Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Laughing Matter

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: No Laughing Matter

    Originally posted by Billy Bob View Post
    Tell you wut... what's our country coming to? Next thing you know, we're gonna stop our school children from listening to the prez.
    That would be terrible I couldn't imagine the consequences of the President of the US indoctrinating kids with messages like try hard and stay in school.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: No Laughing Matter

      Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      This I can help with! What worked for me after years of trying to get bigger arms was fewer exercises and sets, more weight and continuity. Muscles that are expected to lift heavy weights on a regular basis will grow if given good nutrition and some down time. Eat good food, throw in a protein shake or two in between. Do two or three different exercises for biceps and triceps, three sets a piece. Don't play around with light weights, just wasting time and energy. Doing curls with a 70lb barbell won't get you big arms. Man up and do 100lb even if only a couple reps and work your way down to 90, 80, at least you let your biceps know what they were expected to do! Same with triceps, and do one arm at a time if necessary. Do negatives and resist a weight you can't lift on a positive motion. This strengthens the tendons and builds strength. Like the saying goes, "Lift Heavy or Go HOME!!!".
      I'll try it. I always warm up with back and ab stretches and light (150) bench press, so going heavy on arms straight away should be okay.

      I'm lifting heavy on arms 4 times a week---think that's too often for growth? Dumb bell curls usually top out at 80 lbs/each and the curling bar is usually 100. I don't like the cable for curling heavier weight because the motion feels hinky over 120. Iron all the way!

      "Lift Heavy or Go HOME!!!"--someone should tell Obama that. Hey, does Obama lift?
      Last edited by Drip Trip; 10-23-2009, 08:21 PM.
      (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: No Laughing Matter

        Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
        I'll try it. I always warm up with back and ab stretches and light (150) bench press, so going heavy on arms straight away should be okay.

        I'm lifting heavy on arms 4 times a week---think that's too often for growth? Dumb bell curls usually top out at 80 lbs/each and the curling bar is usually 100. I don't like the cable for curling heavier weight because the motion feels hinky over 120. Iron all the way!

        "Lift Heavy or Go HOME!!!"--someone should tell Obama that. Hey, does Obama lift?
        I'd cut back to twice a week, know it may be hard to do but you got to give them time to grow. I can't imagine doing an 80lb dumbell curl. If you are that strong I'm surprised you don't already have 18" plus arms! Do your curls on a preacher bench to prevent cheating with your back, keep reps under eight and just go heavy. Biceps and triceps are not big muscles and hitting them more than twice a week in my opinion will prevent them from growing. Don't overdo the tricpes either. If you are benching once a week (hope it isn't more!) just do one more dedicated tricep workout and leave them alone to repair and grow. I'm fifty six years old and just keeping them at 17" plus is a tricky job. Remember I'm retired and if you're working hard, those arms are going and going with no break. Very few people grow doing many different exercises and high reps and sets. Have to consider things like your age and sufficient rest. Sorry I wasted so many years doing moderate weight and tons of sets and reps. Remember an occassional (once every two or three weeks) of negative reps, two hands lift and one resists the weight going down. Got to fight it, don't let it just drop.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: No Laughing Matter

          Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
          I'll try it. I always warm up with back and ab stretches and light (150) bench press, so going heavy on arms straight away should be okay.

          I'm lifting heavy on arms 4 times a week---think that's too often for growth? Dumb bell curls usually top out at 80 lbs/each and the curling bar is usually 100. I don't like the cable for curling heavier weight because the motion feels hinky over 120. Iron all the way!

          "Lift Heavy or Go HOME!!!"--someone should tell Obama that. Hey, does Obama lift?
          The point of diminishing returns is when you start to use momentum and your back to help heave that heavy weight, then you end up robbing the good from the muscle group you are working. I always used as heavy as I could with good form, then incorporated drop sets and help from a spotter to really exhaust the muscle.
          I just started up again too! Consistency is the key!

