X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Internet SCAM Thread

I thought it would be helpful to post SCAMS to help others realize what is going on out there.

This is an example of a very well written yet obvious Craiglist SCAM.

-------
    Hello,

If you are interested in my 1990 Suntracker 28', I must mention that it is in perfect condition. It has 1784 hours. It has a clear title ready to be signed and notarized on your name.

I have the pictures hosted on the net and you can see them at :
    http://www.fototime.com/users/scottanderson@kqemail.com/My%20Pictures

The pontoon is located in Springfield, MO.

The price is $2,777 and there are no other costs regarding this transaction. I am selling the pontoon because I am in the army and my unit will be deployed to Afghanistan next month.

The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party because this way we will both be protected. My time is limited due to my job in the army so I decided to use a service from PlugnPay which will serve as our 3rd escrow party in this transaction. To begin the transaction I'll need your full name and shipping address, I will forward the details of our transaction to PlugnPay and then you will receive an invoice from them.
    The pontoon will be shipped insured to your location with DAS and you will have 5 days for inspection, I will pay for shipping.

Thank you very much for your time.

Scott Anderson
    ---------

This ad was posted in a dozen or so regions of Craigslist and each one gave a different location. I originally found this boat on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BEAUT...%3A13%7C39%3A1 so I knew right off it was a SCAM.

Mark

BTW: Shipping alone on this boat would have been over $3,000 yet the "seller" was including it in the sale price.
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-25-2009, 02:39 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: The Internet SCAM Thread

Here is one I got by e-mail about a week or so ago:

Dear In Christ,

Greetings to you in the name of our lord Jesus.I am priviledged to introduce myself as Rev.pastor David Mathins, the senoir pastor of SONS OF FAITH REVIVAL MISSION newly relocated in Republic Of Benin.

There is this person who said he was your partner,The person said that you were of great assistance to him in the struggle to move his funds to your country which failed because of inadequate finance to complet the project at that time.

He have asked me to thank you immensely for him, he have asked my ministry to always pray for God to bless you.According to his statement,He said that God has told him him never to forget you expecially now that he have suceeded in transfering the funds through the help of a new partner from Poland.

Importantly,He asked me to send a certified bank cheque valued at $950,000,00 (Nine Hundred and fifty thousand us dollars) which he said is for your compensation for all your past efforts and attempts to assist him in the project. He appreciated your efforts at that time very much.

Now feel free to get intouch with me immedaitely or rather instruct me where to send the cheque to you.The cheque is a flat cashier cheque, you will cash the money at the designated international banks in your country.
    My name and address is as follows.

Rev.Pastor David Mathins
    Sons Of Faith Revival Mission
    Rue 24 Cotonou Republic Of Benin.
    Tel: +2299 8412 152

Email:revdavma@gmail.com

I have to appologize to you,I am surposed to contact you earlier than now but i have been occupied with ministerial work which gave me no time to inform you about this.
    I will wait your call as soon as possible.
    May God bless you richly.

Rev. David Mathins
    Sons Of Faith Revival Mission.

Comment

Attn: Sir/Madam,

I am Mr.Prosper Daniel, (Esq., solicitor and personal lawyer to late Mrs. Miranda a client of mine, who has a servicing firm affiliated with the National Port Authority here in Cote d'Ivoire.

She was awarded a contract worth of (US$17,000,000.00). Immediately this contract was signed, an initial amount of (US$9.000, 000.00) was paid to her as mobilization fee to kick off the contract. She duly completed this contract pending when her remaining balance of (US$8,000,000.00) will be paid to her.

On the 15Th March 2007, my client, her husband and their two kids were involved in a ghastly boat capsizes at Bassam. Unfortunately, all the occupants in the boat lost their lives. Not too long after her untimely death, her outstanding balance of (US$8,000,000.00) was approved and deposited in a Bank here and the National Ports Authority issued me a notice as her financial adviser to the deceased to provide the Next of Kin, relative or have the Account confiscated in a shot period of time and since then I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over a year that I have been searching.

As her financial attorney, I found out that you are bearing the same last name with my late client and that is what give me courage to WILL this fund in your name since you share the same last name with my late client and I have all the necessary Legal Documents that will be used to back up any claim we may make, all I require is your honest co-operation to enable us see this project through, I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of law until the transfer is done, and then you and l can share the fund, you will entitled to 35% of the total while 65% will be in my favour.

Kindly get back to me for more details.

Best personal regards,
      Mr.Prosper Daniel (Esq.

