Only 1.9 million?
    I thought they employed more.
    Sorry - 1.9 million in the USA

I am not sure about globally

Comment

Re: Would You Use A Walmart Will Call?

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
      Yes I certainly would.

This world is running out of water, and the way I see it is, its better to have a low cost faucet installed then one that is leaking water drown the drain.

The Torch is fine as well. Just because its not over priced doesn't mean its going to sweat copper any worse.
      But wouldn't most faucet's install with a basin wrench and a pair of pliers?

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        But wouldn't most faucet's install with a basin wrench and a pair of pliers?

I was just saying that I would use that faucet and that torch, because I see nothing wrong with them as a product,

You are correct, most of the time its just a matter of removing the two basin nuts and the faucet lock rings and then pulling out the old faucet, sliding in the new faucet, tightening the faucet nuts and then re-tightening the water supplies. Of course you would need to turn the water off before hand

In some cases you might need to replace and angle stop water supply valve or something, so you could need a torch.

The pictures of me holding the faucet and the torch together was just supposed to demonstrate the diversity of Walmarts plumbing isle,

Comment

I was just saying that I would use that faucet and that torch, because I see nothing wrong with them as a product,

You are correct, most of the time its just a matter of removing the two basin nuts and the faucet lock rings and then pulling out the old faucet, sliding in the new faucet, tightening the faucet nuts and then re-tightening the water supplies. Of course you would need to turn the water off before hand

In some cases you might need to replace and angle stop water supply valve or something, so you could need a torch.

The pictures of me holding the faucet and the torch together was just supposed to demonstrate the diversity of Walmarts plumbing isle,

I've heard you preach in the past about quality product and quality tools, you have to take a side, you can't have it both ways. What kind of deals do you get at Pic & Save?
          The Other Rick

Comment

Sorry - 1.9 million in the USA

I am not sure about globally
            Well, it seems you don't get it. Perhaps my post was a little too subtle.

Here are some numbers for the Walmart fans:

the total U.S. trade deficit with China reached $235 billion in 2006. Between 2001 and 2006, this growing deficit eliminated 1.8 million U.S. jobs (Scott 2007). The world’s biggest retailer, U.S.-based Wal-Mart was responsible for $27 billion in U.S. imports from China in 2006 and 11% of the growth of the total U.S. trade deficit with China between 2001 and 2006. Wal-Mart’s trade deficit with China alone eliminated nearly 200,000 U.S. jobs in this period. (source)

Get it now?

What was wrong with the US and the 1950's-1070's before the likes of Walmart really took over? It was a prosperous, powerful and even popular country. That's gone. Americans are in debt up to their eye balls and the US treasury owes money to most developped countries and that includes communist China.

Walmart may be good for you in the short term, but that faucet may eventually cost you much more than you paid for it. Walmart is bad for the US economy and it's already biting the US in its collective behind. In short - you're cutting the branch you're sitting on.

They do have a really smart business model and pass Tons of savings to the local business.
            Of course the savings are realized by the local business Walmart hasn't eliminated. Yet.
            In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
              Well, it seems you don't get it. Perhaps my post was a little too subtle.
              Wal-Mart’s trade deficit with China alone eliminated nearly 200,000 U.S. jobs in this period. (source)

Get it now?
              Actually no, In fact Walmart creates 30,000 good paying jobs a year. That's a fact and you can look that up.....

Originally posted by darius View Post
              What was wrong with the US and the 1950's-1070's before the likes of Walmart really took over? It was a prosperous, powerful and even popular country. That's gone. Americans are in debt up to their eye balls and the US treasury owes money to most developped countries and that includes communist China..

OK - That's really silly as well.

Wamart doesn't raise taxes .

I think NHMASTER can explain what happened with the debt, I doubt Walmart created debt, In fact Walmart saves me money every week.

My local grocery store is double the price on many of the same items.

Here is that post from NHmaster which explains why no one has money,

Actually one is a poem, and the other is a post

Please notice that "walmart" is not mentioned in the billions of wasted tax dollars.

Please remember that "Walmart" pays billions of these same dollars that are being wasted......

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              WHY ARE WE BANKRUPT

Posted by Don Lavetter on January 10, 2009 at 8:09am in General FairTax Topics

WHY ARE WE BANKRUPT?

Informative, and mind boggling! You think the war in Iraq is costing us too much? Read this:

1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year by state governments.
              Verify at: http://tinyurl.com/zob77

2. $2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens.
              Verify at: http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html

3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.
              Verify at : http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/fiscalexec.html

4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education for children here illegally and they cannot speak a word of English!
              Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../01/ldt.0.html

5. $17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies.
              Verify at http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...01/ldt.01.html

6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.
              Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...01/ldt.01.html

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.

