Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net Neutrality- How Long Will it Last?

This bears watching even though it won't happen overnight. And that is part of what makes it so scary, the public will lose interest and it will slip in under the radar unless we the people make our views known to the FCC and out representatives.

Read the full story at full speed while you still can. The big three ISPs are looking to make a killing on both ends, from the web site owners and those who visit their sites. A place such as this great forum, if RIDGID did not choose to pay extra for the necessary bandwith to support what we now call 'normal' throughput, would run at a snails pace. It would be like going back to the 56K dial-up days, and with the heavy graphics that some posts include (and that's not a complaint), it could be slower.

The internet backbone was built with YOUR tax dollars, and the USA basically just gave it away when the WWW first came into being.

Next thing ya know they will want to charge you for air.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammo. 'cause we ain't taking this one laying down.

---snip---
    Net neutrality is basically what the Internet has now. When you go to visit a Web site it doesn't matter if it's Amazon or the little book shop around the corner, you will be able to navigate both sites with the same speed. But Internet service providers like AT&T and Comcast have expressed interest in charging companies if they want consumers to gain faster access to their Web sites. So Comcast could make a deal with Amazon that makes it a lot easier to visit Amazon's site, than say, ma and pa's book site. Or an ISP could make a deal with YouTube that makes it harder for a startup video site to compete against it.
    ---snip---
    Link to full story on NPR
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...18130&ft=1&f=3
    Last edited by Bob D.; 09-27-2009, 09:42 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Net Neutrality- How Long Will it Last?

Ouch,
    This would hurt

Comment

Thanks for letting us know

Comment

I remember hearing talk a while back that the gov't was going to somehow charge us for e-mails, maybe that was a joke? Need to know more about this issue, exactly what would it be called? I'll write to the FCC and my reps in Washington, but so far the legislators are not listening very well.

Comment

We are all effing screwed. I'm going to go buy another 100 domains.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Welcome to 1998.

Net Neutrality was a joke to begin with anyway. Ranked right up there with the Internet 2.0 debacle.

First off, think in terms of infrastructure, those ISP can just barely manage to transfer all those trillions of ones and zeros to begin with, you people really believe they are going to be able to even give any sort of priority to whomever the "highest bidder" may be? Didn't think so.

Second, we already have so-called "tiered" internet services already, they are called:
            Dial-up
            DSL
            Cable
            Satilite
            T1-T3
            etc...

The less you pay, the less service you get, just like driving, you pay just the taxes, you just drive on the public roads. Pay a small fee, you can drive on the toll roads at a faster speed, with fewer hang-ups.

Third, and lastly, the arguement is the AMOUNT of data is what should be charged. Basically slap a meter onto the connection that counts each one and zero that passes through. I call BS on this one because (And no this is not a strawman, this really was attempted) because when a customer needs to transfer alot of data, they need to purchase a better service to support that transfer, so the customer already effectively paid a higher amount for the greater service to do it.

I'm my opinion, just treat it like the media companies treat the phone lines. It's a form of communication, sent over the air and wires, then piped into our homes and businesses, charge it accordingly for it's availability, so if we want a faster connection, we pay a higher rate, just like the toll roads.

Comment

You don't actually need to pay for a higher service to transfer a lot of data. It is just like the residential electric grid. In theory I can use 48KW at my house (240V * 200 amps), which would be 34MWH a month. Practically, I only use about 1000KWH in the summer. I can download a big 5GB ISO, and it goes pretty quick. If everyone did it all the time, then the connection would crawl. ISPs, just like the electric company, must overprovision to have a cost effective operation.

The biggest question here is for services that do require some quality of service like Voice-over-IP. I pay Cable Vision for my service, and have a Vonage phone. Should Cablevision be allowed to divide traffic into classes and prioritize other VoIP services (ignoring Optimum voice for the moment) over Vonage unless Vonage ponies up? Keep in mind, I'm already paying for the access.

Comment

There are some political issues here, but also technical. If you consider the growth of the net usage we may hit an aggregate bandwidth limit before the bandwidth is increased. This kinda puts in perspective all kinds of HD movies over the net. These would put a huge impact on connection speeds.

To free up significant amount of bandwidth I would like to propose cruel and unusual death penalty for spammers.
                In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                  There are some political issues here, but also technical. If you consider the growth of the net usage we may hit an aggregate bandwidth limit before the bandwidth is increased. This kinda puts in perspective all kinds of HD movies over the net. These would put a huge impact on connection speeds.

To free up significant amount of bandwidth I would like to propose cruel and unusual death penalty for spammers.
                  90% of all internet traffic is spam. However, don't take my word for it, look it up.

As far as spammers go, it is quite impossible to run into Amendment issues since there really isn't a punishment on Earth cruel enough for such people in invoke that right.
                  Last edited by tailgunner; 09-21-2009, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                    90% of all internet traffic is spam. However, don't take my word for it, look it up.
                    It over 90% of all email traffic. Still a lot.
                    Where I work we filter out 95 to 98% of messages as spam.

As for penalties, one spammer has in fact been killed a few years ago.
                    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I used a 16" ridgid!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                      X