X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief At the Door

A few months ago one of my acquantances was telling me how he got burned $60,000 out of $100,000 contract.
    We have hundreds of builders/General Contractors around here.
    I was approached by a builder I've known of for about six years.I've known him to do as large as 8,000 square footers,so of course I was eager to get some network going.

Walked the 3hr to complete kitchen remodel,Ice maker,drop 1 piece gas,tear out cast at sink,3hrs

He asked me to run the vent for the Hood
    Major Red Flag!!!!
    Why would a Mansion Builder ask the plumber to do sheet metal contractor's job?
    He also asked if I knew of an electrician.
    Where is his multi-million dollar network?

It was too Obvious.
    I called the Plumber who got burned.
    It was the SAME GUY!!!!

I'm going forward with this $450.00 nothing job just for bragging rights and the opportunity to hear him and see his eyes When I Say the name of the offended.

I'm so thankfull to my God the way I know him and how he takes care of me.
    Adam

Re: Thief At the Door

the way I know him and how he takes care of me.
    Adam[/QUOTE]

$60.000 ?? Rember the SHINING JACK N. ? Thated be tool ,with the axe, comin outa that dudes closet at 2 AM ! HERE'S TOOL
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      I'm going forward with this $450.00 nothing job just for bragging rights and the opportunity to hear him and see his eyes When I Say the name of the offended.

Adam
      You're giving him too much credit. He won't care and he will give you 20 reasons why it was the other guy's fault and how incompetent the other guy is. Wanna bet?
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

contractors are the lowest form of life. Lower than snails and sea slugs, right below bacteria.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          contractors are the lowest form of life. Lower than snails and sea slugs, right below bacteria.
          Ouch,
          Out here most are a good bunch of guys.At least my FEW regulars.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            I beg to differ. If they were all such vermin, I would have gone broke years ago. There are good people on the GC side. You just have to go out and find them. It's trial and error, but worth it when you succeed. Of course, once you've found one, you have to cultivate him/her so they don't go wondering off.
            Finding them is as much art as it is science. When you're new as a plumbing contractor, you have to go out and find work. This is a very dangerous position to be in, because you're not in a position to pick and choose. With time, if you survive, work will come to you. When it does, you must use all you senses to sniff it out, in other words, you have to practice due diligence. By that I mean, you have to listen to the prospective client's answers to a few important questions.
            First one is "Why do you need a new plumber?" If they answer that their old plumber is retiring or moving out of the area, score one point on the plus side. If they answer that they are unhappy with their old plumber, no points scored, but you should follow up with "Why are you unhappy?" Listen very carefully to their answer to this question because it may indicate that they are just price shopping, in which cast, you might as well just thank them for the offer, say that you're just too busy at this time to take on any new work and hang up.
            If they passed the first test with a neutral or positive score, move on to the next question, "Who was your plumber?" If they give an answer, take it done for future reference. If they won't, it's time once again to beg off. While you're at it ask them for the name of their HVAC and electical subs. Take those down as well. Finally, ask them if you can go look at a few of their ongoing projects. If they say no, it's good bye.
            If they have answered all the above questions to your satisfaction, it's time to tell them you will be in touch in a couple of days, thank them for their interest and hang up.
            Now, it's time for due diligence. Call up the named subs and ask their uncensored opinion of this GC. If you get positive feedback, go out to a job or two of theirs and snoop around. You'll know what to look for.
            If the referrals check out and the jobs look presentable, it's time to make a call back and offer to bid their work. At this point I usually explain that my company is more expensive than the average plumbing contractor because we are signatory (union affiliated). If this doesn't scare them off, it's time to grab their prints and work up a price.
            At this point, it's out of your hands. They make the call. But, at least you can fell comfortable that you've done all you can to assure that they are on the up and up.

Another very successful way to corral new GC's is to make a concerted effort, on all your existing jobs, to get along with every body. Recommendations from other sub trades (and other subs know the good ones just as well as we do) are a valuable and inexpensive way to grow your business. Call it networking, if you will. This technique of being the plumber whose not just good at what he does but also a nice guy pays off in another, long term way. Remember that some of the employees of the GC's you work for will someday go out on their own,When that day comes, guess what, they are going to need a plumber. And all things being equal, people will choose to work with people they like 99% of the time.

Pretty simple ideas, eh? But they work. That's why my company is busy as a one armed paper hanger when other people are calling themselves to see if their phone still works.

BTW: I'm off to New England this morning to see my daughter in Hanover. Since New Hampshire's a relative small place, maybe we'll bump into each other, NHM?

Cheers guys,
            Scott

Comment

Working...
            X