X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Flag etiquette

I do not currently fly the United States of America flag.

This will be changing very soon via my FIL's fathers flag.

When we fly this flag we want to make sure we are doing it properly and following ALL flag etiquette out of respect for our country and Grandfather.

Today our Governor ordered our flags to fly at half staff on Aug30 for Ted Kennedy. This is something I'd rather not do.

According to proper flag etiquette is it OK for me to not fly the flag at half staff even with a Governors order?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Proper Flag etiquette

It's your flag

Do what you want with it

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      It's your flag

Do what you want with it
      I agree in part.
      It's not my flag it's OUR flag.
      I respect the united States of America flag so much, I'm willing to set my own beliefs aside in order to respect proper protocol.

It's kind of strange but to me the flag represents freedom and freedom of speech, but if I ever see someone burning or disrespecting one I WILL kick them in the face.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          This picture is one I'll never forget/forgive. I was totally immersed in the anti-illegal movement and that picture enraged us beyond words. They wouldn't let the cops through to take the flags down and they stayed up for days.
          Attached Files
          (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
            This picture is one I'll never forget/forgive. I was totally immersed in the anti-illegal movement and that picture enraged us beyond words. They wouldn't let the cops through to take the flags down and they stayed up for days.
            I doubt the cops could do anything about it on private property but then again they did not arrest the guy that took care of business:

"I'm Jim Broussard, and I took this flag down in honor of my country with ... a knife from the United States Army. ... I'm a veteran; I'm not going to see this done to my country. If they want to fight us, then they need to be men, and they need to come and fight us. But I want somebody to fight me for this flag. They're not going to get it back. ... I was immediately infuriated and felt a duty to do something about it. I feel there's a lot of this turning-our-heads-on-things in concern with the Hispanic community and the things they do. They seem impervious to our laws in a lot of situations."

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm not sure what the official protocol is on a situation like this but it seems logical to me that you have two choices. You could follow the executive order and fly your flag at half mast or your could choose not to fly your flag that day. Flying the flag is a representation of our country and not an individual freedom of expression.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Isn't it strange that most Americans do not know much about the proper display of our flag.

Here is a web site for the U. S. Flag Code

www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

FYI here is another link to the U. S. Constitution and all of its amendments. Most Americans have heard about the constitution and can "quote" from it but have never read it.

http://constitutionus.com/

Our educational system should never have been allowed to remove "Civics" from the curriculum of our schools. If it offends the children of illegals in our schools, so be it. The subject should be quickly restored to our schools.

By the way, the preferred way to dispose of a worn out or damaged flag is by burning in a dignified manner.
                Last edited by billmoy; 08-27-2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I doubt the cops could do anything about it on private property but then again they did not arrest the guy that took care of business:

"I'm Jim Broussard, and I took this flag down in honor of my country with ... a knife from the United States Army. ... I'm a veteran; I'm not going to see this done to my country. If they want to fight us, then they need to be men, and they need to come and fight us. But I want somebody to fight me for this flag. They're not going to get it back. ... I was immediately infuriated and felt a duty to do something about it. I feel there's a lot of this turning-our-heads-on-things in concern with the Hispanic community and the things they do. They seem impervious to our laws in a lot of situations."

Mark
                  Thanks, I never saw that. Broussard is a hero.

Actually, I was thinking/raging about the SoCal incident at the post office. One day, I should post some pictures of things I've seen...maybe when Obama starts his bid to legalize the 30m illegals.
                  (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

I fly the flag daily. It'll stay full staff.

Here's the video of Broussard. I feel exactly the way he does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3K5Xp6sLY
                    It's really pathetic actually that so many people don't have the same attitude.
                    On my street, Me and my next door neighbor (retired Navy with sons in FBI and local law enforcement) are the ONLY two homes that have flags. Memorial day around my neighborhood sickens me with the lack of respect.
                    Last edited by Twicepipes; 08-28-2009, 01:14 AM.

Comment

We have a 30' flag pole with the US Flag and the Army Flag. My flag pole recently snapped in a HIGH wind (flags were too big) so now I am trying to figure out how to get the broken piece out of the sleeve in the ground. The footing is 4' X 4' with 2' of rock them 3' of concrete. There is no way I wanted to dig that out.

Mark

Comment

I really appreciate this thread. I was ignorant in many ways about how to care for the American Flag.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

You can also turn your worn flag into a VFW and they will retire it with due respect.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X