Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ford says Thanks!

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
    Automakers have not overcomplicated vehicles - The government has overcomplicated vehicles. The majority of the excessive complexity/computers/sensors, are there in response to increasingly stringent emissions laws and crash laws. Cars in the 1980's were removing probably 98% of tailpipe emissions, yet the government standards today have cut the remaining 2% to about 1/10th of what it was. Then you add all the electronics for the 8 airbags needed to get a decent crash test rating. I think we are at the point of diminishing returns here. The other thing driving the complexity is consumer demand. 30 years ago the wealthy neighbors had power windows, we did not. Now econoboxes have power windows, and most cars have seats, locks, nav systems, dvd screens, etc.
    Good point.

Comment

Glad we can post our opinions and remain respectful. I see our country going through a very difficult time and whatever behaviors, events or other issues that got us here will either be corrected or not. Sure hope when the dust settles we have a thriving economy and wiser more secure Americans.
      to all here who care enough to give these issues their time and thoughts.

Comment

Ok, this might earn me a slap on the wrist from our beloved Moderators, however I believe we are all are adults here, AND we all know how true this is:

Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-25-2009, 05:49 PM. Reason: Your friendly moderator

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
          Ok, this might earn me a slap on the wrist from our beloved Moderators, however I believe we are all are adults here, AND we all know how true this is:

True to some degree and while some blame the Unions I find more fault with the poor design and engineering year after year. Maybe they are making better vehicles now, I don't know but the damage is done. Heard chrysler that did take bailout money is partnered with fiat and will be making a mini car in mexico. How does our tax money to them help our country if the jobs are going to mexico? I really don't care that much anyway, I won't be buying any new car for quite a while. Put a window regulator in my twenty year old Maxima today, took about twenty minutes, nice design well thought out car.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Put a window regulator in my twenty year old Maxima today, took about twenty minutes, nice design well thought out car.

OMG

You just made my day

You drive a Maxima?

I mean there is nothing wrong with that car BUT when I first read this thread, I was picturing you to be a guy who only drives American

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I just saw this story on my local News and was sort of shocked and disappointed, after Ford benefitted from taxpayer bailout money and the cash for clunkers program the best way it could repay Americans was to build a $ four hundred and ninety million dollar plant in communist china!
            http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090925/...rd_china_plant

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Ford still has not taken any bail out funds. Other than the DoE funds, which are an incentive (completely different than accepting funds to keep a company going...), Ford's not been bailed out.

So, Ford's building cars in China? I don't know the exact percentage of my tools are made in China (probably about 85 percent, or more...), but if cheap tools and cars make operating business here easier or cheaper, then why not? The less I pay for tools, the more I tools I can have, the more I can do with what I have. As long as quality is similar or equal of course. And not everything Chinese is crap, there's a big difference between Harbor Freight brand crap and Ridgid stuff.

If there was this much focus on getting kids to become doctors, engineers, and scientists, we'd be a stronger nation.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                OMG

You just made my day

You drive a Maxima?

I mean there is nothing wrong with that car BUT when I first read this thread, I was picturing you to be a guy who only drives American

You do know that lots of Nissan's are made in the USA. The Sentra that I used to have was built in Smyrna, TN and the Honda I have now is built in Marysville, Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  You do know that lots of Nissan's are made in the USA. The Sentra that I used to have was built in Smyrna, TN and the Honda I have now is built in Marysville, Ohio.
                  Oppps

My bad - I had no idea that car was made in the USA

Sorry Frankiarmz

See I learned something new again today ;=)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_the_Hack View Post
                    If there was this much focus on getting kids to become doctors, engineers, and scientists, we'd be a stronger nation.
                    Sir, that's is exactly the problem. There is so much focus on our children to become the next Louis Pasture, Madame Currie, Albert Einstein, and Nicola Tesla, that the lines of work where we actually DO THINGS, is so looked down upon, that no one is left to actually do it. So what happens? I'll tell you what, the millions that fail to live up to such Godly heights with thier collegiate backgrounds end up with low paying jobs, with thier finally discovered worthless degrees, complain about everything, and purchase low quality goods because they are cheap enough, and save what little they earn in the process, thus wipe out the market for well made goods and services. Look no further than your local plumbing and electrical suppliers to see how true this is.

