Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women entering the construction industry...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women entering the construction industry...

Over the last five years, I seem to have noticed an increase of those of the fairer gender seem to take up work that's dominated by men, a trend though usually due to physical requirements. I have seen female siders, drywall plasters ("Mud" and tape), plumbers, and even as laborers operating tools such as Hitachi hammer drills through curbing.

Rosie the Riviter would be proud. Anyone else seen anything similar?

Re: Women entering the construction industry...

when i was in apprenticeship school, we had 2 females in my class. i believe 1 made it through the 4 years and 1 didn't.

over the 15 years of new construction, i had 1 female setting finish and 1 on ruff.

until it becomes more of a common, for women in the trade/ new construction, it will always be a distraction. not necessarily with coworkers, but with other trades on the job.

i have had a couple female inspectors too. seems hard to debate a call

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

When I lived in NYC about 20 years ago I was running a little construction joint. One of the contracts was in a not so hospitable area. A long story short, I had to hire two "locals" at union wages. Pricey.

One of the persons who showed up for work was a Latino girl who was to be a mason's helper. A very pretty specimen, but I had my doubts whether she would have been able to handle the tough work. She shocked everybody by her physical strength. She would grab 90% 12" cinder blocks, one in each hand an put them onto the scaffold about a foot above her head. She'd do it all day with hardly a sign of exhaustion.
      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

We had a couple women pass the climbing school and become "Linemen", but it was in name only. Some construction work is too demanding for a lot of guys and while the exceptional woman might be able to hang in there for a while, long term I believe women will suffer painful disabilities for the effort. I'm not talking about light construction, but the heavy stuff. How many women do you think can swing a sixteen pound sledge hammer, or carry a ninety pound piece of equipment in each hand? I know there are strong women, but without that testosterone and upper body musculature some jobs are completely inappropriate for women, and a lot of guys.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          until it becomes more of a common, for women in the trade/ new construction, it will always be a distraction. not necessarily with coworkers, but with other trades on the job.

I'm sure there is some truth to that, but I've worked along side with women electricians on jobs, and it was never a distraction for anyone (and it very easily could have been ).

I hired a plumber out of the hall in a different local for 1 nights work. cut and break concrete, underground and pour back.

A young, blonde haired nice lookin' gal shows up. I was a little suprised and I think she picked up on it cuz she said something like "if I can't do something you ask, I'll work all night for free."

She worked out fine, and after the novelty wore off, it was no big deal.

Comment

It all depends if

they wear tight fitting jeans

are well developed and dress intentionally

wear lipstick

have long hair

smile when spoken to

bend over to pick to pick up tools

share their lunch with you

spend time with you in the job trailer

leaves their hubby for you!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              *Snip*
              You laugh, however I remember one job I was on where these two girls were doing the drywall mudding and taping for a small office building. My God these two women were stripper material. Anyway, one day, we pull up in the van one morning to work on the fire alarm system, and we see the carpenter come marching out shaking his head. s I stepped out of the van, he chimes in a, "That doesn't doesn't belong on a job site."

Course my employer, being the "horn-dog" he is, flirted with them constantly, and they were loving it. And yes, they did drop thier tools a couple of time. If I remember correctly, one of them did have a "tramp stamp of approval". Also, one thing about them was the fact they kept getting plaster inside our switch and outlet boxes and end up hardening overnight, but we always forgave them.

Comment

We all know plumbing is a hard brutal proffession and by the time your forty you have a stuffed every part of your body, women are just not made for a life time of plumbing their are a vary few where I live, I feel they use plumbing as a stepping stone to other proffesssions which disadvantages the male who will stay in plumbing for life.

Tony

Comment

I love it!

The majority of work I do in service plumbing is for women, have no complaints. I've always been able to get along with them whether in the workplace or for them on customer-contractor with no reference to sexual promiscuity.

Women make the world go around and that's a fact Jack!

Who wants to hear about Ted and his wife trouble issues at the supply house when Tara, Cindy and Natasha are sitting there missing bar codes on half the materials out of my home depot shopping cart, talking about what they're doing later that night. Ahhhhhhhhh........!!!!
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                  X