X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama declares H1N1 emergency

Got the flu. I was out of work for a total of 4 days, and went to work a couple days when I probably shouldn't have. It's a new job, so I didn't have the sick time days in the bank yet. Fortunately, the military folks I work with already had their shots so I didn't spread it around. They pretty much agreed I should take the time off and get well! My Dr. wasn't real pleased I went to work though. As far as flu goes, it wasn't real horrible for me. The 4 days home were spent on the couch sleeping mostly. That's about all I could do as standing up brought on bouts of vertigo and nausea. I ended up with a strep throat at the end and managed to treat that with antibiotics.

As long as I stayed away from kids and elderly folks, I don't think I spread it to anyone. I was careful with everything I touched like doorknobs and such. I washed my hands often and surfaces even more often. Remember, antibiotics can't kill virus germs. The remedy is GOOD hand washing with soap and water and watch what you touch. Keep surfaces clean with soap and water.

Even my husband didn't get it from me, so I must've been doing something right. The last part of it now is I have to steam-clean the couch!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I think it comes down to whether or not we trust healthcare officials. I do, so I take whatever precaution I can such as flu shots.

Comment

Just took my son to the hospital, sudden 103 temp and coughing, doctor said it was H1N1. He gave him Tamiflu and told us to call our doctor to get us started on it.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8334723.stm

Comment

Estimated World Population- 6,794,266,205

Estimated H1N1 Cases- 440,000

Estimated Deaths From H1N1- 5700

I want all to be well but it still seems news media hyped to me. No?

J.C.

Comment

There will be another report on H1N1 vaccine tonight on 60 minutes for anyone interested.

J.C.

Comment

Sure, the media makes it a story. But by keeping the issue in front of the public, people will be taking more precautions than they likely would. Out of sight, out of mind. They'll let their guard down, get sloppy, not cover their coughs and so on.

Of course the flip side is the media could just bury the story. If the H1N1 does mutate into a far more dangerous strain, they and everyone responsible for the information overload we are experiencing these days will be accused of some vast conspiracy.

So the question is, do you err on the side of caution, being aware that the H1N1 virus has the rare distinction of jumping species and could turn real nasty, real quick. Or do you ignore the potential?
                Last edited by SpiffPeters; 11-02-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                  Sure, the media makes it a story. But by keeping the issue in front of the public, people will be taking more precautions than they likely would. They'll let their guard down, get sloppy, not cover their coughs and so on.

Of course the flip side is the media could just bury the story. Of course then if the H1N1 does morph into a far more dangerous strain they and everyone else be accused of some vast conspiracy.

So the question is, do you err on the side of caution, being aware that the H1N1 virus has the rare distinction of jumping species and could turn real nasty, real quick. Or do you ignore the potential?
                  Always favor safety of course.

I just am curious is this flu anymore dangerous than ones of the last 20 years with given medical advancements and procedures during this time period.

Fatality rate of other flu strains in the recent past?

Is H1N1 this dangerous or just more "fear" stories in the news?

According to that UK story the current death rate is 1.3% if I calculated correctly. I don't want ANYONE to suffer or die prematurely. But that is a 98.7% rate of survival. How does that compare to other easily contagious diseases? Wondering....

J.C.

Comment

The report I read says more lives will be lost to the regular flu than the H1N1.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

H1N1 is a unique exception to the general rules of influenza. This strain has demonstrated the unique and exceptionally rare ability to mutate and jump species. As it exists currently, its target is predominantly young people. Of course persons with a compromised immune system are also susceptible. Normally, young hosts are less impacted by influenza.

If the H1N1 does mutate further, as it has already demonstrated to be in its nature, there is no way to predict how virulent and dangerous it could become. The Avian flu is another virus that jumped species and its mortality rate is far higher.

The prudent response is to take simple precautions, which people tend to forget about, and get vaccinated when the opportunity becomes available.
                      Last edited by SpiffPeters; 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

It is like most viruses most of us will try and fight it at home. About shaking hands I like greeting people especially with a firm hand shake. However considering the overall nastiness of people that don't wash there hands regularly it has slowed my hand shaking down considerably.

Comment

Working...
                        X