          These topics may seem unrelated, but what I love about lifting weights is the honesty in it. You either lift the weight or you don't. 100 lbs is 100 lbs. Our political system is the exact opposite. What they say is NEVER what they do. No new taxes, I did not have sex with that woman, mission accomplished, change, change, change......the only thing consistent is the BS.

          Eli
          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: No Laughing Matter

            My barbell curls are called the Arnold Curl, which is a bent over standing curl. It uses back and leg muscles like woodenstickers eluded to, but in a controlled way. I try not to cheat, but if I can do 80 with a twist....

            I'm convinced this curl allows better control and more weight. My 80s set is 2-3 reps.

            Frankiarms....I would hate to cut back. I never been convinced that muscles grow during the off days...seems to be a slacker excuse....

            I think every politician should have to lift 3 times a week. They are a buncha girly-men.

            Arnold Curl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawY6rIbJ4A
            (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: No Laughing Matter

              Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
              The point of diminishing returns is when you start to use momentum and your back to help heave that heavy weight, then you end up robbing the good from the muscle group you are working. I always used as heavy as I could with good form, then incorporated drop sets and help from a spotter to really exhaust the muscle.
              I just started up again too! Consistency is the key!

              These topics may seem unrelated, but what I love about lifting weights is the honesty in it. You either lift the weight or you don't. 100 lbs is 100 lbs. Our political system is the exact opposite. What they say is NEVER what they do. No new taxes, I did not have sex with that woman, mission accomplished, change, change, change......the only thing consistent is the BS.

              Eli
              An occassional cheat with a barbell is similar in theory to a negative, overload the muscle and tendons, use it sparringly You must be consistant if the muscle is to retain growth.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: No Laughing Matter

                Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                My barbell curls are called the Arnold Curl, which is a bent over standing curl. It uses back and leg muscles like woodenstickers eluded to, but in a controlled way. I try not to cheat, but if I can do 80 with a twist....

                I'm convinced this curl allows better control and more weight. My 80s set is 2-3 reps.

                Frankiarms....I would hate to cut back. I never been convinced that muscles grow during the off days...seems to be a slacker excuse....

                I think every politician should have to lift 3 times a week. They are a buncha girly-men.

                Arnold Curl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawY6rIbJ4A
                Trust me on this, Arnold used this as a shaping movement, not for growth.
                You are able to lift 80lbs because your pec muscle and some momentum is coming into play. Stick with a preacher bench and force the biceps to show it's true colors. If you have a training partner, once in a while have him apply some pressure to the bar on the way down as you resist. Do this at the end of your sets instead of forced reps with a lighter weight you will be doing negative with a heavier weight! Muscles do grow on the off dayS, the bicep is a tiny muscle, you keep beating it up and it can't grow. You have to convince it that it needs to meet the demand of a heavier weight load, not more endurance. Look at distance runners, steady pace and long hauls result in thin stringy muscles. Look at a sprinter, explosive, intense bursts all out for very short intervals and muscles like a race horse. Don't forget the triceps, they make up two thirds of the upper arm. Don't do a lot of rope press downs either, too much pec helping. Kick backs, skull crushers, single arm reverse pull down (palm up). Less often will get you more. Two months and change exercises so you don't get stale. Muscles adapt, have to keep them guessing.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: No Laughing Matter

                  Isolation. The bench he is using is called a spider bench, similar to a preacher bench. You want to lift heavy and target the bicep, without getting ego into the mix. That means if when you isloate the biceps and you can only do a thirty pound dumbell, you don't sign off and go back to an exercsie that allows you to use a heavier weight. Decide what you want, a massive arm, or an ego trip and poor results?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZg6T...eature=related

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: No Laughing Matter

                    Alright, I'll try the isolation and rest routines and lift heavy when there are girls watching...

                    Thanks.

                    Why do the soundtracks to these vids sound like 70s porno films?
                    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X