Hardware Store Near You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Store Near You?

How many people here still have a locally owned hardware store in your town or one that is located close to you?

I have two near me,

I love the hardware store, You know the ones with the old timers that know everything.

I have been going to them since I was a kid,

When I was younger my boy scouts troop was sponsored by a hardware store,..well that was until Home Depot moved into the neighborhood.....they never offered to sponsor our troop after the hardware store closed......anyhow....

When I moved upstate a few years ago, I found some old time hardware stores near me

So....Do you guys / gals have hardware stores near you?

Re: Hardware Store Near You?

even better, i started working there at the age of 14.

now joey enjoys going there on sundays and working the register.

i go and help them too. best part is the paint department has 2 computers and i can still watch the forum while i'm there.

i rarely, rarely take job referrals from the store. not the type of work i usually go after.

adam and ben have paid us a visit too

nothing like an old school local hardware store for help and parts.

sadly, i've bought the plumbing remains of 2 stores that closed and 1 that burnt down

there is a hardware store in culver city that gives home depot a run for the money. what's amazing is that it competes with home depots highest grossing store only a couple miles away.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Not only does my town have one of the best locally owned hardware stores I've ever seen, but it is a block and a half from my front door.

Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        even better, i started working there at the age of 14.

now joey enjoys going there on sundays and working the register.

i go and help them too. best part is the paint department has 2 computers and i can still watch the forum while i'm there.

i rarely, rarely take job referrals from the store. not the type of work i usually go after.

adam and ben have paid us a visit too

nothing like an old school local hardware store for help and parts.

there is a hardware store in culver city that gives home depot a run for the money. what's amazing is that it competes with home depots highest grossing store only a couple miles away.

rick.
        Thanks and that's awesome to hear!!!

Thanks for sharing that story, I never worked in one, but was there all the time when I was a kid

Comment

We have plenty of locally owned franchised ACE and Tru Value hardware stores but the real mom and pop stores are long gone. The franchised stores may be locally owned but they certainly aren't anything like the old timee neighborhood hardware store. Gimme a brown paper bag full of nails over a box of nails anytime.
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

we had one, then the owner sold out and the new guy wanted a modern store, and In my opinion has nearly ruined it, they rearranged it and the flavor of the store is just nothing, and the stock is less and less, and the price is up, and up, and up, some more, and they have nearly stopped dealing in Ridgid tools, it is 12 miles to that store, but would nearly prefer to drive an additional 30 miles to a ACE that is a modern store, but much like a old time store, in the help and the diversity, and the price is fair.

no even out here the old time stores are nearly the thing of the past,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We have a good sized store here, lumber, plumbing, small stores of aggregate (you shovel it into the bag and load it), hardware. They will order anything and deliver at a reasonable price for the service. I use them when ever I can. BD - they still have the scoop scale and bags.
              The part that I really like is the fact that it is all on your honour. If you need pipes from the back building or 2 Lb of nails, you just bring the bag or load you pipes after you pay. If you need help it is always available but there is no need for them to follow you around

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                We have plenty of locally owned franchised ACE and Tru Value hardware stores but the real mom and pop stores are long gone. The franchised stores may be locally owned but they certainly aren't anything like the old timee neighborhood hardware store. Gimme a brown paper bag full of nails over a box of nails anytime.
                Agreed, The major names are not the same as the small guys,

The family owned hardware stores are way way cooler

BAD WORD = franchised

Comment

BAD WORD = franchised
                  I do not know if it is a "bad word"

there have always been "wholesalers" and most of the small company's usually dealt through one of the wholesalers, you go in and ask for some thing that was not stocked and out from under the counter would come a large catalog that was a wholesale warehouse some where that they would order from, not much different than the "franchised" dealer ordering from there warehouse catalog, or Internet site,

I think the difference is the franchised dealer is more than likely to only look in there company catalog, and if it is not there it is not avable, where the old independent dealer would look in catalog A and then B and if not found catalog C, and order it for one,

the other thing is when there is a chain or larger company, many things come down to how fast does it move, and if it is not so many units sold in a month it may not be continued to be carried, as it does not pay the interest on the money that is invested in it,

where the old dealer many times recognized that I get 30 customers a year looking for cream separator oil, so I will carry cream separator oil, to the modern store they say 30 sales a year for that product does not warrant the investment in the shelf space or the stock investment,

it is a different way of doing business,
                  like the old lumber yard and the box store, and times are changing and will continue to change and more than likely change faster that before,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Around where I am it's chains or YUPPEE-ized old timer hardware stores anymore. The good old days of buying a pound of nails rather than a box, or screws by the piece are gone. Heck, I can't buy 14 feet of chain. GRRRR I have to buy precut lengths of chain now. I'm sure somewhere out in a little town far away there's still the old type of hardware store, but with the stupid laws, I'm sure they have to do everything as dictated to them or they loose their traders license. Anymore thanks to OSHA and insurance the lumber yard doesn't dare to power up the old Dewalt "El Beasto" radial arm saw of the 40 year old Unisaw to cut lumber. You buy it as it shipped to them or you bring you own "One Man/Woman Power" cross cut saw and some saw horses with you.

Try to buy galvanized carriage bolts, nuts and washers? I had to buy them in bulk lots for a fasteners distributor and I may as well sell what's left from the job on eBay, I guess.

Please never get my started on YUPPEES and/or yaupo schight. You do not want a 10000 words rant from me where it's all vulgar and angry.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      Around where I am it's chains or YUPPEE-ized old timer hardware stores anymore. The good old days of buying a pound of nails rather than a box, or screws by the piece are gone. Heck, I can't buy 14 feet of chain. GRRRR I have to buy precut lengths of chain now. I'm sure somewhere out in a little town far away there's still the old type of hardware store, but with the stupid laws, I'm sure they have to do everything as dictated to them or they loose their traders license. Anymore thanks to OSHA and insurance the lumber yard doesn't dare to power up the old Dewalt "El Beasto" radial arm saw of the 40 year old Unisaw to cut lumber. You buy it as it shipped to them or you bring you own "One Man/Woman Power" cross cut saw and some saw horses with you.

Try to buy galvanized carriage bolts, nuts and washers? I had to buy them in bulk lots for a fasteners distributor and I may as well sell what's left from the job on eBay, I guess.
                      Heck, even the HD has galvanized carriage bolts and washers (Stainless too) and a radial arm. I'm pretty sure they sell cut chain too; just like cut wire.

The lumber yard I go (Dykes) still has a radial arm and panel saw (as does HD).

Comment

CPW

Yes to HD & Lowes having things and being able to cut lumber. I'm thinking more of the smaller type stores that I so wish could come back to my area.

Comment

Working...
                        X