X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminder for back yard welders

With the summer and wicked heat upon us we tend to forget the rules of welding. You really need to wear long sleeves when welding. The arc of a welder (type does not matter) produces extremely high levels of UV radiations. A few minutes of welding is equivalent to a few hours of intense sun exposure. If you are not careful you can get yourself a wicked sun burn from welding. In case you are wondering, ya I forgot but no bad damage. This is from maybe 4 minutes of actual welding about 30" in total of 1/2" plate mig welder set to 180A. I have a natural farmers tan but the inside of the arm is mostly from today!
    Attached Files

Re: Reminder for back yard welders

Also, don't neglect the importance of proper eyewear

Comment

What not even if you poke really tiny holes in the paper?
      Revised outfit, helmet and gloves were standard, added the Muskoka (Adirondack) diner jacket
      Attached Files

Comment

well obviously the problem with "paper eyewear" in this example is that he didn't wet it down first. It might catch on fire like that!

Comment

Wayne, for about $25 you can pick up a light weight welders jacket at a the local welding supply. They are flame retardant so they won't melt or burn.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i have the fire proof sleeves when i weld
            watch out for cotton it burns
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Just a tip guys! Be especially aware when TIG welding! Tig seems to be so neat & tame, no sparks & burns, but the UV is astronomic compared to other methods as no smoke absorbs the radiation. Also the TIG "flame" because it is so clean, generates a lot more UV at very low current!
              Any sort of long sleeves will protect you just fine, (but ladies, your lingerié won't do it!)

Comment

Never do any welding without good welder's gloves and not the cheapo ones either. Go to a professional welding supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Never do any welding without good welder's gloves and not the cheapo ones either. Go to a professional welding supplier.
                  reminds me of a old joke I heard one time,
                  sales man comes into a black smiths shop and the black smith is making some horse shoes,
                  and when he is done making one he throws it in the sand pile next to the forge, after a few Min's of standing and looking curiosity gets the best of the sales man and he reaches down and picks one of the horse shoes up and instantly drops it back into the sand.
                  Black smith says "HOT, wasn't it?"
                  Sales man says, "NO, it just does not take me long to look at a horse shoe."

over the years I have found some times it just does not take me long to look at that piece of iron,

I have never found a pair that fits,
                  I have bought a few pair and my son has wore them out, but I never have found any to fit decently, I just use a pair of cuffed leather gloves,

one other tip when using a cutting torch do not let it catch inside of the glove cuff when lit, Even if it is not there very long it does not help your skin any, it ends up looking a little worst than the "sun burn" picture, in the first post,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                  X