Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Intention, Questionable Results!

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
    With a welfare benefit card you cannot purchase tobacco products, alcoholic beverages and certain luxury food items. They are good for food items.

I think that you also cannot use them to purchase jewlery, electronic "toys" and TV's.

The news people today do not seem to use the five rules of reporting taught in Journalism 101

WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY

Since ALL news outlets, print and electronic, have switched to become profit centers the journalists have become "content providers".

Be careful what you read and see on TV and especially the Internet.
    I will also agree with that as well.

The NEWS these days are more about "exciting" & "Provoking" (coughs this thread) the people rather then providing FACTS & Numbers . names etc.

For example that article with Maggie Brooks

Brooks says the county is getting calls from Walmart on Hudson Avenue, telling them customers were using back to school money to buy these kinds of electronics.
    Who....what was there name?

How many TV's were bought.... etc etc

Man, being a Journalist is easy these days

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      If you got a family and you cant go out and work for a living
      You should get nothing..It makes me sick all the hand outs
      and GM , AIG ETC ETC should have been able to fail as well.

American's bailing out BANKS is purely ridiculous

'..............................

Money MUST be growing on trees

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        In saying "it has been reported" it implies there are no statistics. The only reason it came to light was because of the massive lines at the Western Union offices and other stores which reporting massive shopping sprees for non-school items. Because nothing is being tracked there is no way to know where the money is spent except in those instances where the welfare cards were used to purchase the non-school items. It seems some where worried the money would run out before they used it so they cashed it out at Western Union.

Mark
        But Honestly - With Out "numbers" and statistics .......Isn't that all just "hearsay"?

BTW - Just for "arguments sake"

What happened if these people wanted to buy "clothes" at old navy, Macy's etc?

OLD navy doesn't accept EBT / Welfare cards....so people would have to go to western unions to get the cash..............

Just playing devils advocate

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I'm with you on the JOBS!!!
          and that there my friend is how we can fix this mess.

We need jobs, bottom line.

No work , no money......more crime.

We need Jobs period or this will never get better ....ever !

Why don't we make those cell phones here?

Comment

Oh also:

Maggie Brooks may be complaining BUT have a look here:

http://www.state.ny.us/governor/pres...s_0811091.html

The following statements were provided in support of the back-to-school assistance program:

U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer said: “This funding is a smart investment in the futures of our students. Each $200 grant will provide access to much-needed resources and back-to-school supplies so that our students are prepared and ready to learn on their very first day of class.”

U.S. Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand said:
            “Nothing is more important for our children and for the future of our State than a good education. I am humbled and proud to see leaders at all levels coming together to deliver the resources that our children need for school in these tough economic times. Together, we are working to arm the children of this State with the tools they need for a strong start to the new school year.”

Congressman Charles Rangel said:
            “No matter where they live, every parent wants their kids to have the books and supplies they need to have a great start the school year. These grants will make a big difference in the lives of many families, allowing them to send their kids off with the tools they need not just to learn, but also to succeed. I want to thank Governor Paterson for his leadership and most of all George Soros for his generosity in partnering with the State in making great use of Recovery and Reinvestment funds from the federal government.”

Congresswoman Yvette Clarke said:
            “As a Member of the House Education and Labor Committee, I believe that education is the gateway out of poverty. The collaboration between Governor Paterson, George Soros and the Open Society Institute is a tremendous step to ensuring that our children have access to the educational tools that they need. I am hopeful that through these grants, the children of Brooklyn, New York will have the opportunity to start off their school year with the confidence they need to excel.”

Congressman Gregory Meeks said:
            “To have the private sector and public sector come together for these Back-To-School Supplement grants is a major accomplishment. Providing parents the tools they need to facilitate a quality education for their children reinforces the importance of all segments of our society coming together to push student achievement. This kind of partnership must be nurtured and continued.”

Congressman Edolphus “Ed” Towns said:
            “I am grateful to Mr. Soros and his Open Society Institute for their generous contribution to help underserved students across our State. The funds will ensure that mothers and fathers can send their children back to school with the supplies they need to succeed. As a proud supporter of the Recovery Act, I believe this is further proof that stimulus dollars are reaching and supporting those who need them most.”

Senate President Malcolm A. Smith said:
            “As fall approaches, students and parents begin to anticipate and prepare for the upcoming school year. Unfortunately for many New Yorkers this can be a stressful time as back to school supplies can be expensive and out of reach for already stretched family budgets. Education is the foundation for the future of our state and its residents, and our students deserve to be prepared with the tools required to attain that education. I would like to thank the Open Society Institute for giving New York $35 million that we will use to obtain matching federal dollars to ensure that our students can make the most of the quality education provided for them in this State.”

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver said:
            “Especially during a time when more and more families are finding themselves in need, these funds will help ensure that children will have the resources necessary to return to school ready to learn. These grants, provided by a federal and private partnership, allow families to purchase needed supplies and clothing to prepare students for September, while also stimulating local economies as families shop for these items.”

Senator Velmanette Montgomery, Chair of the Senate Committee on Children and Families, said:
            “Having pen and paper and a school bag to carry books and homework are essential tools to a student's preparedness and academic success. This generous gift will make the world of difference to many deserving youth whose parents can't afford to buy them even the most basic school supplies.”

Senator Suzi Oppenheimer, Chair of the Senate Education Committee, said:
            “I join Governor Paterson in thanking George Soros and the Open Society Institute for the generous grant in support of education. Each September, the promise of a new school year is tempered for thousands of low income families who struggle to afford their children’s back to school supplies. The OSI grant and the matching federal funds obtained by Governor Paterson will help bring the joy of learning back to those families.”

