X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snow thrower

what is the best longest lasting snow blower?
    i'm in the market for a good one not a 2 stage that only lasts 1 seasion.
    requirements
    our driveway is about 300 feet long and can drift 2 feet in the night.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Re: snow thrower

Just jack the house up two feet, get a sled and say screw it.

(I have no idea. Good luck.)

J.C.

Comment

The Ariens snowblower is one of good products and I know there is couple other in market are good one as well.

the 24 or 32 inch unit two stage work for ya and get at least 5 HP the smallest one you can get but normally 8 HP is normal range unless you want to blow it out in the hurry then 10 or 12 HP unit will do the job but cost more than 8 Hp and what more there are few options you can use as it will suit your need.

I Have moddifed snowblower with 12 HP diesel engine that will cut thru the hevey drift something I can't do that with 10 HP gaz motor without near stall it.

Merci,Marc

Comment

In my opinion with the depth of snow and volume given the length of your driveway, a snow blower is not the solution. You should invest in a plow blade and truck, even if the truck is old and just going to used for plowing the snow and not driven on the main roads or registered! i've had my five horsepower 21" two stage Toro for over twenty years, but then again I have a dirway that is only two cars wide by three deep. I also don't let the snow get deeper than six to nine inches before clearing it off so I don't overload the machine. Seriously you need a plow. Not even sure if a plow mounted on a All terrain Vehicle would do the job once you mentioned the two foot drifts!
        That is some heavy snow and it will take a powerful vehicle and blade to more it on any kind of regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by frankiarmz View Post
          in my opinion with the depth of snow and volume given the length of your driveway, a snow blower is not the solution. You should invest in a plow blade and truck, even if the truck is old and just going to used for plowing the snow ....................seriously you need a plow. Not even sure if a plow mounted on a all terrain vehicle would do the job once you mentioned the two foot drifts!
          That is some heavy snow and it will take a powerful vehicle and blade to more it on any kind of regular basis.
          +1
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

what's snow?

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

+1

jered, don't you have family in ventura, ca?

i would load up the van for the season

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I disagree with both Franki and BD. Plowing is only good if you have lots of room to pile the snow. I have a very long drive and used to use both a plow and a bucket on the tractor. Used to take me over 4 hours--now I have a blower on the tractor and I do it in less than an hour. John Deere, Toro, and Ariens all make good ones. I'm sure there are others, but I am familiar with those.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  +1

jered, don't you have family in ventura, ca?

i would load up the van for the season

rick.
                  Brother Rick, I'm on the way!!!

Comment

Source:
                    http://www.plowsunlimited.com/airport.htm

Comment

The best and most reliable snow thrower that I have ever used was to move to Florida.

Comment

I gotta give a +1 to PK's advice also. If you don't have the room to pile the snow up than a plow would be basically a bad choice. There's nothing better than to be trumped by someone with first hand knowledge.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My driveway was 300' + 500' of road that the town doesn't plow.
                          I did the driveway with a snow blower one day and after quite some time on the last pass KABOOM.

Then I got a Curtis plow.Now I crank the heat and tunes and plow away
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                            what's snow?

steve
                            YOU SUCK!!!

INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i've had the 5 hp ones before and they work fine. take an hour or two but only last one season. at $600 a season. i'd rather spring for a one that i can get 5 years out of.
                              the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Working...
                              X