X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Defense on Halloween Eve

I decide to turn in early tonight, tired form a long day of cleaning up leaves.
    Just as I rested my head I heard a car burning rubber and tearing down my main road. I jumped up from bed to see what was going on and saw a pickup turn down my dead end ( I have a corner property). I figured something was wrong and heard my wife yelling to our little dog to get in the house, at the same time she yelled to me that someone was on our property maybe thirty feet from our deck door. Funny thing is that only yesterday my buddy convinced me that I should keep a trigger lock on my shot gun, so I had to fumble for the key as I pulled my pants on. I made it downstairs pretty quick, shot gun in hand, tactical knife ready to go. Guy in the back yard took off with his buddy in the pickup and I'm pretty sure they were just cutting through my yard. We weren't the intended target of a home invasion or Halloween prank.
    I'm glad I didn't have to shoot or stab anyone, but the incident did prove to my wife that we must be responsible for our own security. The police showed up about ten minutes later, and they were a welcome sight but unless they were in our house watching tv at the time of the incident, they could not have stopped anything from happening. Just a reminder to all that at least for tomorrow night it might be kids messing around, so try not to hurt anyone. Hope all is quiet and uneventful for Halloween.

Re: Home Defense on Halloween Eve

Kids messing around get a warning shot into the ground. everyone else gets an escalation of force.

I don't own a shotgun, only ww2-vietnam era high powered rifles.

the M1 is loaded and out of reach of little hands. the .303 british is loaded and in the gun cabinet.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

a shotgun is the perfect home security weapon, especially if there are neighbors in close proximity. a rifle will carry its force a long long way while a shotgun looses its punch quicker.

Remington 870, 18.5 inch barrel, pistol grips front and back, and 3 shot/slug combos are perfect for me.

while trigger locks have merit, a defensive weapon has to be ready to use at a moments notice

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

for me it's a water baloon sling shot

isn't that right bill

p.s it wasn't me

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

trigger lock?????..................I thought that was called a safety

G3

Comment

So as not to have to deal with police and ATF officers, I'm a bit more inventive. Anyone wanting to make or actually making trouble won't soon forget what I gave them, but it's not lead or steel. I'll give you a little hint. What I use is actually are safety devices that every home should have several of and within quick reach. Their intended use isn't for use on nasty animals or people, but they sure will make both think again before going on the attack.

Let's see who can figure out what these devices might be. Please think and get inventive.

Comment

Potato guns are awesome!

The evidence (if you have a dog) will be quickly eaten right at the point you hit someone in the head with it in the yard.

Good dog, good dog! Now here's a treat go run and poop.

Throwing rotten eggs still in the shell is probably worse than a gunshot to the torso. If you know what the smell is about, you know what I'm talking about.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

DUNBAR

How about a big nasty slingshot using an inner-tube and 1/2 frozen rotten eggs?

Comment

Let's see who can figure out what these devices might be.
                  Fire extinguishers. Dry chemical types are pretty nasty to get hit in the face with.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    for me it's a water baloon sling shot

isn't that right bill

p.s it wasn't me

rick.
                    I'm still blaming you until someone else fesses up

I like to fill a Super Soaker squirt gun with my pee

Comment

I am not to a point where I feel I need to keep a loaded gun in the house. I have a brother-in-law who had his wife draw down on him with a 44 when he came home one day early from a hunting trip. When needed, I have a safe full of firearms and another safe full of ammo. As a self-defense weapon I don't know that I would want a hand gun as I think a shotgun makes more sense for that application. I would likely not use a slug but would opt for bird shot instead. It seems killing an intruder might be overkill but I am not against inflecting enough hurt on him to stop him in his tracks.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        I am not to a point where I feel I need to keep a loaded gun in the house. I have a brother-in-law who had his wife draw down on him with a 44 when he came home one day early from a hunting trip. When needed, I have a safe full of firearms and another safe full of ammo. As a self-defense weapon I don't know that I would want a hand gun as I think a shotgun makes more sense for that application. I would likely not use a slug but would opt for bird shot instead. It seems killing an intruder might be overkill but I am not against inflecting enough hurt on him to stop him in his tracks.
                        Mark
                        how do you know the intruder isn't up to harming you or your family? a Dallas officer years ago suggested the #3, slug, #3, slug, #3. the #3 clears a path and the slug's for anyone left standing. repeat as necessary. if you are in my house univited and unannounced you take your chances. remember an injured animal is a very dangerous animal. a dead one can't harm you

steve
                        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                          how do you know the intruder isn't up to harming you or your family? a Dallas officer years ago suggested the #3, slug, #3, slug, #3. the #3 clears a path and the slug's for anyone left standing. repeat as necessary. if you are in my house univited and unannounced you take your chances. remember an injured animal is a very dangerous animal. a dead one can't harm you

steve
                          Make no mistake I would assume he is there to harm my family just because he is there. However, 8-rounds of #2 bird shot is quite the equalizer. If I am not mistaken that is right around 120 pellets of burning pain.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Glad everything worked out for you Frank.

Keep in mind that under great stress, fine motor skills take a back seat. Fumbling with a key can be very difficult.

Prepare, Practice, Pray it never happens.
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                              Kids messing around get a warning shot into the ground. everyone else gets an escalation of force.

I don't own a shotgun, only ww2-vietnam era high powered rifles.

the M1 is loaded and out of reach of little hands. the .303 british is loaded and in the gun cabinet.
                              LOL. "Duck, mf-er!"

Or as PlumbingSkool would say, "Watz up, yeah???!!!!!" (said with a high-pitched screetch, while chasing them down the street).

Comment

Working...
                              X