8. $90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for Welfare & social services by the American taxpayers.
              Verify at: http://premium.cnn.com/TRANSCIPTS/0610/29/ldt.01.html

9. $200 Billion dollars a year in suppressed American wages are caused by the illegal aliens.

10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime rate that's two and a half times that of white non-illegal aliens. In particular, their children, are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the US .
              Verify at: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...12/ldt.01.html

11. During the year of 2005 there were 4 to 10 M ILLION illegal aliens that crossed our Southern Border also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, cocaine, meth, heroin and marijuana, crossed into the U. S from the Southern border.
              Verify at: Homeland Security Report: http://tinyurl.com/t9sht

12. The National policy Institute, estimated that the total cost of mass deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period.'
              Verify at: http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute.o...eportation.pdf

13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances to their countries of origin.
              Verify at: http://www.rense.com/general75/niht.htm >

14. 'The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One million sex crimes Committed by Illegal Immigrants In The United States ..'
              Verify at: http: // www.drdsk.com/articleshtml
              The total cost is a whopping $ 338.3 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR.

http://fairtaxnation.ning.com/forum/...007Comment5546
              * Those who refuse to play that game - ENVIED AND HATED BY THE OTHER TWO.

Then the poem of course:

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Plagiarized from another site without permission

In God We Trust
              At first I thought this was funny...then I realized the awful truth
              of it. Be sure to read all the way to the end! Just amazing

Tax his land,
              Tax his bed,
              Tax the table
              At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
              Tax his mule,
              Teach him taxes
              Are the rule.

Tax his work,
              Tax his pay,
              He works for peanuts
              Anyway!

Tax his cow,
              Tax his goat,
              Tax his pants,
              Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
              Tax his shirt,
              Tax his work,
              Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
              Tax his drink,
              Tax him if he
              Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
              Tax his beers,
              If he cries
              Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
              Tax his gas,
              Find other ways
              To tax his a$&.

Tax all he has
              Then let him know
              That you won't be done
              Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers,
              Then tax him more,
              Tax him till
              He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
              Tax his grave,
              Tax the sod in
              Which he's laid.

Put these words
              upon his tomb,
              ' Taxes drove me to my doom...'
              When he's gone,
              Do not relax,
              It's time to apply
              The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
              Building Permit Tax
              CD L license Tax
              Cigarette Tax
              Corporate Income Tax
              Dog License Tax
              Excise Taxes
              Federal Income Tax
              Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
              Fishing License Tax
              Food License Tax
              Fuel Permit Tax
              Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
              Gross Receipts Tax
              Hunting License Tax
              Inheritance Tax
              Inventory Tax
              IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
              Liquor Tax
              Luxury Taxes
              Marriage License Tax
              Medicare Tax
              Personal Property Tax
              Privilege Tax
              Property Tax
              Real Estate Tax
              Service Charge Tax
              Social Security Tax
              Road Usage Tax
              Sales Tax
              Recreational Vehicle Tax
              School Tax
              State Income Tax
              State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
              Telephone Federal Excise Tax
              Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
              Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
              Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
              Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
              Telephone State and Local Tax
              Telephone Usage Charge Tax
              Use Tax
              Utility Taxes
              Vehicle License Registration Tax
              Vehicle Sales Tax
              Watercraft Registration Tax
              Well Permit Tax
              Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our
              nation was the most prosperous in the world.
              We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest
              middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.
              What in the hell happened? Can you spell 'politicians!'
              And I still have to 'press 1' for English!?!?!?!?
              I hope this goes around THE USA at least 100
              times!!!!! YOU can help it get there!!!!
              GO AHEAD - - - BE AN AMERICAN !

Comment

I saw a link in that quote from NHMaster to the fairtax.

I'd encourage any of you that aren't familiar with it to research it.

and also, Sign me up for that ****. I'd much rather pay based off my spending habits than my earning potential.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                  I Just HATE walmart. I am sadly buying a few paper products from them.I hate myself for doing that. To me Walmart is evil, and not good for America

They are not evil. They are smart business people. Target is evil they age discriminate in hiring and won't start anyone full time so they not offer benefits.

Comment

Actually no, In fact Walmart creates 30,000 good paying jobs a year. That's a fact and you can look that up.....
                    First, I showed respect to all, including you and I looked things up and posted a reputable source. You didn't. Just because you say so, doesn't make i so. Show me the sources.

Second, of course Walmart creates jobs. After ll they are expanding.

Third, are they really well paying jobs?

