X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporters Pardoned

Just saw on TV that former President Clinton was able to get those two American reporters released from North Korea. I'm no fan of clinton and I'm still upset with his bad behavior as our President, but I will thank him for his part in winning these two ladies their freedom.

Re: Reporters Pardoned

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Just saw on TV that former President Clinton was able to get those two American reporters released from North Korea. I'm no fan of clinton and I'm still upset with his bad behavior as our President, but I will thank him for his part in winning these two ladies their freedom.
    I guess I see it a little different. While I am sorry for their problems it is a real shame we need to spend our political clout because they crossed the river to get the story. I hope our government takes action against them for this. Perhaps pull their passports for 10-years or something.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

And Mark, I'd like to add, that they should have to reimburse the cost for getting them free. I'm tired of picking up the bill for stupid behaviors.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Guys we are not in disagreement when it comes to the responsibility of the reporters or the involvement necessary to gain their release. I would like to know whether or not they had permission to be there and we simply imprisoned anyway to gain North Korea the attention it wanted? Were the reporters in the wrong for being there in the first place or the the N.Koreans pull a fast one? What's with the hikers wandering into Iran? They for sure had no journalistic immunity!

Comment

Frank,

The border in that Region is a river. It is not a disputed border it is a border everyone acknowledges. The women crossed the river to get the story and got caught. The initial claim was they had not crossed the river but Laura Ling told her sister Lisa on the phone that they had in fact crossed the river. The bigger issue was not that they had crossed the river but the fact that the story they were writing was meant to embarrass the North Korean government. Had they stayed out of North Korea, North Korea would have never been able to touch them.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

All true as far as I can see about the two women who essentially got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. But realistically, I doubt if they'll see any repercussions. They're more likely to be treated as folk heroes.

This whole episode, though, was about NKorea trying to win a macho contest with the US. Otherwise they would have slapped those ladies on the wrist, told them not to do it again, and sent them home.

Bill Clinton is now going to be viewed as having saved the day, when in fact all he did was show up. What a shame.

Sadly, there's bound to be some percentage of people around the world that will note only that Obama and his Secretary of State were NOT the ones that solved the situation. Nevermind that Obama probably asked Bill C to go. That little detail will be lost.

Wrong message to send, I think, for a government that desperately needs to regain respect in the global community.

Just my view of it.

Comment

If everyone involved would have just sat down and had a beer................................
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

They will be portrayed as Journalistic heroines. When in reality they were just stupid.

Comment

Being from Arkansas
                  Some one some were had to like bill clinton,,its a given
                  glad the girls got out ..it will boost there careers for sure

Comment

What did we have to trade for their release?????????
                    I doubt N. Korea just gave them back because slick Willie showed up!!
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      What did we have to trade for their release?????????
                      I doubt N. Korea just gave them back because slick Willie showed up!!
                      I think this is the most important point. We shouldn't negotiate with terrorists or irrational and untrustworthy despots (one could argue that we shouldn't negotiate with any despots, but I won't go that far).

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        If everyone involved would have just sat down and had a beer................................
                        Just to get my hijack on. This beer seminar is the most stupid, waste of time/money, pus**y thing I've seen a president do.

What kind of people has this guy surrounded himself with to recommend something like this?

Almost something like an actor or athlete would do to get back in good graces with the masses.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Just to get my hijack on. This beer seminar is the most stupid, waste of time/money, pus**y thing I've seen a president do.

What kind of people has this guy surrounded himself with to recommend something like this?

Almost something like an actor or athlete would do to get back in good graces with the masses.

J.C.
                          I agree completely.
                          And we have to buy the beer.

Comment

I bet these girls will be writing books, if they haven't started already and will be in negotiations for a movie to be made about their ordeal.

They crossed the border illegally, lied about it, and got political heavy hitters to come save their tush. Where would these girls be if they weren't working for Gore or if one didn't have a sister that was a correspondent for Oprah and was formerly on The View?

I also wonder if they were told to cross to get the story or if this was a decision they made on their own. Primarily, because I haven't heard Gore speak on their behalf. Was it because he told them to go?
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                              Anything to avoid dealing with the economy! No sense of priorities. Sure, race relations are important, health care is important, but we are circuling the drain. Start building factories and employing Americans to build what we consume. Stop making communist china and the rest of the world benefit from our needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X