X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley Taking Over Black & Decker, DeWalt, et al

Saw this news item about Stanley Tools taking over Black & Decker/Dewalt, et al the other day and thought it might just be interesting. Sounds like it's close to being a done deal.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/02/news...ion=2009110216

Re: Stanley Taking Over Black & Decker, DeWalt, et al

Fairly big news. That's quite the consolidation, if it goes through.

Comment

The FatMax stuff is good. If they can bring back some respect for Black and Decker, then it will all be worth it.
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Hi Spinalzo.

Thanks a million. Very useful indeed. I've taken a quick look at the links and i think this could be quite an interesting path to follow. Once again thank you very much.
        christmas presents

Comment

Spinalzo

Thanks for starting this thread. I really haven't yet got into reading much, but it sure would be wild if it does go through. I really would love to see the return of Black & Decker Industrial. They used to make some very very serious power tools. As for Stanley, they could make up all kinds of power screwdriver bits (see Stanley-Proto industrial tools) among many other accessories like all kinds of bits for roto-hammer drills and much much more. It sure would be grand if they got the USA factories up and running as they should be. **** to all the Chinese ElKrapo imported tools.

Comment

I can't wait to hear DRC-Wartex's take on this buyout.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Stanley fell out of favor with me a few years ago when they tried to move to Bermuda

I didn't know they had the Husky brand and MAC tools also

Comment

I'm not an overly big Stanley fan. For my measuring and other angular needs, I prefer Lufkin and Johnson (Johnson angles and squares, and their Professional line of levels, are the cat's meow).

And a mistake correction from earlier. I actually am favourable now to Empire levels - I love the contrast that you get from their bubble vials (blue on white on blue). They're my fav right now.
                Last edited by canucksartech; 11-07-2009, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Spinalzo

Thanks for starting this thread. I really haven't yet got into reading much, but it sure would be wild if it does go through. I really would love to see the return of Black & Decker Industrial. They used to make some very very serious power tools. As for Stanley, they could make up all kinds of power screwdriver bits (see Stanley-Proto industrial tools) among many other accessories like all kinds of bits for roto-hammer drills and much much more. It sure would be grand if they got the USA factories up and running as they should be. **** to all the Chinese ElKrapo imported tools.
                  Woussko I think if you would research the original Dewalt line was just the industrial B&D line in yellow, all it was marketing tool to get the Bad taste of the home owner B&D line out of the contractors mouth, and to give the industrial sides of the company a new name and look, but I think they have replaced nearly all the old B&D industrial tools with new models now,
                  I would really doubt if you will ever see any of those great old tools re manufactured, by the new company,
                  %0
                  Last edited by BHD; 11-07-2009, 11:40 AM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Oh YAY!

Now Tool Monopolies are starting to form

Comment

I'm plain sick of the China, Jap, crap. Why can't we make our own damn tools.

Nothing but a bunch of kahki wearing, bean counting, idots making decisions without considering the ramifications.

The same goes to all those plumbing fixture making companies. Their is no pride from installing a toilet that says Made is Vietnam on it.

I won't even get started on the Korean and China copper fittings I get sent.

Ridgid, make a battery operated tool set in the USA, market the hell of it being made in the USA and charge 100.00 more than the best set. I would buy it.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I've always found Stanley hit and miss. Some of their stuff is good, other tools are overrated. But I think B & D / DeWalt and co are different enough from what Stanley does that either business won't change a whole lot. Each company doesn't really have much to gain by messing with the other.

It looks much less similar to the TTI buyout of Milwaukee where you could see early on the intent was to cheapen the Milwaukee line. To be fair they needed to do something because PowerPlus 18V and other corded tool areas were stagnating. But in the last couple of years (with Galli) they look to have taken a turn for the better with some nice new products.

Overall, I don't think this merger is a bad thing.

Comment

As a retired locksmith I remember when Stanley bought out Best Locking Access Systems. Best was definately was the Best service and durability of the lock industry. Stanley stepped in and in my opinion has destroyed a top leader in the field of locks. The university I retired from is in the process of completely changing over their locking systems due to the changes that have happened since Stanley took over.

Comment

stanley has a large line of hydraulic tools and breakers. they also have a copper press tool.

i think b&d still owns price pfister.

should be interesting to see what they plan on doing.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                              I'm plain sick of the China, Jap, crap. Why can't we make our own damn tools.

Nothing but a bunch of kahki wearing, bean counting, idots making decisions without considering the ramifications.

The same goes to all those plumbing fixture making companies. Their is no pride from installing a toilet that says Made is Vietnam on it.

I won't even get started on the Korean and China copper fittings I get sent.

Ridgid, make a battery operated tool set in the USA, market the hell of it being made in the USA and charge 100.00 more than the best set. I would buy it.
                              Great post! This is exactly the kind of business decision that is needed to rescue our economy from the morons who decided to ship all the factories and jobs to mexico and overseas. Yes, you will pay more if it's made here, but guess what? You won't be paying as much for unemployed Americans who lose their healthcare, homes and ability to pay into the system rather than take from it! Cities and towns will collect tax revenuse from big businesses and won't have to squeeze it out of the little guy! You will also get a better quality product, remember when made in America stood for greater quality? Nowadays we install plumbing, electrical, and auto parts that are defective right out of the box or soon there after.

Comment

Working...
                              X