X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Your Driving and Texting Skills

Its a game and is the reason I'm resistant to installing computers in trucks. I couldn't take my eyes off the road long enough to type.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ving-game.html
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Re: Test Your Driving and Texting Skills

It is illegal to text and drive in California now. I think if you have a laptop in your truck, the idea is to have customers info at the ready. You can pull over to use it and use it to print invoices at the job.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Noone should text or type while driving.

Talking on a mobile phone is dangerous enough . Even with a hands free sometimes.

I have no idea why some text and drive when they could just wait or actually speak to someone.

J.C.

Comment

I'm guilty as can be of talking and driving. Yesterday I was talking to
        JC while driving and the vehicle in front of me tire fell right off. The only reason why I didn't get into an accident is because I drive so slow. The tire rolling down the highway was faster than me.

I gotta start using my bluetooth again.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Anyone that does any act whereby he/she is being distracted from paying full attention to driving and does so willing is guilty of willful endangerment of human lives , and should be hung or shot full of rock salt and buck shot. That person doesn't value his/her own life for that matter. Please think about this carefully and use some good old common sense when driving. You do NOT blabber on your cell phone, text message, blast the radio or do any act willing where you endanger other people or your self. People can NOT be replaced. HELL with business .... Save lives and pain and suffering. THINK ... PLEASE THINK

The Good Lord will reward you in ways you can't even dream of if you value and respect his children. BUT if you think $$$ is more important, get ready to be DAMNED and you do not have to die to be DAMNED. There's plenty of HELL here on planet earth. There's also a huge taste of heaven too.

If you think I'm ranting and blasting off anger, well I sure am. What I see people do on highways has me really wondering what is wrong with people.

Except in a life threatening emergency where you just can't safely get off the road and you're calling 9-1-1, get off the road and park before you reach for your cell phone or other communications devices.

Please see post #7. Very good thinking there.
          Last edited by Woussko; 08-17-2009, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Noone should text or type while driving.

Talking on a mobile phone is dangerous enough . Even with a hands free sometimes.

I have no idea why some text and drive when they could just wait or actually speak to someone.

J.C.
            Thank you very much. You have the right idea and your brain is working as it should be. Someone that cares.
            Last edited by Woussko; 08-17-2009, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              get off the road and park before you reach for your cell phone or other communications devices.
              Might I add, get off the road SAFELY. Meaning use your blinker to warn the driver behind you of your intentions and do not let it blink just twice then stomp on the brakes and end up stopped half in the travel lane.
              It's just a phone call, it's O.K. if you miss it, just call them back.

I've had more near misses from people doing this then people talking and driving.
              I just saw some ahole almost get turned into a pancake for doing this in front of a loaded pulp truck. The only thing that saved him was me slowing and going onto the shoulder, giving the truck room to swerve into my lane.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I'm as guilty as Ben when it comes to talking and driving. Yea it's illegal here too and should be everywhere. I think it's a $100 fine and some points. The hands free device or speakerphone is just a huge PITA. I rarely drive over 30 mph. I cant text and drive but my neice can very efficiently.

Comment

I am happy to report that I have never texted anyone in my life and wouldn't know how to even if I wanted. Amazes me that folks would text rather than talk. Ain't talking the reason for cell phones in the first place? What's next, Morse code? Better yet smoke signals.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think much of the texting is done when folks can't talk because they are supposed to be paying attention to someone or something else. School and work are just two examples where people text instead of paying attention. I think it is very disrespectful of the teachers and defeats the purpose of being in class! We have seen tragedies in the News where people who are supposed to be driving a train or doing some other highly responsible job are distracted by their texting habit. I believe the fines and punishment must be greater because most people who are doing this have no regard for themselves or others.

Comment

Did anyone play the game: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ving-game.html

Not sure how accurately it mimics texting and driving, but if its anywhere near true, yikes....
                      (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

I tried it and could not even take my eyes off of the road, but then I do not text at all.

The law was just passed the 1st of this month making it illegal to text while driving in Tennessee, except for police and ambulance drivers (I think).

G3

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          I believe the fines and punishment must be greater because most people who are doing this have no regard for themselves or others.
                          And how.

Comment

How about this idea? Build the cell phone into the car and have automatic speaker phone. You have a row buttons that are both color and shape coded for the necessary functions and as much as possible is done by simple voice commands. Once you are actually talking and want to end the call you just press one button. In the event of an emergency you just press the emergency button and when the operator answers you talk as if you were talking to the person next to you. No more having to take your eyes off the road and only a few buttons which you can tell by color and feel. Without any doubt in my mind this can be done.

By the way when you start up the engine, you would go through entering your user name and password. That way only you or someone authorized can use the phone except to press the emergency only button.
                            Last edited by Woussko; 08-17-2009, 12:25 AM.

Comment

dont text and drive.. trust me..

Comment

Working...
                              X