X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing home heating oil tank

I've got an abandoned 275 gal home heating oil tank that's left in my basement from when I converted to natural gas. The plumber who did the conversion said that I could cut the top half of the tank off with a sawsall in order to get the thing out of the basement (won't go out in one piece). I tipped the tank up at about 45 degree angle and managed to drain everything from the tank. I was planning to vent the tank to the outside and dump 5 pounds or so of dry ice into the thing before starting my cut to drive out the oxygen. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Would prefer not to blow myself and the house up in the process..

Re: removing home heating oil tank

I've removed dozens. Most had to be cut out. By law, we have to remove them when we do a conversion. Try to carry it out first. You'de be surprised how well they fit through doorways.

You'll need a full pack of a quality metal blades for the sawzall. No need to use dry ice, it won't catch fire. There will be residue that needs to be contained. I usually just use the absorbant cat litter. Keep a fan going to remove the smell during this process. That stink will stick to everything.

Comment

Just be glad it's not buried. I had a friend who was trying sell the house, a home inspector came in and found one buried. He reported it to the county and the county came out and made them clean it up. When they dug it up it was half full with a bad crack in it where it had leaked into the soil and the tank was rusted out very badly. To make a long story short $10,000 dollars later and property value way down they can't sell the house.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        You'de be surprised how well they fit through doorways.

Oh yea, I have "brought in" hundreds though doorways when I was doing New Construction back in the day

They look bigger then they are, but they fit though most doors

Comment

Power nippers.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
          X