X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Hometown

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread where people could put something about the area they grew up in and something about it that it was or is known for when they grew up there.

I grew up not far from Atlantic City, and I found this YT video which pretty much sums up what the area was like in the 50s and 60s.

All the big acts used to play the clubs in AC. Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, Sinatra, Jerry Lewis, etc.

For kids the Steel Pier was the place to go. The piers were the equivalent of an amusement park of today. You paid an single admission fee and got access to most of the pier attractions for the whole day. There were a couple exceptions like the Diving Bell, but with two movie theaters, a couple comedy shows, the water circus and High Diving Horse act, you had plenty to do all day.

When I was young I worked at a restaurant across from the Steel Pier one summer. In the 60s all the rock and roll bands played there. I remember seeing the Beatles and Chicago in AC and many others played there too. Chicago stopped in our place for something to eat and left a $50 tip for the waitress. I bet she never spent that $50 bill judging from the way she reacted that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG6R2V9X3ks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E6ljDp0dh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq0_K...eature=related
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Your Hometown

I grew up in The Bronx, NY home of The Yankees. Movies such as The Wanderers, A bronx Tale, Fort Apache, The Bronx , were somewhat accurate. I lived in apartment buildings with many Jewish families including survivors of the death camps. Watched as The Bronx burned and neighborhoods changed from one group of immigrants to another. Met a giant named Eddie Carmel (8ft 9inches).Worked there another thrity years and commuted to the suburbs, but never lost my affection for the place I grew up.

Comment

I grew up in Bellefontaine, Ohio, population ~11,000 when I was there. The way I always described the location, is that if you look at a map of the US, Bellefontaine is in the middle of the first "O" in Ohio.

It is about 60 miles northwest of Columbus, and a similar distance northeast of Dayton. When I left in 1980, we just got our first fast food joint, a Wendy's. It is a small industry town in the heart of farm country. I left when 5 of the 6 factories closed up during 1979/80, and unemployment in the county was over 20%. Now, Honda is the largest employer, located between Bellefontaine and Marysville. My Dad, father in law, brother in law, brother, and two sisters in law all have worked for Honda or a supporting industry. My brother has a double digit Honda employee number.

It is the highest point in Ohio, at something around 1450 feet. It has the first concrete paved street in America, and arguably the shortest street in the world, at about 20 feet. Back in the early 20th century, it was a major railroad hub.

Notable residents included me , The Mills Brothers (50/60s singers), Norman Vincent Peale, Edward Jones (the investment banker), and Blue Jacket, the Shawnee indian chief. In fact, Bellefontaine was right in the thick of the early indian wars, with many famous leaders on both side having been through or making their names in battle in the area. We used to find arrowheads in the fields when we'd till fairly often.

My mother's paternal side came to the area in 1803 after fighting in the Revolutionary War in Virginia, while her maternal side was already here in the 1700s, having moved up along the Great Miami River over a few generations. My father's maternal side of the family also arrived in the very early 1800s, but his paternal side moved there much later, in 1923. Noobs!

Everyone in my wife's family and mine still lives near there except us.
      Steve
      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I grew up in The Bronx, NY home of The Yankees. Movies such as The Wanderers, A bronx Tale, Fort Apache, The Bronx , were somewhat accurate. I lived in apartment buildings with many Jewish families including survivors of the death camps. Watched as The Bronx burned and neighborhoods changed from one group of immigrants to another. Met a giant named Eddie Carmel (8ft 9inches).Worked there another thrity years and commuted to the suburbs, but never lost my affection for the place I grew up.
        I loved the Wonderers. "Leave da kid alone".

Comment

Independence Kentucky, 1938

The story behind this: (sorry to be tooting my own horn)

I'm friends with a lady I've been doing work for for years. She turned me onto a fellow who needed plumbing work as well.

In discussion, this "tape" was mentioned about an 8mm film that was tossed in the trash at the school years ago, and the local postmaster was a history buff.

He asked if he could have this tape, and oh what a gem it was. This tape has brought tears to many eyes of family members that never saw their grandparents, great grandparents or ancestors from way back when.

I am truly the reason why it is online. I didn't know how to convert it from vhs to digital so I gave to a guy who could, and he's got 10 minutes of an hour online for all to see.

He's never done the full video or made it a fully edited movie, but with some good editing skills could become a great part of history in my town.

This tape would slowly be moved around, but only in the hands of maybe 20 people total. Now that it is on youtube, it's started a life of its own and I'm so glad I was able to enlighten others in their family by reaching back into time to find something they never knew they had.

Great thanks to Xmas West, our independence postmaster of 30 years that never got a chance to see what he saved that day out of the garbage. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HoR3nbc26s
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

That film from 1938 has a lot to offer if we understand how different things were compared to the present day. Sky wasn't full of planes, air was cleaner, streams and oceans too. That Taystee bread didn't contain mono & diglycerides or corn syrup! Kids got outside and moved, no one was sitting around on a cell phone, or playing with an Ipod or other electronic piece of junk. You washed with soap and water, no deodorants, most of the women didn't wear a lot of make up. Life wasn't perfect, but I'll bet it was good. Families probably sat down and had dinner together, uninterrupted by telemarketers. No one was running to "blog" on the Internet.

Comment

Working...
            X