X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looney toons

Where is Bugs? Elmer? Daffy? Roadrunner? Marvin the martian, Tweety? Sylvester?
    While-e coyote? Tasmanian devil and the rest of the gang?
    And all the other marvelous cartoons of the past? Heckle and Jeckel ..wait they are now selling Windex in commercials!

The new cartoons are simply awful!

I grew up with looney toons, woody wood pecker and others of that era!
    I became aware of and appreciate classical music and learned important stuff, such as, an umbrella will not protect you from a falling anvil! Thank you Mr. Coyote

It seems the weenies have decided those cartoons are too violent! That's crap, as a kid
    I actually realized the difference between reality and fantasy! Today kids watch talking cucumbers and other fruit!....Oh Yeah now that's benign and safe.....
    I knew a friend on acid who saw a talking cucumber and to this day he is still not the same!

Cactus Man

Re: looney toons

They are alive and well and can be found hanging around YouTube.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Teletoon Retro and discovery is about all I watch

Comment

I blame Pokemon. That franchise just steamrolled every other animated feature right into the pavement. However, that show alone wasn't completely responsible for many a cartoons' demise, and the condition such animations are in today. 4Kids TV runs every cartoon handed to them through a censorship wringer to the point where the end result is something almost completely unrecognisable from the original. At one point, it gotten so bad, the result was one of the producers finally pulled the rights to air their cartoon away from 4Kids. Basically these companies have taken a "McDonalds" approach to set thier products at the lowest common denominator as far as intellectual level is concerned, pump out various products as fast as they can, and attract as many people as possible to bring in advertising revenue, all the while keeping the product disposable for easy removal when viewership lessens.

For myself, I too always remember the old looneytoons, but I prefered some of the series from late 80's to early to mid 90's, like G.I. Joe, ExoSquad, and yes, Animaniacs. Though today, I been keen to various Animes thanks to my Netflix account, not the garbage we all see on Saturday mornings. At least with the one's I mentioned, they don't treat the viewers like they can't add two plus two. I see the crap on now and it explains why our kids are stupid.

Comment

Here is a link to a real close family friend who is in animation.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0456631/

Our kids grew up together and we see each other almost daily to this point. He is a great guy and the guy that did the art work for my trucks. I have watched over the years and it seems it is more of a numbers game now. Slowly but surely the studios have out sourced the coloring and now the art work out of country. All he wants to do is entertain and his budgets are cut more every year.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have an add-on to my Windows Media PC called TVTonic.
            It downloads old cartoons over the 'net as well as videos
            from The Wood Whisperer, Popular Woodworking, and other
            places.

Unfortunately they stopped the service some months ago and the cartoons are no longer available for download, but some of the others still work and they are downloaded and cached to my HD for viewing later.

Attachment

Attachment
            Attached Files
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hey. Don't forget all those Disney characters? Actually some of that Pixar stuff is pretty clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                Hey. Don't forget all those Disney characters? Actually some of that Pixar stuff is pretty clever.
                Do not get me started on Disney. Pixar is not Disney, though they are guilty of being an accomplice.

Comment

I remember Looney Toons, but don't particularly use them as the gold standard. I think of GI Joe, Duck Tales, Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck as the gold standards. We can both agree that today's kids cartoons are garbage.

I really like the old Disney movies, but strongly prefer the new Pixar movies over new Disney ones (though Bolt is a nice new Disney movie).

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                    I remember Looney Toons, but don't particularly use them as the gold standard. I think of GI Joe, Duck Tales, Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck as the gold standards. We can both agree that today's kids cartoons are garbage.

I really like the old Disney movies, but strongly prefer the new Pixar movies over new Disney ones (though Bolt is a nice new Disney movie).
                    Each generation will have its "gold standard" or best cartoons.

One is not necessarily better than the other. They all had their strong points. As technology improved so did the quality of the films.

But the earlier ones from the 40s & 50s (for me anyway) had some great writers and the subtle and sometimes not so subtle remarks or characterizations of public figures were what really made them funny to me as a kid.

Looking back from today many might say that some were politically incorrect. I have never saw them that way back then as I was too young to grasp all the underlying political or social jabs that were thrown out there in the form of a cartoon film.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

What happened to Looney tunes? I'll tell ya what happened to Looney Tunes! The same dam thing that is happening to all of us, is what happened to looney Tunes!!!!! It's called getting old!
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Looney Tunes had a great run. Unfortunately todays generation has killed it off. Some of us are old enough to remember cartoons before the actual movie on the big screen.

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                          What happened to Looney tunes? I'll tell ya what happened to Looney Tunes! The same dam thing that is happening to all of us, is what happened to looney Tunes!!!!! It's called getting old!
                          i have to disagree. they are timeless NOT old

steve
                          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            Each generation will have its "gold standard" or best cartoons. But the earlier ones from the 40s & 50s (for me anyway) had some great writers and the subtle and sometimes not so subtle remarks or characterizations of public figures were what really made them funny to me as a kid.
                            I agree. My favorite cartoons are the original Popeye's turned out in the '20's by Paramount under Adolphe Zukor. The sotto voce comments of Popeye and Pluto were definitely aimed at an adult audience. They are like watching two parallel stories unfold at the same time.
                            As for Disney, I remember going to Sleeping Beauty (1959) when it was first released. Scared the snot out of me. One of my all time favorites, Pacos Bill, has since been subject to censorship due to his smoking habit. Cartoons are definitely a product of their times (think Betty Boop).

Comment

Working...
                            X