The nature and depth of boredom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nature and depth of boredom

gentelman and ladies. i am bored. same old same old same old. please tell me something new. i can;t take this anymore. anything, i don't care i just can;t take the boredom.

maybe i should get a job?
    http://www.blackbookoftools.com
    http://www.gronim.com

Re: The nature and depth of boredom

You are not alone, any routine life can become boring. I retired nine years ago at an early age but totally unprepared emotionally. Days filled with rewarding physical work and social interaction with some interesting guys have been replaced with a very quiet life. I force myself to exercise almost everyday, there are many places available nowadays and I believe we are social creatures so it's good to be around other people. Visiting the library, joining clubs, volunteering can all occupy your time and offer a change from your current routine. I remember working weeks without a day off and that was very boring as well, change is necessary. Do you have any interest in hobbies, learning a skill, instrument? Take a class through a high school or college adult education course.

Comment

excercise is out. i am against that. i also don;t like to go north of 14th street in manhattan. i like going to my steam bath spa but they don;t seem to have one of those at "work". work. a serious contributor to my boredom. maybe i should have a blog.

i do play guitar and am doing an anthropological study of some people in brooklyn.

maybe i should drink espresso.

Comment

when i get bored, i go to my "office" and open up the black book of tools and do some serious reading.

unfortunately the black book is looking more like the brown book

you know it's good reading when the pages get sticky

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          when i get bored, i go to my "office" and open up the black book of tools and do some serious reading.

unfortunately the black book is looking more like the brown book

you know it's good reading when the pages get sticky

rick.
          the new black book was mailed last week. vol 23. maybe my last one.

Comment

i hope you sent me the teflon coated pages

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Bored?

I am very rarely bored, just too many things in life to take interest in. Perhaps you need a hobby or just a change of pace and scenery.

When I was working, there was little time to reflect on the situation or to socialize beyond short conversations. Always deadlines, constraints, too little time, too little resources, and too much demand.

While I miss some of that challenge, I much prefer to admire my surroundings, work on home projects, grab so time on the forum, catch up on old illustration challenges and reflect on my time and history and people I know and perhaps want to catch up with again. For me, taking a walk, working in the shop or on the house, getting on the shortwave, working on the car, admiring the local scenery, catching up with an old friend, going to the local art shop or museum, or just plain imagining what I want to do next.

Catch up on your reading or other things you enjoy. If you haven't tried it, take up painting like watercolor or other media, try something new, or just sit down and start writing. Take that guitar and try a new style or learn a piece of music. And, take a walk... not so much for the exercise, but for the scenery and just a change of environment.

I've got a grandson who at 13 is too often saying, "I'm bored!". Well its a great big world out there, and while I admit that physical and ecomical situations are large restraints, your imagination and ambition can be almost limitless if you desire to take up pursuit.

Boredom is hard to cure for some as you don't know what they love, what they are capable of, or what they imagine. Perhaps boredom is because they don't know the answer to those same questions.

CWS

Comment

If you're bored, it means you're boring.
                (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Bored?

I am very rarely bored, just too many things in life to take interest in. Perhaps you need a hobby or just a change of pace and scenery.

When I was working, there was little time to reflect on the situation or to socialize beyond short conversations. Always deadlines, constraints, too little time, too little resources, and too much demand.

While I miss some of that challenge, I much prefer to admire my surroundings, work on home projects, grab so time on the forum, catch up on old illustration challenges and reflect on my time and history and people I know and perhaps want to catch up with again. For me, taking a walk, working in the shop or on the house, getting on the shortwave, working on the car, admiring the local scenery, catching up with an old friend, going to the local art shop or museum, or just plain imagining what I want to do next.

Catch up on your reading or other things you enjoy. If you haven't tried it, take up painting like watercolor or other media, try something new, or just sit down and start writing. Take that guitar and try a new style or learn a piece of music. And, take a walk... not so much for the exercise, but for the scenery and just a change of environment.

I've got a grandson who at 13 is too often saying, "I'm bored!". Well its a great big world out there, and while I admit that physical and ecomical situations are large restraints, your imagination and ambition can be almost limitless if you desire to take up pursuit.

Boredom is hard to cure for some as you don't know what they love, what they are capable of, or what they imagine. Perhaps boredom is because they don't know the answer to those same questions.

CWS
                  Very good post, you hit on many key points that make up or resolve boredom. True that physical and monetary restraints prevent some activities, but certainly not all. I think it's a matter of being open to try new things and explore the possibilities so you know what's out there. Probably the worst thing that happens when we are bored is the opportunity for depression to follow, we need stimulation. I mentioned exercise because it stimulates the body, but also benefits the mind. My Dad was dead set against exercise, saying that he worked hard and that was his exercise but we know better nowadays. I didn't go to the gym today so I hit a heavy bag in my garage for a while and chopped some wood, I can't sit at this computer and watch tv all day and expect to remain cheerful and healthy! Get moving people!!!

Comment

I've always been able to keep myself entertained at work, but that is because each day brings a new puzzle and challenge. Sometimes it gets monotonous for a couple of weeks (just boring tasks that sometimes catch up with you), but I'm lucky in that it doesn't last based on the kind of work I do.

I did have two jobs though where I ended up working too hard, and didn't get bored but got really stressed out and eventually quit.

I think it really takes a good balance, some time doing something you like (riding a bike, home improvement, playing with your kids), and also some time doing absolutely nothing of value (for me this is watching TV to decompress).

Even just taking a walk with a friend for a while and discussing the burning issues of teh day may not be terribly exciting, but it certainly isn't boring.

Comment

How about volunteer, every winter when things slow down a bit and I find myself getting a little stir crazy indoors I go help out with serving food at the local mission. Helping others out makes feel good about myself and keeps me busy. Just a suggestion.

You seem to know tools, how about woodworking. I find making things from raw materials and giving or selling them or even making my house look nice with good furniture is rewarding.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

dgronim
                          You live in the greatest city in the world, with more cultural amenities than any other two cities combined (not counting Paris, Rome and London). Every time I go to the Big Apple, I lose myself in activity. And, there's always something else to do. Which is why I can't wait to get back. You might try venturing north of 14th St. Take a ride on the No 1 train. Ride the ferry to Staten Island. A boat trip up the Hudson. The UN. Statue of Liberty. Ellis Island. Empire State Bldg, Chrysler Bldg, Rockefeller Center. Wall Street. Columbia U. Grand Central. I could go on and on and on.

Comment

If there was one thing that I regret, it would be not moving to NYC when I was younger and freer.

Next spring, I'm taking a week vacation there...again.
                            (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

What do you do with this thing called life ?

Comment

Working...
                              X