Highest Mileage Vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highest Mileage Vehicle

What's the most miles you've put on a vehicle?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Highest Mileage Vehicle

Not me but my wifes uncle(original owner) had 478,000 on his gmc truck with nothing major ever done to it but the freeze plugs . Me , I had 267,000 on a 89 Mustang GT.

Comment

Diesel or gas?

Comment

250,000 on my 1990 Maxima. Car is still running strong, does not burn or leak oil. Just changed the spark plugs after fifteen years!

Comment

We retired a 1985 Chevy van with an utility body on it. had 630K+ miles on it. That was my dads work truck. I owned a 1998 Chevy 3/4 ton HD that had 280K miles on when it got totaled in my accident in 2004.

The accident was me making a left hand turn on a green arrow and this guy came flying from the opposite direction and blasted my van right at the rear axle on the passenger side, which sent my van into a roll then it flipped end over end. To this days I thank the stars I am still here, but I curse them at the same time because I used up all my good luck right at that point and time.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

137K on a Nissan Sentra. The California emissions catalytic converter died and was $900 to replace, so I drove around for a year until it was almost inspectiont time and the head gasket blew.

Comment

211,000 on an s 10
              the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

My grandfather said they stopped counting at 500,000. How true is it? I don't know. But they did rebuild the engine years back and the mechanic said he could see daylight around the pistons when they dropped the oil pan.

J.C.
                Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-13-2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I'm very impressed with some of these posts, truly amazing mileages. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see the newer vehicles holding up nearly as well considering all the cheap parts and extremely complicated designs. Sealed bearings can't be lubed, plastic intakes and other parts designed to fall apart lead me to believe planned obsolesence and a disposable design have won out over built to last, quality is job one and all those other well intended sayings.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    I'm very impressed with some of these posts, truly amazing mileages. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see the newer vehicles holding up nearly as well considering all the cheap parts and extremely complicated designs. Sealed bearings can't be lubed, plastic intakes and other parts designed to fall apart lead me to believe planned obsolesence and a disposable design have won out over built to last, quality is job one and all those other well intended sayings.
                    Some of this is very true. Some, maybe not so much. I guess time will tell.

The one thing that some preach is how engine management systems (computers & sensors) make engines cleaner and last longer. Not so sure how true this is.

Cleaner out the tailpipe? Maybe. But people always forget that their must be another factory to build the catalytic converter, computer, EGR parts etc. Then, the raw material to make those products. Transporting those products. The people that work there. The pollutants that the vehicles they drive. Etc. Etc.-Get the point?

Vehicles are going longer but once again I wonder about the big picture of that.

People travel longer distances to work etc. giving a false reading of the actual improvement on the lasting ability of vehicles. The only real way to measure improvement is with hour meters on the drivetrain. I have absolutely no idea why they have not been mandated onto any new vehicle.

They also maintain them more often. The Japanese started this with their maintenance schedule. Replace your timing belt, your water pump, adjust your valves, repack your wheel bearings.

Good ideas, but I remember a time before the oncoming of Honda, Toyota etc. when people that bought a new truck didn't do anything to it except change the oil, plugs, filters. That was it. No timing belt, timing chain. Replaced the water pump when it broke. Wheel bearing wore out, replace it.

The Japanese pre-maintenance has led many into the belief that their product is always better because it does not break when in reality people are replacing the weak links before they break.

P.S. I have a 1994 Toyota truck with 235,000 miles on it that has fought me alot along the way. But the brake rotors are FANTASTIC! Nothing but replaced the pads. Nope, never turned. No real scoring, runout or thinning, pitting or cracking. Great.

J.C.

Comment

I have not "cut" or replaced a brake rotor in years, as long as the calipers hold up I just replace the disc pads before they wear down too much. Beware the rotors made in china! We are getting some real junk from china and some of it is putting us and other drivers at risk. I'd like to see some kind of standards applied to these import parts, better yet start making them here in the USA! I know the manufacturing plants will pollute, but they pollute in china as well. Please don't start attacking the Unions or lazy overpaid American workers, we either pay Americans and buy American or we keep building up communist china and the rest of the world.

Comment

113,000 on a '68 Oldsmobile

Comment

Bought a brand new Volvo 544 in 1963. Car was easy to maintain and all I put in was gas, oil, brakes, clutch and front pin and bushing, (no ball joints in this car). Ran it over 5 years and it was still in excellent shape.

In 1968, It was totaled with 150K miles on it.

I was stopped at a stop sign and was hit by two other (American) vehicles that collided in the intersection, slid into me on the drivers side and pushed me into a stone wall. I crawled out the window.

I was the only one in the three cars that was un-injured. The people in the other cars all had serious injuries as seats had broken loose and they had been thrown around the interior of their cars (this was prior to wide spread seat belt use).

My car interior was undamaged and the engine remained running, didn't lose a drop of oil or coolant. Front wheels had been torn off, rear axle broken and major body panel damage.

I went out and bought another new Volvo/

Since late 60's many safety features have been added to all cars and most accidents today are survivable.

Comment

I normally retire them at 180-190k, putting those miles on them every 3-31/2 years. That is about all the Fords can handle, last one went out with a bang at 183K. When I drove Chevys they would still be strong when traded in. Ford Super Dutys aren't rebuildable, throw away engines in the V8 gas models.
                            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

69 ford galaxy 360,000 miles on it over half of it was on gravel roads, wore out one gas tank do to the gravel.

78 ford van about 260,000 on it at lest, the odometer had rolled over when I got it, still drivable, and used on occasion, it body is thin do to the gravel as well.

53 ford 1 1/2 truck odometer stopped working, nearly 50 years ago with 53,000 miles on it, we do not know how many miles on it,

1974 Chevy 4x4 1/2 ton, about 120,000 on it over 3/4 of it has been off road in the pastures, an under 20 miles an hr, finally found tires that will hold up, http://www.noflats.com/ they make a recapped snow tread tire, the truck is getting rough tho, good power train lousy body's,

my current "junk yard car" has about 125,000 on it we have put 60 thousand on it bought it for $125. nice car too, Buick century, gets about 30 mpg,

extamated the tractors, they have about 10,000 hrs on them each, (one at 9600 hr and the other at 9200 hr @ 5 mph which is the stated speed with out tire slip, that would be about 50,000 miles.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X