X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive Batteries & "The Better Deal"

Let's see what all of you think about this. I know how I feel and what my choice would be, but how about you?

Battery A) This one costs $100 new and comes with a 30 month free replacement and then an additional 42 month prorated warranty which is based on how many months are left. At 31 months you do not get a replacement for almost nothing the way it works.

Battery B) This one costs $70 and has a flat rate pro rated warranty of 60 months and the dealer will give a free replacement during the first three months if it fails early.

Please assume that both batteries have the same size case, terminals and about the same CCA (cold cranking Ampere) rating. Battery B is a name brand sold through a real battery dealer and battery A is sold by a chain auto parts store. In addition I personally know that battery A is made in China while battery B is made in the USA. Several of my friends that have various sizes of the brand that battery A is have had failures within 24 months and got free replacements only to have them fail too soon. People that have purchased batteries made by the same company as battery B normally get over 5 years of good service from them.

Remember that with A they did get free replacements and with B you wouldn't, but with B you have less chance of early failure because the manufacture normally does a better job and uses better internal parts. The reason battery B costs me less is because I'm getting it from a serious battery dealer and not some fancy retail store with mini skirted checkout girls and the like.

Which would you go for? Why?
    Last edited by Woussko; 11-04-2009, 12:38 AM. Reason: Minor wording changes

Re: Automotive Batteries & "The Better Deal"

Buy the better battery with a higher quality service record.

Think about it, this is your vehicle you drive to work everyday in. How much money are you really saving if you have to pick up the phone and say the following to your employer? "Hello? Yeah, I can't come into work today, my battery died, the engine won't even turn over."

Now let's think here, how great is a free battery replacement when you have to miss work (Which costs money) to get the damn thing?

Comment

The only problem I see with option B is a lack of mini skirted check out girls. I'd be willing to pitch in $5 extra for that, but not in Maine. Here the "mini" skirts are the same size as a four man dome tent.

Seriously though, I'd be willing to pay more for option b for the following reasons

1. Its USA made.

2. I don't care how long the warranty is, when I get into a car or start a machine, I expect it to start. I don't want to stop what I'm doing andd go get my free/prorated battery every few months.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I usually check Consumer Reports tests. You'd be surprised that one Duralast battery from AutoZone to be the best buy/one. And another one (rated for different cars or trucks) that's a Duralast from AutoZone might suck. No consistency.

I remember at one time here in the U.S. one battery mfg. making like 5 different brands and just labeling differently. Deka, Interstate etc.

I buy what I feel is the absolute best battery, brakes, & some other parts I can get. Always glad I do too.

I don't need downtime or problems. Ends up costing more.

J.C.

Comment

I just bought a new car battery and the highest rated were a wal mart brand.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

do you have pics of the mini skirted girls

wally world batteries are pretty good, last ones I bought were from sam's with a 24 month free relacement and then 48 months (i think) prorated.

G3

Comment

35 Years ago I met a battery Eng. He said there are only 3 Batt. Manuf. in the US One is GOULD ,forget the other 2. The difference between a cheaper Batt. and a good one.
              THE AMOUNT OF LEAD! I measure My batt. case. than buy Costcos. largest Amp. Hr Batt. I can fit. Make sure You maintain at least 12.5 Amps on seldom used Batts.
              or they sulfate ,and turn to garbage. Use a trickle charger
              Last edited by toolaholic; 11-04-2009, 12:29 PM.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

A very good item for keeping batteries at full charge and especially during storage is the Deltran Battery Tender series of maintainer chargers. You can learn more about them here. The simple Jr. (junior) series is all most of us need.

http://batterytender.com/chargers.html

Please note that I have found some pretty good deals on them through eBay. The catalog number for a simple 12 Volt model is Battery Tender Junior 12V

Comment

To answer the question, I'd go with battery B; especially given the "history" that you state.

But, if I did not know of the "history", then battery A would be attractive and I'd probably explore it a little more. But for a $30 difference, I'd go with the Made in the U.S.A.

As previously mentioned, the "label" doesn't mean much, as there are only three or four (that many?) manufacturers in the U.S.

In my more than 45 years of driving, I think I've only "replaced" maybe two or three batteries. I generally keep my cars for a very long time (7 to 14 years) and find that if properly cared for and driven, batteries simply don't deteriorate that often.

I had to replace the battery in my 95 Miata, simply because I didn't drive it that ofen and never in the winter. Putting a charge on it every couple of weeks during the winter wasn't nearly enough. I now have a full-time monitor/charger tender on it.

By way of example, the 91 Plymouth van that I purchased used in 1997 still had the original battery in it when I sold it in 2008. It never gave me a problem even on those cold winter mornings here in NY. Big deal is to keep the terminals clean... a twice a year, few minutes task.

Similarly, the emergency batteries (deep-cycle, RV) I use for backing-up my Ham radio equipment are maintained with tender. I believe that particular battery is now approaching eight years.

CWS

Comment

To answer the question, I'd go with battery B

but me i run with Interstate battery's 800 C C A i get 6 to 8 years out of a battery

Comment

Originally posted by where am i View Post
                      To answer the question, I'd go with battery B

but me i run with Interstate battery's 800 C C A i get 6 to 8 years out of a battery
                      We've had 1 in 1 truck and it didn't last very long.

We had 4 in a track loader. (Takes 4) And they weren't worth a damm.

Bought from a dealer that maintained them and rotated stock as necessary.

But who knows now. I read that this Deka lasts a long time but that Deka sucks. Might be the same way with Interstate and other brands. Have to get a specific one maybe.

J.C.

Comment

[QUOTE=JCsPlumbing;260590]We've had 1 in 1 truck and it didn't last very long.

We had 4 in a track loader. (Takes 4) And they weren't worth a damm.

Bought from a dealer that maintained them and rotated stock as necessary.

But who knows now. I read that this Deka lasts a long time but that Deka sucks. Might be the same way with Interstate and other brands. Have to get a specific one maybe.

J.C.[/QUOTE I dont know what to tell you. I dont work on my own vehicles.
                        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          35 Years ago I met a battery Eng. He said there are only 3 Batt. Manuf. in the US One is GOULD ,forget the other 2. The difference between a cheaper Batt. and a good one.
                          THE AMOUNT OF LEAD! I measure My batt. case. than buy Costcos. largest Amp. Hr Batt. I can fit. Make sure You maintain at least 12.5 Amps on seldom used Batts.
                          or they sulfate ,and turn to garbage. Use a trickle charger
                          GBC was one of the other two, don't remember the third manufacturer.

I think you mean 12.5V, not Amps don't you?
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X