X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally selling on ebay

I've bought many things but haven't had the nerve to sell any items. I finally decided to go for it though. We'll see how it goes. I've got lots of things I wouldn't mind putting on there if the process doesn't make me weep.

BTW...it was just a couple of bare tools. I wanted the Lithium Ion batteries and charger from a discounted combo and thought I'd unload the extras to offset the cost.

Any experiences or suggestions from others that have sold?

Re: finally selling on ebay

A buddy of mine sold a lot on Ebay and he had plenty to say at the time. Most folks are honest and sincere about the purchase, but there are some who will give you grief. Make sure to include the shipping, don't ship until you have been paid! Try not to argue, I think Ebay suspends sellers if they have a certain number of strikes against them. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Comment

selling on ebay has gotten a little better now that they cut back on the listing fees. If you only sell a handful of items per month, it's free to list, so you don't lose anything there.

Other little things: be prepared for lots of messages if you're selling a popular item, being as complete as possible on your listing and including good photos will help reduce this. Watch out for scams, don't mess with any other forms of payment besides Paypal, and make sure the buyer has a registered address if you are selling something expensive.

Comment

I've seen that many people wont ship to a PO Box.

What is the deal with that?

Comment

I won't ship to a P.O. Box, the reason why that is if there is an issue with the payment then there is no physical address to connect the payer with. Also UPS won't deliver to post office boxes and I only ship ups. When I started making my items I sell, I used usps and I got so much grief from them one location would charge one price while the other would charge another for the same item and the same weight I would pay a difference of 20.00 to ship the item depending on the location I went to. They have such poor service and on average 1.5 out of every five packages arrived damaged. I was making solid wood items and my boxes would be completely crushed. So I went to a box that could hold 350 lbs and they still got crushed. So I started shipping UPS and it was cheaper and they include insurance and a tracking number for free on items under $100.00. Over 50 items shipped ups and only one arrived damaged which i was reimbursed for within two weeks. I love my UPS store the guy that owns it and I are on a first name basis and the one time I had an issue he called me personally to apologize. I am a customer of theirs for life.

Comment

Something you must know is that if you have under a hundred feedback rating on ebay then paypal will put a 21 day hold on any payment over $30.00 . They do this so ppl wont scam ppl by taking a payment and not shipping the item . Paypal will release the funds sooner but the buyer will have to leave positive feedback once they receive the item . I have a payment being held right now and for some reason even though the party received there item they will not leave me feedback or respond to my emails so I guess I will have to wait the 21 days . If by chance the buyer leaves you negative feedback then the hold on the payment will remain until the problem is resolved.

Also remember Ebay is going to charge you a final value fee and then if Paypal is used then Paypal will also take a cut .

Comment

Another thing you will have to be mindful of is international bidders . It costs alot more than ppl think and are willing to pay to have it shipped international .
              You can have it to where no international bidders can bid on your items .
              You can also block certain bidders and bidders with low feedback rating.
              Send me a PM if you have any ?'s about selling on ebay.
              Last edited by CLDS; 09-11-2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Pm what tools you have and I might take them off your hands if its something I need and since we live 24 miles away from eachother it might save you some money lol

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                  I've bought many things but haven't had the nerve to sell any items. I finally decided to go for it though. We'll see how it goes. I've got lots of things I wouldn't mind putting on there if the process doesn't make me weep.

BTW...it was just a couple of bare tools. I wanted the Lithium Ion batteries and charger from a discounted combo and thought I'd unload the extras to offset the cost.

Any experiences or suggestions from others that have sold?
                  Sounds like what many others, including myself, often do. I'm going to be listing a new 18 volt lithium ion compact battery shortly, as well as the charger for this Ridgid battery - I just picked up the new cordless 15 gauge finish nailer, and selling off these unneeded items (since I already have lots of both) will help offset my purchase price of this tool.

It's very commonplace, and even though eBay buyers don't get LLSA eligibility, it's often a good sale/deal for you and them, since many might only be looking for that one solo item, and not a kit or multiple pieces, etc.

All that's been said so far about eBay selling are good points. Like CLDS said, if you need anything further, feel free to PM me as well.

Comment

I have sold tons on eBay. To eliminate tons of questions try to list every single detail about the item. Look up the same item you are selling and go to the completed auctions to see what that item typically sells for plus how much others charge for shipping and insurance. Insurance is a must incase lost or damaged. Pictures sell better than no picture of the item.

Comment

I have sold some things on the bay. It was pretty easy and I enjoyed watching people bid.

I was charged last month for two items that did not sell, it was only .70 cents but it wasn't free like I was led to believe. They charged a buy it now fee and a designer listing fee oh well.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

My first two items sold.

I had "buy it now"s of $50 and $70 but the items sold for $51 and $71 after the bidding.

Gotta mail them out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                          I have sold some things on the bay. It was pretty easy and I enjoyed watching people bid.

I was charged last month for two items that did not sell, it was only .70 cents but it wasn't free like I was led to believe. They charged a buy it now fee and a designer listing fee oh well.
                          I believe it is free for 5 items per month sold in an auction format, not in a buy-it-now format. Also, any other listing additions are still charged for. I'm not 100% sure, as I don't really look at the listing price details too much anymore - I just know it's 60 cents here, 75 there, etc.

Comment

One question...

The PayPal transaction was for less than the auction price. Did ebay already take their fee out or did paypal take a fee out? Just curious. I kind of got the impression that ebay would bill for their fees once a month rather than on each auction.

Comment

Ebay takes a final value fee that they will bill you for 30 days out. Paypal takes its fee right then and there.

Comment

Working...
                              X