Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quality of Life

    Somewhere between history and science fiction lies our future and I'm concerned. History tells us that years ago the average lifespan was forty, you reached forty and you were old! A combination of science and environment has slowly extended that number and now eighty is more the norm. I mentioned science fiction because of the many plots of a future world in which no one is allowed to live beyond a predetermined age. Good citizens who reach their magic number report to a termination facility and it's lights out! This brings us to our current healthcare crisis, too many people uninsured and too little money to fix the problem. Maybe we are just living too long for our own good? Society could better provide for the young and those under forty if everyone over that age would just go away. Legislation would be required to accomplish such a radical approach to our problem, but we may be headed there anyway. I'm all for it, if that's what it takes to save Americans and improve healthcare. Since laws are usually not retroactive, anyone over the age of forty at the time it becomes law would naturally be grandfathered and safe. Hey, it works for me and if you're a good American vote yes.

  • #2
    Re: Quality of Life

    I say we get rid of all nonproductive waste of society. I'd start with everyone in the California prison system that has life in prison. Then we go down to the child molesters, free or in prison. That'd free up alot of money that could then be used for healthcare rather than penalizing productive members of society.

    http://www.lao.ca.gov/2007/cj_primer...er_013107.aspx

    Under my system, we would save $343,915,215 per year just for the state of CA alone. 7,945-3 strikes X 43,287(cost of housing an inmate per year).

    Times that number by 50 for a nationwide rough average and you get $17,195,760,750. That's 17 Billion per year to house inmates that will never see the light of day again as a free man or woman. Why are my tax dollars going to pay for this?

    http://costofwar.com/

    My next great idea says that iraq owes us 668 billion dollars for the stopping their tyrant and giving them democracy whether they want it or not. I don't think they can give us 668 billion but they should give us fuel at a discounted price until we get our money back.

    That's only 2 examples of where we can have free health care for everyone if we got rid of some excess. I think the 40-60 polulation is the most important demographic in the nation. I think they tend to have the highest paid jobs, THEY VOTE, and the pay their bills. I'm on a rant and not after you Frankie but think just a little differently. thanks for listening, had to get it off my chest.

    VOTE!!!! Ben for President!!!!!!!!!
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Quality of Life

      Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      I say we get rid of all nonproductive waste of society. I'd start with everyone in the California prison system that has life in prison. Then we go down to the child molesters, free or in prison. That'd free up alot of money that could then be used for healthcare rather than penalizing productive members of society.

      http://www.lao.ca.gov/2007/cj_primer...er_013107.aspx

      Under my system, we would save $343,915,215 per year just for the state of CA alone. 7,945-3 strikes X 43,287(cost of housing an inmate per year).

      Times that number by 50 for a nationwide rough average and you get $17,195,760,750. That's 17 Billion per year to house inmates that will never see the light of day again as a free man or woman. Why are my tax dollars going to pay for this?

      http://costofwar.com/

      My next great idea says that iraq owes us 668 billion dollars for the stopping their tyrant and giving them democracy whether they want it or not. I don't think they can give us 668 billion but they should give us fuel at a discounted price until we get our money back.

      That's only 2 examples of where we can have free health care for everyone if we got rid of some excess. I think the 40-60 polulation is the most important demographic in the nation. I think they tend to have the highest paid jobs, THEY VOTE, and the pay their bills. I'm on a rant and not after you Frankie but think just a little differently. thanks for listening, had to get it off my chest.

      VOTE!!!! Ben for President!!!!!!!!!
      Hope you know I was just being ridiculous. You've got better ideas but society won't let that happen, not that plenty of us don't agree with you 100%! There are plenty of bad folks not in the penal system, they hide behind religion and serve in government. How do you think things got so out of had to begin with? Hard working folks busy being productive and trouble makers hurting others and not contributing. We are supporting way too many criminals in prison and illegals ( good and bad) outside. When I think about this seriously it is very upsetting, no joke.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Quality of Life

        Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        We are supporting way too many criminals in prison and illegals ( good and bad) outside. When I think about this seriously it is very upsetting, no joke.
        In Ontario a per person food in retirement homes is set at roughly $3.00 per day. Prisoners get $10.00 per day.

        Data for most States and other Canadian provinces are similar.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Quality of Life

          Since you're new to actually living in CA, I'll go easy. First and foremost nearly 70% of the budget is allocated towards social programs. It's absurd the amount of govt. waste thrown away on frivolous and duplicitous programs. We also have a huge illegal alien problem. We prop them in every aspect. Free medical attention, education et al. The list goes on and on.
          Their income supply needs to be cut. Fine and penalize employers that hire them and the problem will go away. Deport all the rest. Do these things and the budget problem would correct itself almost immediately.

          Govt. spending is out of control. That's the problem.
          Supposedly, the legislature just came to an agreement
          on the budget. We'll see. Honestly, I'm not very hopeful.

