X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good for the Poor

This cash for clunkers B.S. is another great thing for the poor and great for the environment. 1st how many good cars that a poor family can afford are out of the market now? Way to go government. 2nd after a car is built the best thing for the environment is to use it and use it and use it. Not destroy it, so only a new car can replace it. I only buy older used vehicles. I'm glad the Feds are in competition with me now for older cheap vehicles. For those that traded there car in on this program. I'm so glad I could subsidize your new car.

Re: Good for the Poor

I agree 100%! MY eighteen year old Nissan Maxima requires two or three hundred dollars worth of replacement parts a year to keep it running fine. I'm not spoiled or stupid enough to let my car go to get crushed so I can take on a car payment and possibly headaches and stress of a new car that does not run well. There have been plenty of real good used cars with low mileage turned in and headed to be crushed and it's all very wasteful. We still have not learned! How about taking those good used cars, giving them a good tune up and service check and then selling them real cheap to the needy American consumer? Wasteful, wasteful, wasteful.......

Comment

I agree this is one of the dumbest ideas to ever come out of Washington. However, what is even worse is it was so successful it burned through $1,000,000,000 in just four days so Congress is trying to fund another $2,000,000,000 to make the deal even worse.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 08-01-2009, 07:24 PM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

If they could find a Billion laying around to start this program up, why can't they dig up another couple billion to invest now to help shoulder the load of Social Security down the road?
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If things continue that way the government will eventually offer subsidies to throw socks out after one use instead of throwing them in the washing machine. Of course there will be a separate subsidy to buy new washing machine ever week.
          In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

They just never ever seem to get it right do they? This is the same bunch of bumbling idiots that think they can administer health care. For god's sake they can't even run a rebate program longer than four days without screwing up.
            sigpic

Comment

Aside from the material waste of cars that should still be road worthy and the financial waste of more Americans getting into debt for no good reason, I'm concerned at how our legislators actually believe this program makes good economic sense. Where is the sustainability of an industry that is artifically propted up, bailed out and then supplemented to make sales? Do our political leaders think millions of Americans taking on car loans is a good idea when millions are losing their jobs and homes? What financial experts are coaching the decision makers? Nothing funny here.

Comment

Well let's see....

I have a 1984 dodge ram van I purchased brand new in September of 1984. It's loaded a 318 V-8, 36 gallon gas tank, captain's chairs and fully decked out carpet, couch, windows etc.
                My license tags today run under $50.00, My insurance is around $425.00 a year.
                No car payment...oh 189,000 miles on it! original engine [rebuilt one time] No rust ..I live in Arizona., yeah the custom paint is faded.

So Uncle BO will give me $4500.00 if I buy a new van..that is if I can find one. I don't think I'd like the Dodge Sprinter line as to me it looks top heavy and a narrow wheel base...I'm not sure how that will do on windy roads at 70mph? I don't want anything to do with GM as the government screwed them up big time....This leaves ford.

I like the new ford van series and its ergonomics...
                so let's see.... A new Van with a diesel or hybrid fuel system, fully loaded, an engine similar to what the dodge 318 V-8 has...The larger alternator for ham radios, captain's chairs, carpet, couch etc...
                I estimate $45,000.00 before those nasty dealer charges, 8.5% sales tax $3825.00], license tags over $1000.00 or higher as here they sell tags based on book value, Increased insurance likely over $1000.00 a year, etc. oh and a huge new car payment.

Let's ponder this a moment..now I'm looking at maybe $1000.00 a year for insurance, license tags, and maintenance. or a monthly bill way under $100.00 a month.

------OR-------

Follow BO and the rest of the Lemmings, buy the new van and acquire an estimated monthly expense of $650.00 plus for 6+ years..I have no clue what the interest rate on such a purchase would be but I'm sure it will increase the monthly payment significantly. I'd be a good citizen getting my $4500. rebate from the feds.....and be grateful?

I THINK NOT

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Aside from the material waste of cars that should still be road worthy and the financial waste of more Americans getting into debt for no good reason, I'm concerned at how our legislators actually believe this program makes good economic sense. Where is the sustainability of an industry that is artifically propted up, bailed out and then supplemented to make sales? Do our political leaders think millions of Americans taking on car loans is a good idea when millions are losing their jobs and homes? What financial experts are coaching the decision makers? Nothing funny here.

You make a great point, how many times did we hear Obama during the campaign complaining about government subsidies? I believe he is now setting new records in subsidies while watching the economy shrink to nothing.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Well, this is another example of how our polititians are raping us. This program just started and they claimed the responce was so great they ran out of money. News reported that in the first few days 23,000 people took advantage of this offer and the money is gone. Not everyone got $4500, some only get $3500, But figuring it at the full amount, 23k X 4,500 is only 108 million! I guess the other 892 million goes to operating cost of the program! Thieving assed polititians, as usual!
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Which leads me into my next question. How come companies ar laying off employees, cutting back hours, bonuses, and benefits but you don't see the same thing happening to Federal employees. How about congress take a 25% pay cut and maybe loose the housing allowance? How about they get the same health care insurance the rest of us have?
                      sigpic

Comment

Where did we get the money?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Let me be the devil for a minute.

Would you rather they attempt this program or blindly give them bailout money?

J.C.

Comment

Personally, I would rather run the thieving lot of them out of town.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Let me be the devil for a minute.

Would you rather they attempt this program or blindly give them bailout money?

J.C.
                              Well right now it seams like 90% is going into thier own pockets, not ours or the auto industry!
                              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                              X