X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil

OK, oil in its own right is millions of years old..That's a given.
    I wonder though, how long you can store an unopened plastic container of
    processed oil..let's say Harley 20-50w????

Cactus Man

Re: oil

I'll say this then I go for a ride on maybe the last riding day of summer.

Here's a story of a town that buried a car for 50 years: https://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/20...tulsarama.aspx
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

probably the plastic can will break down before the oil will, 10, 20 or longer, years, is my guess,

the specifications will probably change before the oil will (or additives) will break down,

say take a engine from the 1950's more than likely basally took a non detergent or very little additives, and was changed often, now you have oils that can go for thousands of miles and some synthetics that are for 10,000 of miles, would you want to use the 1950 oil in your new car, NO, it will not do the job it needs to, but the oil is as good as the day it left the refinery, in its sealed can.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Unopened? Many, many years! Regarding synthetics, I've been using Amsoil motor, air compressor and other synthetic products for over fifteen years without a problem. I don't believe the oil itself breakdown, but the pollutants from the air and combustion cause problems. I was having trouble shifting my 1990 Maxima 5speed manual when the weather got cold, switched to
        Redline MT-90 sythetic gear oil. Now it shifts smooth as butter on the coldest day. A word of advice for anyone thinging of changing the oil in their manual transmission, make sure to use the right product. Older transmission like mine used soft metal such as brass and copper, the new synthetic gear oils with detergents ruin these transmissions. I found that the Redline MT-90 was safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
          I'll say this then I go for a ride on maybe the last riding day of summer.

Here's a story of a town that buried a car for 50 years: https://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/20...tulsarama.aspx
          Oh that was a cool read TY
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I wound be more concerned about heat & cold as in where i wound be storing it

Comment

According to Mobil, shelf life of unopened motor oil is considered to be 5 years.

source
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Working...
              X