Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know what this is for...............

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know what this is for...............

hint; it's used in the winter.
    Attached Files

Re: Anybody know what this is for...............

making snow blocks for an igloo?

Comment

another hint; it's upside down

one more hint; it's used to set fishing nets

Vince

Comment

We people in Florida use it to hit Canadians in the head after they leave a dollar tip on a fifty dollar bill
        You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

during the winter some inuit up here set fishing nets under the ice.

they make two holes in the ice just a little further apart than the net's length.

this tool has two ropes attached to it. one rope to is aused to drag the net out of the water and the other is used to alow the tool to crawl under the ice.

i'n not exactly sure how its done but once the operator of this tool reaches the other hole, another person pulls the tool out of the hole.

attached to the drag rope is the fishing net. this allows the fishermen to pull the net from one hole to the other and because the net is weighted it doesn't come in contact with ice.

all one has to do is wait for a day.

then they pull the net and fish out of the water throught the hole.

once the fish are removed, then the rope attached the other end of the net is pulled to reset the net.

Vince

Comment

it's only used once during the fall time to set the net while the ice is thin enough to remove the tool.

Vince

Comment

I knew it was some sort of trap. Thanks for the interesting info Vince, next time I'm in the NWT I'll have to see if I can see one in action. The hunters/trappers up there make some pretty interesting stuff.

Comment

I'm surprised to see that the snow melts long enough up there to see grass.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                  I'm surprised to see that the snow melts long enough up there to see grass.
                  When I lived in Yellowknife NWT which is not quite as far north as Rankin the snow would melt around my birthday which is mid march...or sometimes even April...and be back again around September/October. The summers are fairly warm though, around +25-35 Celsius and the winters get between -30 and -50 on average, even without the windchill factor. The windchill can bring things down ridiculously, when I lived there the first time in 1997 it was -65 Celsius with the wind chill on Christmas day! I put ski goggles on when I went for a walk with my dog to keep my eyelashes from freezing together. Vinyl siding completely explodes when even touched with a plastic shovel below -30 Celsius. I lived there for two years again around 2005, and global warming didn't help much. As Vince mentioned before, minus 25 in the winter in the NWT is downright balmy. People start busting the liners out of their jackets/going out in a sweater. It's pretty ridiculous!

Comment

Working...
                  X