X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do you go

this is a self serving question but it comes sincerely from a desire to do what is best for all. i and my wife were discussing her teaching last night and she described a situation that she said was "always good". it was when two people or groups join together to fulfill a common purpose. (I am getting teary right now).

so. i have been dealing with industrial contractors for 30 years and my father for 60 years before me. i have seen things change. my father used to travel all over the country selling ridgid. there were hardly phones much less the internet.

so now the internet is fast becoming a major force in the trade. a plumber with an I Phone can see specifications and parts breakdowns anyplace his phone connects. and he can place his order from the jobsite.

so what i am interested in is how you guys think about your relationship with vendors and how is it changing. i assume there are other tool sellers on the forum and while this is a self serving request i sincerely and intentionally will listen to what you say and try to make the world better for Ridgid Tools and the People that use them.

i am tearing up again.

this was not, by the way, sent from a blackberry or a blueberry.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dgronim; 08-28-2009, 09:05 AM.
    http://www.blackbookoftools.com
    http://www.gronim.com

Re: where do you go

dennis, my take on it is that the ones that have done the research and know what they want, are typically looking for the best price they can find.

remember that buying a 14'' pipe wrench and buying a seesnake, propress or other expensive piece of equipment are 2 different things.

the $20 wrench is a necessity and spending 10% more is no big deal.

but the high dollar items are researched and not an impulse purchase. 10% on a $3k-10k purchase is some big bucks. so is sales tax. were at 9.75% here lots of fires to put out

ridgid has a pretty simple lifetime warranty. so it's not like you need a relationship with your local dealer.

now with ebay, you can find a deal on just about anything.

just like my brand new ridgid xlc propress jaws i won yesterday for 50% off hard to compete when you would lose money on that deal.

people are more price conscience than ever before. look at the mad dash for new cars with cash for clunkers. over 650,000 cars were sold in the 3 weeks it ran.

why not cash for worn out tools

bring in a ridgid tool with some hard earned miles and get a new one for 25% off

i'll run this one by the guys next week at the roundup

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      dennis, my take on it is that the ones that have done the research and know what they want, are typically looking for the best price they can find.

remember that buying a 14'' pipe wrench and buying a seesnake, propress or other expensive piece of equipment are 2 different things.

the $20 wrench is a necessity and spending 10% more is no big deal.

but the high dollar items are researched and not an impulse purchase. 10% on a $3k-10k purchase is some big bucks. so is sales tax. were at 9.75% here lots of fires to put out

ridgid has a pretty simple lifetime warranty. so it's not like you need a relationship with your local dealer.

now with ebay, you can find a deal on just about anything.

just like my brand new ridgid xlc propress jaws i won yesterday for 50% off hard to compete when you would lose money on that deal.

people are more price conscience than ever before. look at the mad dash for new cars with cash for clunkers. over 650,000 cars were sold in the 3 weeks it ran.

why not cash for worn out tools

bring in a ridgid tool with some hard earned miles and get a new one for 25% off

i'll run this one by the guys next week at the roundup

rick.
      yes. price and delivery are very important. but i wonder what % of industrial plumbers are using the internet? i wonder where they go when they do. not to buy stuff but to chat, like here. facebook? is that called new media? should i get my youngest salespeople to start a facebook account for tool stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by dgronim View Post
        yes. price and delivery are very important. but i wonder what % of industrial plumbers are using the internet? i wonder where they go when they do. not to buy stuff but to chat, like here. facebook? is that called new media? should i get my youngest salespeople to start a facebook account for tool stuff?
        I was looking at artful pictures last night when I got an email through Twitter from a lawyer/customer to join the Twitter community. I'm not so inclined to join, but I will pass it on to someone who will be. It's advertising on the cheap.

Yes, the new social networks are replacing the coffee shops and beer joints to a point. I still have salesreps who absolutely 100% insist on meeting in person because that's their strong point and its mine, too.

For buying tools and bulk supplies, I will go online first. I've built some real relationships with suppliers through their websites and emails. Of course, I can/will/do call the management team and they have to be there for me.

What I'm saying is the E-Age will not totally replace the human salerep, but it's a very important tool.
        (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
          I was looking at artful pictures last night when I got an email through Twitter from a lawyer/customer to join the Twitter community. I'm not so inclined to join, but I will pass it on to someone who will be. It's advertising on the cheap.

Yes, the new social networks are replacing the coffee shops and beer joints to a point. I still have salesreps who absolutely 100% insist on meeting in person because that's their strong point and its mine, too.

For buying tools and bulk supplies, I will go online first. I've built some real relationships with suppliers through their websites and emails. Of course, I can/will/do call the management team and they have to be there for me.

What I'm saying is the E-Age will not totally replace the human salerep, but it's a very important tool.
          excellent, thanks. we also remain committed to our hard copy catalog. we think it will be a useful tool.

my son looks forward to when he can actually jack into the machines directly. he is associated with neuro-scientists who are already doing it.

i'll be sitting here, a man on a construction job will think 38120 and i will deliver the dies next day.

i did ask my son and some of his clever friends if they could figure out a way for me to deliver the stuff through the internet. sort of like a compression and de-compression process. he told me to shut up.

Comment

Working...
          X