X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got any bee keepers on here?

Was just wondering if there were any bee keepers on this site??

G3

Re: Got any bee keepers on here?

My dad used to be big time into bee keeping and I used to tag along. Bees had a huge die off around here maybe 15 years back because of a parasite.. .forgot what its called. We still have our extractors and hives though.

Comment

well those "parasites" are varoa mites, tracheal mites, and now small hive beatles, along with colony collapse disorder.

Do you still help your Dad out in the bee yard?

I have been keeping beesw for 30+ years now, just a small hobby for me.

G3

Comment

I have a hive that I was going to split into two this season but never got a chance.

I had 18 at one time but all but two died.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

my dad kept bees for a while.

that's when i figured out what "bee line" means.

Vince

Comment

bee lining is a fun way to spend the day.

G3

Comment

i've been stung 3 times

2 times over a soda can. one in the palm and one on my tongue

the most recent was drain cleaning. on my arm.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                bee lining is a fun way to spend the day.

G3

I'll bite, what is "bee lining"?
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

beelining is a way to find feral hives of bees. You have to catch some foraging bees and then release them one at a time and follow them back to the hive. Sounds simple but can be done in a day or two or week. Most times you will find someone elses hives if you are in some small farming areas. Best to go to a very large farm or the mountains, someplace you know there are not any kept hives or pollinators.

It is a fun thing to do for kids and old men.

G3

Comment

Thats where the term "making a bee line for it" comes from, meaning a straight, uninterrupted line of travel.
                    No matter what path a honey bee takes to get to where it is, when it's time to return to the hive, she will always "make a bee line for it".

And yes I say she for a reason. The females are the only ones that work in or out of the hive. The males do nothing but eat and are only around for the slight chance they may be needed for mating. A hive of 60,000 bees might have 200 males. Sounds like a nice life right? Not quite. Once cold weather starts to roll around no chance of mating so males become just food eaters, they are a burden on the hive. The males are "invited" to leave the hive, those that don't go willingly are killed and dragged out.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                      beelining is a way to find feral hives of bees. You have to catch some foraging bees and then release them one at a time and follow them back to the hive. Sounds simple but can be done in a day or two or week. Most times you will find someone elses hives if you are in some small farming areas. Best to go to a very large farm or the mountains, someplace you know there are not any kept hives or pollinators.

It is a fun thing to do for kids and old men.

G3
                      Ummm....I've never chased after a bee. Actually, it's usually the other way around.

What do you do? just run after them trying to keep them in eyesight?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Ummm....I've never chased after a bee. Actually, it's usually the other way around.

What do you do? just run after them trying to keep them in eyesight?
                        Me too. The same can definitely be said about wasps too (especially yellow-jackets) I've been chased and stung way too many times, those buggers don't wanna leave you alone once they find out you're worth chasing! My experience with bees is if you leave them alone they wont bother you but if you come too close to a wasps nest or run away from a curious wasp there is a chance you will get stung!

Comment

There is a little more to it than just running after bees. First you need to find some foraging bees and capture several of them in your beelining box which will contain honey or sugar water. After they fill their honey stomach they are wanting to return to the hive. So you let one out and see what direction she flies in. Mark your your location and walk in the direction that she flew in, say 50 to 100 yards, let another one out and she which direction she flies in (if she goes the other way you have past them up). You can keep going like that to find them or you can use triangulation to find them. With the areal photos you can get off of google maps or google earth it can cut your time down by somewhat locating a logical nesting area.

Here is a link that will explain it better than me.

http://www.savethehives.com/fbp/Beelining.html

and a couple of other beek sites
                          http://forum.beemaster.com/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/inde...afcc0062e366b8

G3

Comment

Working...
                          X