Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally done!! - Josh's waterproofing.

I have been working for what feels like 2 months straight on hand digging and repairing the front basement wall of my house. Well its finally done. I just wanted to show some pics of what I did. There are no digging pictures in here (which was by far the longest part) but I wanted to show how it was finished up.

Once I dug down to the foundation I found that all the bricks that were wet had started to rot away. This stretched for about 70% of the bottom course of the wall (not good)

So I cleaned out the really loose stuff and made sure it was dug in such a way I could sure up the bottom course of bricks. There was no footer. it sat on a muddy stone filled layer below the basement floor.

I did end up pouring the "footer" in pieces to make sure I didnt dig out too much loose stuff and have my house colapse (I actually had dreams about this where I had to go in the basement and make sure everything was OK.

Here's a pic of the new footer (or at least a good wedge under those messed up blocks.

After everything dried up I mixed up some type S quickcrete with a small amount of mortar mix and applied a skim coat on the wall to make it nice and smooth and add some more strength.

After this I applied a layer of the tar (Did this from 11pm to 1am after school one night with Helen's help )

Next I had my uncle bring his Bobcat over to dig up the sump pit. The boys kept asking if they could drive

I hoped in the hole and leveled everthing out, then dropped in a sandstone slab. Then we lowered in the sump pit (24" Thick walled plastic pipe my uncle got somewhere.) Notice the newly laid footer tile running into the pit.

After the sump pit was in it was time to put the gravel in. Since it was under the porche it was gonna be a bit tougher than just dumping it in. The way we got it in was to use an old coal conveyer that we dumped the gravel on which was pushed under to me. (I was paddling through gravel for over 40 minutes... dead tired afterwards)

All that was left was for me to drop the sewage pump in a few days later. Notice the wet back. (note to self... make sure you have the pump unplugged when you lower it into the pit or the float switch will turn it on ) The boys thaught it was hilarious and kept asking me to do it again.

So thats it. A long hard job but i learned a lot. it may not all be optimal but I am confident it will keep the basement dry and the wall is better off than it was before.

Josh
    Attached Files

Re: Finally done!! - Josh's waterproofing.

Good pictures,
    I am surprised, on the TV shows they would have done that in one 30 min episode,
    what took you so long?

It sure feels good to get a project like that completed,

Congratulations,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      Good pictures,
      I am surprised, on the TV shows they would have done that in one 30 min episode,
      what took you so long?

It sure feels good to get a project like that completed,

Congratulations,
      Ya, but the TV shows would have done it with a few gorgeous blondes!
      Good job, Josh.

Comment

Nice work Josh.

BTW, where did you get those shoes that let you stand on the wall?
        And didn't you have a considerable mess when trying to pour uphill??
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Before everyone starts yelling at Josh for lack of shoring, please remember he is barely 3' tall. Oh and those two cute little boys are really 30-year old stunt men they had stand in for the twins.

Mark

BTW: Good job
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Before everyone starts yelling at Josh for lack of shoring, please remember he is barely 3' tall. Oh and those two cute little boys are really 30-year old stunt men they had stand in for the twins.

Mark

BTW: Good job

Except for some spoil being a little too close to the edge (24" minimum) , I think he is OK. The excavation is less than 5 foot deep and it looks like at about 3.5 to 4 feet deep the top of the ditch is opened up (sloped back) at about 45 deg. When excavating along side a foundation if the trench is 24" wide and less than 60" deep (if memory serves and it rarely does) you are OK.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

LOL-I'm only picking on Josh based on past pictures posted of members in trenches.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Disclaimer... the boys were at a safe distance.. it was all perspective

Comment

Did you hand dig all that under the porch, or go to Home depot and buy some "undocumented shovels"?

Good job Josh!
                  I'll bet you're glad your done
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

(lack of shoring/excavated dirt too close to edge of ditch and that kid's green boots will give me nightmares )

Nice job, too. Where is the sump water going to terminate?
                    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

We were looking at that.Josh doesn't have a traditional(at least what I'm used to out here)curb.At first glance we were thinking on to the driveway.Before we could finish it was off to the festivities.

Comment

You're a hard worker Josh. You have My respect.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Dumps off on the front yard which pitches pretty hard toward the road.

All hand dug. It was a bear.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            Dumps off on the front yard which pitches pretty hard toward the road.

All hand dug. It was a bear.

Josh
                            Your a lot tougher than you thought.I personally never had a doubt.

Comment

i don't think anyone of us would have wanted to take on this job.

after seeing first hand what was involved and what josh accomplished is just amazing

josh, if you ever give up your day job, anyone of us would be thrilled to have you ride shotgun

now go get out of your dirty, wet cloths and take a shower in that man-cave of yours

glad to see you got it done before the snow hit.

if you ever leave the snow and cold you know where you can find me, and the rest of the warm blooded guys you'll fit right in with that scar on your head

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X