Comment

First of all I want to tell you that the car is still available and the price of $5,000.00. My 2006 Volkswagen Jetta is in great shape,no engine problems,damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged and never smoked in, It is in EXCELLENT condition; the body and paint are in good condition,no problem with the engine this vehicle is in good condition inside and out. the vehicle is in Culbertson, MT, United States. stored in a warehouse to the shipping company . I'm selling it at a low price because I've just moved to London,UK. and I can't register it here because didn't correspond with their specs here so for me this car is useless. The title is clear and paid in full i offer shipping and insurance fees.I will ship it from here on my expense through USHIP. I want to take the opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate, the financial part of this deal will be managed by the eBay's buyer protection program (They are acting like a third party in our deal). We will use eBay`s protection program for our safety. I have a purchase protection account there of $20.000 and will not deal outside of eBay under any circumstances. I just need your full name and address so i can initiate a Case ID at eBay. All you will need to do is wait for the invoice and follow the instructions eBay provides in there. After you receive the car you will have 15 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the money. If you wish to make the transaction, So if you agree please email me your full name and address so I can start the official procedure trough eBay and they will invoice you and you will know how the shipping will work for our deal. The final price is $5,000.00 including shipping from Culbertson, MT, United States. to your home address. So if you decide to buy this vehicle or need further information please get back to me as soon as possible.

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
        Mileage: 71,000 miles
        VIN: 3VWCT71K16M853507
        Body type: Sedan
        Engine: 4 Cylinder
        Exterior color: White
        Interior color: Tan
        Transmission: Automatic
        Fuel type: Diesel
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Here is a follow up to my original post. I offered to send my son who lives close by to do an inspection.

--
          Hello again,

Unfortunately the transaction must be finalized only through PlugnPay.
          Like I said, my current job doesn't allow me to do otherwise. I don't have enough free time to accept home visits. If you are no longer interested let me know as I have several other potential buyers.

Thank you,
          Scott Anderson

-----

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Here is a follow up to my original post. I offered to send my son who lives close by to do an inspection.

--
            Hello again,

Unfortunately the transaction must be finalized only through PlugnPay.
            Like I said, my current job doesn't allow me to do otherwise. I don't have enough free time to accept home visits. If you are no longer interested let me know as I have several other potential buyers.

Thank you,
            Scott Anderson

-----

Mark
            there is more crap in that letter than a septic tank with a dead drainfield

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
              there is more crap in that letter than a septic tank with a dead drainfield :d

steve
              lol!

Comment

Two of my favorite scams. Pay to be a mystery shopper, $25 gets you all the info, post links on Google, make hundreds a day! I don't think so. I have to go stuff envelopes.
                P.S., I can make you a millionaire with your own online business, that's right, learn my secrets and just watch the money roll in! You do nothing, that's right the business runs itself. I'm having a hard time spending all this money, help!

Comment

How about the very real looking E-mail from a major bank that you do business with (for real) but there's a message demanding you click a hyperlink and then enter info? If you hold your mouse pointer over the link you can see it's FAKE and to a hacker web site. If all goes well you delete the E-mail and that's the end of it, but how about the senior that thinks it is for real? What about people that are simply too trusting? I D Theft happens and you sure best pray real hard it doesn't come your way.

If your gut tells you not to take action then don't. If something just doesn't seem totally right it's bad. If it looks too good to be true, it's a big fat lie.

Comment

Buy Damn-It-All online at for only $12.95 for a huge bottle of 12 tablets. You'll feel so good after taking just one or two that you'll never want to not have lots of them on hand when things go wrong. So far this sounds not too bad but keep reading.

On their fake web site they ask you for all manor of personal information in order to setup an account so you can get your Damn-It-All. They want your driver's license info and your full SS number. Then if you read along while the bottle of 12 costs you $12.95 there's a 49.99 handling fee and a $19.99 fee to send it by economy delivery. They are good enough to say it may take up to 10 months to arrive. Now if you want it sooner you can pay $59.99 for USPS Priority Mail and then it should come within 10 days to you.

Please remember this is a little bottle that weighs under 6 Ounces and First Class Mail Package postage for such is under $3.00 to anywhere in the USA.

What a big rip-off this one is. I keep getting this one by E-mail all the time. I now setup SPAM Buster to kick out the word Damn-It-All and no more do I have to manually do so.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 07-25-2009, 10:16 PM.

Comment

If you are worried about people inadvertently clicking on the hyperlink,
                      why not mung it up so it does not point to the intended target?
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Seriously hard not to click on it! It's like some saying don't look, you have to look.

Comment

Here is a follow up to the follow up of the pontoon boat.

---------
                          Hello again,

Let me explain you how the PlugnPay process works:
                          1. You send the payment to an PlugnPay representative.
                          2. PlugnPay will confirm me that you have made the deposit.
                          3. I will ship the boat so you can Inspect, test the boat and make a decision if you will keep it or not.
                          4. If the boat is not as described or there is something wrong with it I will pay the shipping back and you will have a full refund from PlugnPay.
                          5. If everything is ok PlugnPay will get the approval from you to release me the funds.
                          If you agree with this process please let me know your full name and address and I will forward the details to PlugnPay.

Thank you,
                          Scott Anderson
                          -----------

So now if I don't like the $2,777 pontoon boat he will pay the shipping back as well. The freight each way is $3,200 so he will be spending $6,400 if I don't like the boat. How in the World can these guys out smart anyone?

Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X