Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using school to kick the can down the road.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using school to kick the can down the road.

i never went to college

so now i make dirty movies

thanks ridgid

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
      You are not one of the people I am talking about, sir. In fact I often think about you personally when I consider the merits of school and programs to fund it. I have a ton of respect for you. I am not of the opinion that MOST students are wastes of money, but many, many are. I know many of them and I am sure you do too. Either because they are doing nothing with their degrees or were only enrolled to get a free extra adolescence and party through their twenties. I am not even against education for educations sake, but that should be strictly a privilege that one pays for on their own if they are lucky enough to afford it. I plan to look into that myself one day!
      I think the biggest problem with some of the people who coast through is they don't have enough skin in the game. The best thing you can do to make college accessible is make it affordable in the first place. I went to a state school (SUNY Stony Brook), and the tuition was $3400/year. Anyone who can get a degree should be able to get a job to cover that; if you can't, the degree probably isn't for. There were lots of time that you would see people on campus protesting budget cuts etc. to need based programs that were paying for them to be there or just straight up tuition increases. That really annoyed me, because I was paying taxes and getting merit scholarships to pay for school. I also always had a job and took about 120 credits over the course of 6 semesters.

The kind of opposite end of the spectrum from people who just leach off the government or parents are the people who end up $200,000 in debt to get a degree. I think that is also pretty foolish, and don't have much (any) sympathy for them given that there are less expensive alternatives.

I think the biggest single thing of value to an employer who is looking for the degree is that it shows you have at least some level of follow-through. You had to make a plan and stick with it for about four years to get through. A Ph.D. is just a more involved example of that test, that instead of sticking with random disconnected things for 4 months at a time you can stick with one topic for ~3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        Likewise if foriegn workers were imported, the company would be taxed for that worker, and in addition, said foriegn worker must be covered with the same medical, vacation, holiday benefits, and wages or the domestic worker. In other words, there would be no profiteering off the backs of the worker and no domestic worker would be replaced "because the foriegner is cheaper".
        If someone is actually an employee of a large company in the U.S., it doesn't matter where they are from the benefits are always the same for all the employees (there can be differentiation on date of higher). When a foreigner is cheaper, it is because they are willing to take a lower wage.

To get around that companies just use contractors, but even if the contractor is American, they'll get no real benefits.

Comment

I would imagine an American contractor working here in the USA for either an American or foreign company would be of greater benefit to our economy because he or she would be spending their money in our economy. Foreign workers who are here have to pay rent and buy food, but their expenses and investment in our economy is far less. I'm not looking at this from a business standpoint, but rather what benefits all of us on a whole.
          I still think it was short sighted on the part of big business to think they could keep draining our economy of jobs and move them to places where workers can afford to work far cheaper. In a quest for greater profit margins, they destroyed their consumer base. Unless those foreign workers earn salaries equal to Americans they can't possibly afford to purchase the goods they are making, (cars, electronics, etc.). Our economy has reached a point through the loss of jobs and wall street thievery, that consumers either cannot or will not spend as they did in the past. Given our trillion dollar plus trade deficit I would say the world is still ahead. I believe a correction will take place and either our standard of living will sharply decrease, or the rest of the world will have to readjust to the loss of American consumer dollars.

Comment

I like steak. Mmmmmmm.

Comment

Well I went to welding school full time. I paid some ,most was tax payer supported.
              I was a union Pile Buck, on Workers Comp. Instead on hanging home with a new rotator cuff
              operation. [ Fell on job ] right shoulder. I am left handed. Sling on right,welded with left.
              Went back to work with x ray cert. papers. Off to weld allum in shop today for a project.
              Same surgeon is now My friend. We have His home to build in spring. thank's taxpayers
              for helping trade schools! Money well spent. PS How's Your shoulder coming,Mark ?
              Last edited by toolaholic; 10-28-2009, 11:30 AM. Reason: add on
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

But to a solution... IF I WERE KING...
                If everything that follows is your official campaign statement then I would vote for you
                In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Working...
                X