          "Free" health care? You came to the right state. The reality is.... nothing is free. Somebody has to pay. Ca has become the epitome of a welfare state. Tax those that produce and give to those that don't. It doesn't work, that's why we're broke.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Quality of Life

            I say that if we stopped giving medical services to illegal aliens the whole damn system would be in balance. Rough estimates are somewhere around 6 billion a year paid out to illegals that will never pay a cent back into the system.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Quality of Life

              Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              I say that if we stopped giving medical services to illegal aliens the whole damn system would be in balance. Rough estimates are somewhere around 6 billion a year paid out to illegals that will never pay a cent back into the system.
              I agree, and I think most working and tax paying Americans also agree. Why then have our borders remained so open, through one administration after another? Why are illegals given such costly medical care and not forcefully returned to their country of origin?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Quality of Life

                Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                Since you're new to actually living in CA, I'll go easy. First and foremost nearly 70% of the budget is allocated towards social programs. It's absurd the amount of govt. waste thrown away on frivolous and duplicitous programs. We also have a huge illegal alien problem. We prop them in every aspect. Free medical attention, education et al. The list goes on and on.
                Their income supply needs to be cut. Fine and penalize employers that hire them and the problem will go away. Deport all the rest. Do these things and the budget problem would correct itself almost immediately.

                Govt. spending is out of control. That's the problem.
                Supposedly, the legislature just came to an agreement
                on the budget. We'll see. Honestly, I'm not very hopeful.

                "Free" health care? You came to the right state. The reality is.... nothing is free. Somebody has to pay. Ca has become the epitome of a welfare state. Tax those that produce and give to those that don't. It doesn't work, that's why we're broke.


                Don't forget about the vote 30 years ago Prop 13 is what its called.

                Californians that voted for this 30 years ago shot themselves in the foot and now we have to pay for it.

                This goes back 30 years, the native californians contributed to this problem. Now they sit on their over priced houses and all the equity and never paid their fair share of taxes on it.

                oh yeah....the illegals and those who employ them also..... but my blood pressure cannot handle another discussion about this problem.....
                Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM.
                sigpic

                Robert

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Quality of Life

                  I heard that Obamacare has QARY, Quality Amount of Remaining Years. Basically, a doctor looks at your age, health, and the procedure needed to keep you alive. If the procedure would keep a 70 y.o. alive for 3 years, then it would be disapproved. If you're 40, you have a better chance of getting the procedure, as long as you voted for the Messiah, of course.

                  I like it. I've seen too many screwed up medical things like giving my bro-in-law treatment for colon cancer when he was in full dementia from a stroke. I freaked out when I heard that he was getting treated for cancer when most of his brain and half his heart was mush.
                  (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Quality of Life

                    Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                    I heard that Obamacare has QARY, Quality Amount of Remaining Years. Basically, a doctor looks at your age, health, and the procedure needed to keep you alive. If the procedure would keep a 70 y.o. alive for 3 years, then it would be disapproved. If you're 40, you have a better chance of getting the procedure, as long as you voted for the Messiah, of course.

                    I like it. I've seen too many screwed up medical things like giving my bro-in-law treatment for colon cancer when he was in full dementia from a stroke. I freaked out when I heard that he was getting treated for cancer when most of his brain and half his heart was mush.
                    What you're talking about and QARY is a slippery slope. Some of my thoughts on abortion involve the value placed on the unborn life by those involved, if the unborn is wanted, loved and will be cared for the life is priceless as opposed to the unborn who is unwanted. Will we be judged not worth saving by a single doctor, panel of doctors, relatives? Will assisted suicide follow as a natural progression to this legislation? Where the hell is our society headed? How about saving our jobs and economy before we start thinning the herd?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Quality of Life

                      just what we need, the government deciding who lives and who dies. Oh never mind, they already do.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Quality of Life

                        Does "solient green" ring a bell?

                        Cactus Man

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Quality of Life

                          Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                          Does "solient green" ring a bell?

                          Cactus Man
                          When I talk to my neighbors about these things the reference to that movie comes up over and over again. My original post for this thread mentioned science fiction and reality, scary what things may come to pass if bad decisions continue to be made.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Quality of Life

                            Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            What you're talking about and QARY is a slippery slope. Some of my thoughts on abortion involve the value placed on the unborn life by those involved, if the unborn is wanted, loved and will be cared for the life is priceless as opposed to the unborn who is unwanted. Will we be judged not worth saving by a single doctor, panel of doctors, relatives? Will assisted suicide follow as a natural progression to this legislation? Where the hell is our society headed? How about saving our jobs and economy before we start thinning the herd?
                            We're in a position mankind has never been in before. We've the capability to keep a corpse alive (like my bro) and to keep babies alive that should not live. Just because we can, doesn't make it right and society needs to stick with "only the strong survive". It is Nature at its purest.

                            Abortion is right when deemed medical prudent. Beyond that, I don't know.

                            I've seen lots of very bad things in the 30 years or so of being a service and repair plumber, so I'm a little jaded.....
                            (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Quality of Life

                              Everyone has a different quality of life and I remember my father saying he wanted to live as long as he could wipe his own *** and not to have someone else doing it for him and he was lucky he died before before that happened.
                              But we've become so civilised that we have no choice in the way we die as euthanasia is illegal so all our so called rights in the US and OZ are worthless.

                              Tony

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X