Stepping back in time,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepping back in time,

a few days ago my Son in law called me and wanted me to come and inspect a property he had an interest in, (an old farm sted, on 20 acers),

OK there are a lot of old farm steads around here, many have not been lived in for years, but it is fairy obvious normally the House is just a shell if standing any longer, and the buildings falling in, and usually farmed up to the buildings,

I follow his out to this location, and the trees, (in the old wind break are broken and the fence is nearly on the ground, and everything is over grown, (which is some what odd for here),

we stop on the dirt road and get out and walk in were the old gate to the drive way was, there is not hardly even a path in the trees as to where the original drive was (after about 75 feet one could not tell were it went), any way we wad into the area, and come across a old clothes line still up but with many trees growing through it, and continue and some buildings become visible after more making a path we come to a house, (according to the owner, (son of the old couple who had lived there) it was a Wards kit home), we go to the back door, which is latched with a piece of wire to keep the door secured in addition to the latch, and go on in, (the place is mess with much of the former owners life treasures in boxes) but much as been removed, (looked like to me the items the children were not interested in),
    first a little more history, the old guy must have die in the early to mid 1960's and she lived on apparently until 1991, in Dec. (and apperently did not drive),
    (side note, my son in law hunted the trees on occasion when he was a kid in the late 1980's and early 1990's and never knew any one lived there, never saw signs of life),
    any way we walk into the house, and like said there is a lot items mostly in boxes around, but the house first, it is nearly as it was built, I do not think the walls have any more than one coat of paint on the walls, the wood work is as it was when built, the original wiring knob and tube is still in most with just a little 1940/50 romoxe in a few locations, the kitchen cabnets is 1920/30's original, (LP gas stove 1940/50's era), the house is nearly original in most ever thing, (I have seen many old homes but most have had more than this ever done to them, but in many of the boxes, were many 1940's new papers, 1940 calenders, the clothes in the closets were 1930/40 era, some back to the 20's (if they get it I hope they get the historical society out to see if there are items for there local museum),
    it was amazing
    one more thing amazing there was NO bath room in the house, never an indoor toilet,
    there was plumbing, to the kitchen sink and to a shower (totally in the open in the basement) to a dry well is my guess, and the hot water heater and a pressure pump I had never seen before was in the basement,
    (wondering if the Hot water heater and the wall heater may have done her in tho, as the wall heater was unvented, and hot water heater showed no sign of ever having any type of flue on it),

one other interesting side note, the old rotary telephone on the wall was still connected to service, no bill had been paid for nearly 18 years, but still worked, Son in law called his cell phone,

(in our area, I have never seen a farmstead grow up like that, and have never seen house in that type of condition, nearly origional as it was buit for that era of house.)

but one thing was for sure they had gone through the 1930's depression and never threw any thing away,

one more interesting side note, in the "shop" there was a early 1950's Chrysler New yorker,
    with 16,000 miles on and the interior in good shape and the out side in near excellent shape, for the storage conditions, with a cracked (not broken) tail light, but one can not get the doors open as trees have grown up around the building,

(just totally amazing in my opinion),

If my son in law would get it they would have a good shell of a building to work with, and 20 acers of ground, in pasture grass. and there are or is two other working out buildings, and the garage which could be used if needed, not really a good building tho,

the house would need plumbing (or a new out house ), heating, electricity, insulation, new roof.

the deal would be partly contingent on the well, if it still is workable, Currently we could not hardly even get a generator into it with our getting a loader in to make a path, it is a pump jack with a electric motor.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Stepping back in time,

Sounds like my kind of place. Go for it!
    PK

Comment

I like it.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Man, that sounds cool.

By any chance did you take pictures?

BTW: I still use a CRT monitor so some would say that "I" am still stuck in the old days

Comment

I did not get any pictures, My DD did, but she has not sent them to me yet?
          I had loaded up a one ton truck 12 foot flat bed with manure and took that to my other son inlaw for his garden and went to the other son in law on my way back to look at the house, and I for got to pick up the camera when I left.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

ahh!

Well if you get some, (pictures) I would love to see them,

I miss those old phones BTW, you could throw them and they would still work

Comment

I miss the old phones too. Remember back in the day, you had 20 or 30 phone numbers memorized? Friends, relatives, certain stores, etc? Now I can barely remember my own phone number.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread like that though, sorry about that.
              Last edited by killavolt; 08-12-2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I still have a number of the old rotary phones on the farm, three at least, one in each shop and the house,(and a few others in the closet),

but thought it was really funny, had a young lady out to the farm (she wants to be a mechanic she thinks, and the other side note is her folks are very into technology, the mother repairs computers and her dad has as much interest or more than his wife does, they have the latest cell phones and computers in the house,),

so I had her out and had her help me change out some automatic transmission filters and change the oil in car and truck, but we were given the wrong filter so I had to go to town and exchange it, so the plan was to take her in early so her folks did not have to drive out and pick her up, she comes running in the house and says can I use the phone, my cell phone died, and I said yes, and she looks at the rotary dial on it and says I do not know how to use that one,

(it just got me she did not know how to use a rotary dial), could pull up the Internet on the cell phone, text at 90 mph, and every thing else but did know how to use a rotary dial phone.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

That sounds awsome and hope it works out for your son. Does the car come with the deal?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

BH, about 5 years ago we looked at a house in the area that was built in 1789. It was a small 5 room cape. An old lady and her generations had lived there since it was built. No indoor plumbing. Heated by a Franklin stove installed in the early 1800's and still working. Sometime in the 30's they put electricity in the house. Two ceiling lamps and two outlets, no outlet in the kitchen. The main panel was a big knife switch and two 15 amp glass fuses. Water from a dug rock lined well with a hand pump on the top. The town ended up taking posession and turned it into a museum and part of the historical society.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey. Make sure yo get a picture of Dorothy and the wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        That sounds awsome and hope it works out for your son. Does the car come with the deal?
                        to my understanding if he buys it he get it all,
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X