Josh's Basement Repairs Round #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh's Basement Repairs Round #2

So my basement still leaked after my patching job. It was worthwhile patching the cracks but the problem most certainly lied deeper. And I thought I had a tough digging job before with all the hard clay.

So after about a week of hard digging in the evenings under the porch with my cut down shovel I was able to tench out the entire side of the house.

I found what I am certain is the cause of the water problems. it appears that the bottom row of cinder blocks near the "wet" corner are missing the outside of the block. Basically causing a cave between the rest of the wall and the foundation. And to my dismay there is no drainage next to the footer

So now I am still in search of a good mason to quote some work for both the chimney and the foundation. I don't think I rebuild of the wall is going to be required but we will see what advice I get. I thought maybe I could fill the cave in with hydraulic cement after thoroughly cleaning and drying but still gonna get real advice on this one since I don't want my house falling apart ;-)

Oh the fun of old homes.
    Attached Files

Re: Josh's Basement Repairs Round #2

Clean and dry the cavity, then put the foam to it. Foam will seal all the cracks and holes. Cut off excess foam on the outside, then seal it up with the tar and foundation material all along that wall.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

So all I have ever seen is block walls waterproofed with a geofab encased french drain and gravel at the base.

How did they used to protect homes from perculation in your area at the time of construction?

Were french drain or other systems put in place back then to carry the water away from the foundation?
      How would a guy even contemplate putting something like that in if there isn't even a district provided storm drain system deep enough.

Pump it up and out?

You guys just waterproof only?
      Huh-Uh

Comment

They started putting in footer tiles in the early 30s. My house was built a few years before that so no drainage. I'm not sure what they expected to happen.

So now I am teetering on digging up the rest of my walls and putting in french drains and running a tile out to the storm sewer. I hate how projects grow. This was all supposed to be done by now

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          They started putting in footer tiles in the early 30s. My house was built a few years before that so no drainage. I'm not sure what they expected to happen.

So now I am teetering on digging up the rest of my walls and putting in french drains and running a tile out to the storm sewer. I hate how projects grow. This was all supposed to be done by now
          Hold off for a few weeks.

Real work would actually be nice to separate the men from the talkers

Comment

For some of the cracks there is a product out there called AV-202 it's a foaming / gel grout that seals cracks in wet areas. I know some home owners who have used it in their basements and it has worked well. The grout is made by a company called Avanti. The AV-202 was designed for septic tanks, manholes or other wet concrete type applications. It will typically last for 10-20 years or longer and the application is quite simple. http://www.avantigrout.com/

I hope this may be some help.

Comment

Working...
            X