Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year round growing in Maine

Did a job today at Back Yard Farms.

They grow tomatoes year round in massive green houses. They just started here around 2 years ago(ish???).

One of the HUGE reasons they chose this site is this town owns and produces their own power. So electric rates are dirt cheap in that town.

They now have a 24 acre and a 18 acre green house with plans to add a 30 acre green house.

I heard, but forgot to confirm that they even have bee hives inside for pollinating.

They have a very strict contamination policy. They had a sewer back up outside the building last week. Even though it was outside and in no way effected any equipment in the building they enacted what they call a "code red decon" meaning they had to decontaminate every piece of equipment and the building and treat everything like it was contaminated.
    When the manager saw us today he started to freak. Once he found out we were just inspecting, he explained how much work/head ache a "code red" is.

Pictured #1 24 acre house

#2 close up

#3 My old go to guy for General wire parts. The only one that could get me the right parts the first time. Wish he would go back, but he LOVES his new job. Here hes about to dump product that didn't make the cut and deliver me some free samples.

#4 my free samples. we had BLT's for supper.
    Even got to try a new product not on the market yet. They call them pepper tomatoes. Little bigger then cherry tomatoes and shaped like a pepper. Very different flavor. I ate 6 of them and still can't make up my mind if I like them or not.
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Year round growing in Maine

Sometimes I really miss living in Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by CLDS View Post
      Sometimes I really miss living in Maine.
      Don't worry, I'll post some pics this winter. Then you'll be happy you moved
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Maine's too far south for my taste.

But that greenhouse....man-oh-man, what a great looking operation. I wonder what their books look like.
        (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
          Maine's too far south for my taste.

But that greenhouse....man-oh-man, what a great looking operation. I wonder what their books look like.

I'm sure they are doing very well. They started with one green house (24 acre or 18 I'm not sure) and very shortly after expanded with the other.
          Now they are planing a third at 30 acres.

Also talk of another type of crop. I don't remember what?????

Pardon the pun, but they keep on growing.

Awesome thing for this area as paper mills, shoe factories, and textile mills have been closing for years and replaced with part time min wage jobs.

One thing I noticed while I was on site (2 different days, total of 4hrs) the employees are upbeat and happy acting. I think they truly enjoy their jobs, not like the mills around here where the employees look like a herd of cattle going to slaughter while they are returning from break/punching in.

Comment

Where in Maine is this? I'm originally from Rumford and I still have a camp on Rangeley lake that I try to get to at least twice a year. Next time up I'd like to take a run by this place.
            When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by DSurette View Post
              Where in Maine is this? I'm originally from Rumford and I still have a camp on Rangeley lake that I try to get to at least twice a year. Next time up I'd like to take a run by this place.

AHHH, Good old stinky Rumford.
              I always tell people that ask how I deal with the stinky smells of my job "that right there is the smell of money" I say. I get it from my Grandfather. He was a "big wig" involved with a lot of paper mills. He always loved the smell of Rumford. One big inhale through the nose followed by a big exhale through the mouth "AHHHHHHH, the smell of money".

Anyway the tomato green houses are pretty much on your way to Rangeley. Old County RD in Madison. Hit the stop sign at the intersection of Rt 43 and look dead ahead. Can't miss it. It will be the massive building with all the glass. Quite a sight really. The biggest building I've ever seen in Maine. I asked the Guard how many feet the building is and he says "don't know. I know it's 24 acres". I've never thought of a building in terms of acres. Thats friggin' huge.

Look me up before your next trip. I'll get us a tour, but you've got to take me fishing in Rangeley.It's been a while, last stop was for beer and gas taking the long way to Brownville through Katadin Iron works.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                I'm sure they are doing very well. They started with one green house (24 acre or 18 I'm not sure) and very shortly after expanded with the other.
                Now they are planing a third at 30 acres.

Also talk of another type of crop. I don't remember what?????

Pardon the pun, but they keep on growing.

Awesome thing for this area as paper mills, shoe factories, and textile mills have been closing for years and replaced with part time min wage jobs.