Senator Daniel Squadron, Vice-Chair of the Senate Social Services Committee, said: “This partnership between State government and George Soros is an example of public life at its best -- and it shows how generous individuals and effective government can truly help those who need it most. Mr. Soros’ generosity, combined with State government and federal stimulus dollars, will make a huge difference for thousands of families this school year. I am pleased to have pushed for this program in the State Senate and commend Governor Paterson for making it a reality.”

Assemblywoman Catherine Nolan, Chair of the Assembly Committee on Education, said: “With the first day of school just around the corner, this program will help students start the year off on the right foot by helping to supply them with the school supplies needed to have a successful school year.”

Assemblyman William Scarborough, Chair of the Assembly Committee on Children and Families, said:
            “This is a wonderful program. Children in all economic circumstances should have the ability and resources to succeed in school. These funds provide a unique opportunity for low income children to have those needs supplied and give them a boost in their education.”

Westchester County Executive Andy Spano said:
            “Returning to school is an important time for every child. No child should have to go without the tools they need to succeed in the classroom or feel badly because they can’t afford new clothing on that special first day back to school. Thanks to Governor Paterson and George Soros, who remembers what it was like to go without, the families of more than 19,000 children in Westchester will have an extra $200 to help provide these necessities.”

New York City Schools Chancellor Joel Klein said:
            “A new school year can be overwhelming enough for families in good economic times. Thanks to this innovative public-private partnership, they won't have the extra burden of worrying about the cost of basic supplies and their children will have the tools they need to start the year off right.”

I guess we all have opinions

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
              With a welfare benefit card you cannot purchase tobacco products, alcoholic beverages and certain luxury food items. They are good for food items.

I think that you also cannot use them to purchase jewlery, electronic "toys" and TV's.

The news people today do not seem to use the five rules of reporting taught in Journalism 101

WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY

Since ALL news outlets, print and electronic, have switched to become profit centers the journalists have become "content providers".

Be careful what you read and see on TV and especially the Internet.
              I really wish it was that simple.

From the New York web site which explains how to use the Electronic Benefits Transfer card.

------------
              FOOD STAMP PURCHASE
              Use your food stamp benefit account to purchase food. You
              cannot get cash back from your food stamp account.

Remember, you can only buy allowable food items with
              your food benefits.

All food stamp benefit transactions are free. There is no
              limit to the number of times you can use your card for food
              stamp benefit transactions.

CASH PURCHASE
              Any item may be purchased using your cash benefit
              account where EBT cards are accepted.

CASH WITHDRAWAL

Some stores will allow you to receive cash back above the
              cost of your purchase.

Some stores will allow cash withdrawal without a purchase.

You must follow the store’s policy regarding the allowable
              amount for cash back or withdrawals.

If you use both a food stamp benefit account and a cash
              benefit account at the same time your card will be swiped
              through the machine twice and you must enter your PIN

twice.

http://www.otda.state.ny.us/main/publications/4596.pdf

-------------------------

There was so much "cash back" being taken that one Wal-Mart complained they almost ran out of cash. There were also reports of long lines at check cashing places (high fees) and banks. Apparently the card has two accounts to it. The first account is for food and that account is limited to food items. The second account is cash and has no restrictions on it.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Oh man:

CASH PURCHASE
                Any item may be purchased using your cash benefit
                account where EBT cards are accepted.

Does say any...........

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                  Oh also:

Maggie Brooks may be complaining BUT have a look here:

http://www.state.ny.us/governor/pres...s_0811091.html

I guess we all have opinions
                  I believe you have made my point, their intentions were good the results are questionable. If you read my initial post I posted I hope the majority of the families were responsible but shame on those who were not. We will have to watch to see how this plays out. I'm sure as the days go on someone somewhere will have a better feel for where the money went. If there is any blame here it is mostly on the government for not providing a program which actually assured the money would go to back-to-school purchases.

Mark

"Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I believe you have made my point, their intentions were good the results are questionable. If you read my initial post I posted I hope the majority of the families were responsible but shame on those who were not. We will have to watch to see how this plays out. I'm sure as the days go on someone somewhere will have a better feel for where the money went. If there is any blame here it is mostly on the government for not providing a program which actually assured the money would go to back-to-school purchases.

Mark

Agreed,
                    It should have been more structured for sure,

OK - I am done

Comment

Very disappointing, you can blame the government in part for not structuring the payout better but ultimately the decision to do right or wrong lies in the hands of the people who got the money. I just got off the phone with a friend who lives in New York City and I was telling him about this program, he said that's probably what was happening on friday as he went to a local food store. He said the place was mobbed with people filling their carts with cases of soda, beer and all sorts of stuff. He said it looked like people were stocking up for a hurricane, he had not heard about the money thing. What next? What will be the next shocking mismanaged, poorly thought out waste of government/tax money?

Comment

My wife and just buy the school supplies and give them to a teacher.

Seems pretty simple take the money buy in stuff in bulk take it to the schools.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                          My wife and just buy the school supplies and give them to a teacher.

Seems pretty simple take the money buy in stuff in bulk take it to the schools.
                          For years the teachers would send home a wish list of supplies they wanted for the less fortuante kids. We always gave generously. Too bad the government didn't send us a check for $200, we would glady have donated the needed supplies, clothing too!

Comment

Working...
                          X