to work yet see my work. Finally I had to grab the safety analyzer to ensure all was wired correctly and electrically safe. Then I had to put everything back as I found it and begin the documentation.

My technician was successful within 25 minutes....

This challenge cost me a lunch but it made me realize sitting at a desk pushing papers and playing politics made me loose perspective of the time it really takes to accomplish a task.
      At that time I decided to become a working director and spend a few hours a day working with the staff.

This resulted in improving productivity as we came up with solutions to problems faster, and I earned the respect and admiration of the staff for rolling up my sleeves and working in the field with them.

I still ended up working longer hours as I still had those stupid meetings and reports to do, but my staff became a more cohesive group.

Cactus Man

Comment

Someone who does not know the job they are supervising. Lacking in "people" skills, how to communicate without insulting or threatening. Not leading by example. The best bosses I had were not pushovers or bullies, they knew the job and respected the effort we made. They understood the complex situations and did not make unreadsonable blanket statements. They knew how to listen as well as give instructions. Overall the hands down worst bosses were the college grads who only knew the job from a book. I can show you pictures and describe how to use a hammer, but until you pick one up you will never appreciate it fully, or respect those who can.

Comment

Bad boss, one that never compliments and does not know how to teach well.......
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Someone who does not know the job they are supervising.
            I don't think my boss needs to be able to do my job, but I do feel that my boss should be able to learn to do my job and should understand what it takes to do my job. I sort of think this should be true for about 1-3 levels of management. I don't think a VP needs to be able to do the day to day things he manages, but below that should have the capability of doing it or at least something similar (e.g., my last Director was a physicist not a computer scientist; but that's close enough for me).

Comment

The 3 times that I was flat out fired was by supervisors who weren't plumbers. Two were office manager types and the other was a ex-maintenance man who got the job because nobody else applied for it.
              (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                The 3 times that I was flat out fired was by supervisors who weren't plumbers. Two were office manager types and the other was a ex-maintenance man who got the job because nobody else applied for it.

That reminds me of this time I went on a Roto Rooter interview.....

Comment

I could write a book on this subject.
                  -inconsistency, nothing worse than a boss that's bipolar

-poor communication-this is the #1 problems in all workplaces. Many times the bosses and the employees don't communicate their priorites to each other. Yes, your employees priorities needs are important.

-if an assignment is given, then those giving the order need to understand it thoroughly.

-God complex-Just because you're in charge doesn't mean you control someone's life.

-not holding yourself to the same standards as your employees.

-bosses need to understand that people aren't robots and everyone responds differently to ways of motivation. Along those same lines, everyone has different talents and knowledge. Use the people where they're equipped to succeed.

Quick story; when I was in africa, I met an old friend who got kicked out of the navy because he stood up to one of his bosses and was finally thrown out after 3 years. He now worked for PAE as a cilivian contractor and he told me he saw an application come across his desk a couple years ago. He reconized the name and told the guy to come down as he was hired. The guy flys all the way down, on his own dime, and walks into the office where my friend works. Guy walk in and his jaw drops as he was the boss that got my friend kicked out of the navy. My friend told him that the position just got filled and sorry he didn't get the job. The guy had to fly all the way back home. Gotta love karma.

Point is, the person you pee on today might be the person who work for tommorrow.....or something like that.

So to answer the question in the title; I am definently not like my old bosses...........you can learn alot from a dummy.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    I could write a book on this subject.
                    -inconsistency, nothing worse than a boss that's bipolar

Ted Turner is Bi-Polar.......

btw; That's a Disability that people can not help......
                    Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 07-19-2009, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Sorry you're offended but that's my opinion. A boss that reacts drastically differently to the same situation is no fun to work with. How can you approach someone like that? If your boss is always an a$$hole, you know that, you're prepared for that, it's easier to deal with. But one with emotions that change with the minute hand, not so much.

BTW-Ted Turner is on the bottom of my list of great americans. Considering he's married to Jane Fonda.............I still think she should be executed for what she did in vietnam. Sorry for the thread drift.
                      Last edited by gear junkie; 07-19-2009, 12:51 AM.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sorry you're offended but that's my opinion. A boss that reacts drastically differently to the same situation is no fun to work with. How can you approach someone like that? If your boss is always an a$$hole, you know that, you're prepared for that, it's easier to deal with. But one with emotions that change with the minute hand, not so much.
                        Oh so basically being an A$$HOLE everyday is better then being "bi-polar"

Man, That is just some good stuff......

You have every right to your opinion, Its all good ....I respectfully just disagree, Thats all

Comment

Sorry for the thread drift.
                          me too.

Lets get back on topic

Please

YES, I also dislike unsteady bosses

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                            Ted Turner is Bi-Polar.......

I agree that psychiatric conditions are disabiling, although many can be brought under control with a good regime of medication/s. The problem is that when working for a boss we may not be aware of the condition or may lose sight of it which makes dealing with it very difficut. My mother in-law was manic and bi-polar, we had a love for eachother but unfortunately she was not always stable enough to control her outbursts and I reacted without thinking of her problems. We need more education and reminders that folks have problems beyond the physical we ca see. Bosses with these conditions need to get help and or switch to positions where they are not in contact with the workforce and under extreme stress. Jane Fonda received massive coverage when she went to Vietnam and caused problems for our troops. A proper apology should have included the same level of media coverage and heartfelt words and actions to repent for damage done. I certainly think her actions were treasonous.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                              You can't help being color blind, but you can't be an air traffic controller.

Just because you can't help it doesn't mean you are still unqualified.

Comment

Working...
                              X