One thing I noticed while I was on site (2 different days, total of 4hrs) the employees are upbeat and happy acting. I think they truly enjoy their jobs, not like the mills around here where the employees look like a herd of cattle going to slaughter while they are returning from break/punching in.
                It hurts my head to think of the logistics of a 24 acre greenhouse. That's almost 22 football fields...it be big.

Yeah, the last paper factory (toilet paper) closed down last year and its already being demolished. Nobody but the unemployed really cared. Cutting down our trees and using them for that purpose never sat well here.

The last saw mill closed down a few years ago and the air got instantly sweet. Stinkin' places, those tree slaughter houses. Loggers aren't faring well here...oh well.

Comment

They grow tomatoes year round in massive green houses. They just started here around 2 years ago(ish???).

One of the HUGE reasons they chose this site is this town owns and produces their own power. So electric rates are dirt cheap in that town.

They now have a 24 acre and a 18 acre green house with plans to add a 30 acre green house.

I heard, but forgot to confirm that they even have bee hives inside for pollinating.
                  Gene
                  Unlike my temperate Central California area, growing tomatoes at your latitude is a challenge, even with greenhouses. However, fall and winter crops like broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, Chinese greens, spinach, leeks, kale and cauliflower and potatoes are right up your area's alley. Gardening is thebest way for a civilized person to get back to nature. For the uncivilized there is always the hunter/gatherer model.

Comment

where the employees look like a herd of cattle going to slaughter while they are returning from break/punching in.

When I worked at Kahn's on Spring Grove Avenue in Cincinnati for a union service plumbing company, it was just exactly that.

Employees wouldn't speak to you, wouldn't talk, they acted like drones.

The lunchroom/cafeteria had discussions going on, but never anything of happy talk or laughter.

I sat down eating my pork products with my coworkers, using my inside voice.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Gene
                      Unlike my temperate Central California area, growing tomatoes at your latitude is a challenge, even with greenhouses. However, fall and winter crops like broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, Chinese greens, spinach, leeks, kale and cauliflower and potatoes are right up your area's alley. Gardening is thebest way for a civilized person to get back to nature. For the uncivilized there is always the hunter/gatherer model.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                        I sat down eating my pork products with my coworkers, using my inside voice.
                        You know, when your mom and teachers were talking about using your "inside voice" when you were a kid, they were talking about speaking quietly inside building, not quietly speaking to the voices inside your head

I tried the whole mill thing. It lasted about 2 months. Worked at San Antonio Shoe as a heal shaper. (insert smiley blowing it's head off).
                        I just couldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                          Gene
                          Broccoli is a fairly new crop "up country" (way northern Maine).

When I was a kid it was nothing but BMW's (big Maine women) and potatos. Now you see more and more fields of broccoli. I don't know how to explain it but for some reason the color of a field of broccoli just looks so out of place to me.

Comment

Broccoli is a fairly new crop "up country" (way northern Maine).

When I was a kid it was nothing but BMW's (big Maine women) and potatos. Now you see more and more fields of broccoli. I don't know how to explain it but for some reason the color of a field of broccoli just looks so out of place to me.
                            Those BMW's sound intimidating. Guess you have to steer clear of dark alleys.
                            As for broccoli, it may seem out of place, but frosty conditions actual improve it's flavor. Too bad GW Bush, from Kennebunke in southern Maine, doesn't like broccoli, because nutritionally it's a real powerhouse, as are many of the dark green Chinese greens.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                              Those BMW's sound intimidating. Guess you have to steer clear of dark alleys.
                              As for broccoli, it may seem out of place, but frosty conditions actual improve it's flavor. Too bad GW Bush, from Kennebunke in southern Maine, doesn't like broccoli, because nutritionally it's a real powerhouse, as are many of the dark green Chinese greens.
                              Seeing a post about crops from someone in San Mateo County is funny. Like there's 3,000 people per square mile in that county. Not much room to grow fruit...

(I been to almost every large city in America and even lived in a few for longer than I'll admit to. NYC rules.)

Comment

Working...
                              X