Check it out here. The guy desrcibed in the article makes $11.15/hr. (I made $0.85 more when I first landed in the US 22 years ago). If that's a full time job (40hrs a week) this brings it to around $23K a year which is barely above poverty guidelines for a 3 person family. You can check that here.

For every job created by Walmart there is a loss of 1.4 jobs in other retail. Check this here. And that's only retail jobs lost because of Walmart.

More jobs are lost in other industries as Walmart's purchasing policies shift manufacturing abroad, mostly to China. Of every $100 spent at a Walmart only $14 stays in the local economy. Confirm this here.

OK - That's really silly as well.

Wamart doesn't raise taxes .

I think NHMASTER can explain what happened with the debt, I doubt Walmart created debt, In fact Walmart saves me money every week.
                    What does it have to do with anything. Taxes have been there before anybody heard about Walmart. Now that Walmart eliminates good jobs, where do you think the tax money will come from?

The national and local infrastructure has to be maintained. As more people loose jobs, those who stay employed (sometimes at reduced rates) have to pick up the tax burden, so of course taxes will go up. Some of the tax revenue will go to... yes, to Walmart. They do apply for local government subsidies. Guess where that money comes from?

That faucet and the toilet plunger, or whatever your killing at Walmart is yet another few dollars for communist China, and a few dollars less for your local economy. I think you see the trees but not the forest.
                    Last edited by darius; 09-27-2009, 10:35 AM.
                    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

The big problem with Walmart is that they only carry what they want to, and they will change in a moments notice, and about the time you think they will provide a product you want they will change brands or drop the items you desire, and like most discount store there is never any extra stock in the back, when it is sold out it is out until they so desire to restock it, and you better buy all you want at the setting as next stop there is no guarantee that it will be there next time, or the next day. they may just box it all up and sent out to another store,
                      Last edited by BHD; 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Walmarts almost as cool as my 2000 Passat.
                        Last edited by stokefire7; 09-27-2009, 10:59 AM. Reason: stuff

Comment

when i moved to my present location 16 years ago. walmart bearly opened. imagine every department to tenth degree in walmart. there are at least say 30 or more for sake of argument.
                          now imagine all those as seperate stores even several of them. toy stores, etc. that is what we had here on main st. now it's like a ghost town on main st. and businesses move in and a few months latter move out. there trying to be there own boss. and make a living.
                          now you either shop at walmart or drive 30 miles to the next town.
                          walmart on the other hand has pretty high turn over. i have done calls on there employees and believe me they are not living the average life.
                          we now live in what is called the walmart society. were everything is based on how cheap it is, regardless of quality. it's sad but that is the way i even think at times. as i can grasp all the tools i need for the drain business buy Ridged quality but a camera is still one of those things that as i look and know that a Ridged is the best but have a hard time swallowing the price tag. I.E. the monitors and recorders. i keep looking at other options south coast in so. cal, easy cam etc.
                          so yes even i am caught up in the cheaper stuff at times. it is hard at times to justify the higher cost untill you have to replace it several times. i just don't want to make any mastakes!
                          Last edited by Jerad; 09-27-2009, 11:28 AM.
                          the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Coming in from a bit of a different perspective -

While I think Wal-Mart is the $2 whore of the economy, in both Canada and the U.S., I do shop there. There are certain things there that just simply make good financial sense to buy from there, same as with many other big box stores, Home Depot included. I too much rather prefer to buy most trade items at a valued and trusted private supply house - I buy any needed solder and gaskets, etc., at my local plumbing supply house, rather than from the Home Depot. I buy my printing and other computer accessories from a small local business store, rather than from Wal-Mart or Future Shop or Staples. But the inate problem is that these larger "big box" chains have become so prevalent and so powerful, that the smaller stores are going, and have gone, the way of the Dodo birds. If I'm able to get something at my supply shops, I do get it there. That said, I also will not allow my wallet to be raped by purchasing the same item at these stores that I can get at a big box, for a huge upcharge in price - I don't mind a few percentage points of difference, it is worth it. Example being, if I want to buy a doorhandle set, and it's $49 at HD, but $54 at my contractor's supply house, I'll get it at the private shop. But I'm not paying double the price either. There are obvious exceptions to that rule, as there are many faucet sets that are twice the price at our plumbing shop versus HD, but the ones at HD use crappier plastic valve components, rather than brass. However, the problem I think is that more and more items are becoming available at these stores that some people just should not be able to buy or rent without adequate training, expertise, intellect, etc. But, that gets down to a regulation issue, and varies depending on how much more we wish to have government intrude upon what we're doing. For certain safety things, I might agree, but there is a fine line there.

Comment

Working...
                            X