This country doesn't need some egghead scribbling notes on tissue paper while talking his or her jaw off, nor some uneducated migrant worker operating a shovel all day long. What will make this nation strong again are SMART people WHO CAN DO!

Comment

And not everything Chinese is crap, there's a big difference between Harbor Freight brand crap and Ridgid stuff.

I do agree there is a BIG difference between Harbor Tools and RIDGID,

BUT - RIDGID does make some of its tools in China - For instance, The box on my Micro SeeSnake says "Made in China"...

So I don't really think where its made is a problem,

Even if we all pushed the "trades" again this nation would be better,

The whole "get a college degree" and then to walk out of school with 160k in debt and still not have any real world experience is what the problem is.

You got guys basically paying their way to the top at this point, that's how this whole mess started......THE MBA(Masters of Business) .........Ever notice how NOW you need a MBA to run even the smallest corp.......

Come on, Back in the day, you would learn from experience and then earn your way to the top.

Now its all about a financial loan and a peace of paper.....

GEE - I wonder who invented the "Toxic Asset"

That sure was not a BLUE COLLAR term...

PROBLEM: Too many Chiefs NOT Enough Indians

Comment

The whole "get a college degree" and then to walk out of school with 160k in debt and still not have any real world experience is what the problem is.
                        Thankfully, if you live in NYS that isn't a problem. If you have reasonable grades you can get into one of the four SUNY Universities. With tuition of only $6,488 a year; anyone who is willing to work hard can afford a college education. I would argue that if you are college material, you should be able to earn $540 a month to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Thankfully, if you live in NYS that isn't a problem. If you have reasonable grades you can get into one of the four SUNY Universities. With tuition of only $6,488 a year; anyone who is willing to work hard can afford a college education. I would argue that if you are college material, you should be able to earn $540 a month to pay for it.
                          This is VERY true, on the surface BUT not in reality,

Today's reality or "job market" is FULL of people from schools all over,

Employers generally select or hire someone from a nicer school then a state school. Its sad but very true.

Then again, With today's 9.7% unemployment rate finding a job is hard no matter what school you go to.

I will tell ya one thing though.

While we all argue about health care, bailouts etc, There is BILLIONS of gallons of water being wasted from leaky faucets toilets alone that leak etc and not enough plumbers to get it all done.

When we run out of water in ten years I hope we can wave a magic wand..........

Comment

All things being equal, the better educated a person is, the better their chances are of finding work.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Oppps

My bad - I had no idea that car was made in the USA

Sorry Frankiarmz

See I learned something new again today ;=)
                              No problem, no apology necessary. I would like to buy American but when it comes to cars of that age, I'm not stupid! My wife drives a 1998 Ford Windstar that has half the mileage of my car but was designed to fall apart in my opinion. We spent over $750.00 to repair several problems in an attempt to get the "service engine" light to go out, no luck. One of the cylinders is bad, and I've faithfully changed oil and filters. Our 1998 Saturn leaks rain water through the door seals and trunk, jumps out of park and sounds like it's dying. I know the higher end American cars had better build quality and design, I'm just going by what we could afford at the time. The Maxima does not burn or leak a drop of oil, I've put over 150,000 miles on the original clutch! The car is amazing and I don't credit the folks who assembled it although they did a fine job. I thank the people who designed this car. I'd like to know what the American auto engineers were smoking or drinking when they came up with some of their beauties? I guess if I had to choose some other country to build the car I bought it would be Canada and then our fine neighbor to the south. I really wish we would stop growing communist china and say it's part of the global economy. That country is everything we despise, yet we are in debt to them and buy most of our consumer goods from them, makes no sense cheap labor or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                All things being equal, the better educated a person is, the better their chances are of finding work.

Mark

Very True, But

The k - 12 school system used to give a person a chance with out college, not any longer.

Now the University's started cashing in on our retirements..........

Comment

Working...
                                X