Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNEMPLOYMENT - 10.2% and rising - 15.7 million people with no Job

And it's getting worse.

We all know these numbers are skewed and considerably higher, that's always the case. There is no counting of workers that took considerably lower paying jobs just to stay in the game.

Those that took early retirement, relocated and then got laid off again, anything.

There are so many customers of mine paying by credit card at this point that it is scary. They simply are financing their home repairs.

Why is it that the college educated got hit so damn hard in this equation? I thought that is what 1000's of dollars prevented you from? Stability, endurance, longevity in your career to make it bulletproof in the big equation of employment.

I hate to say it but I work for so many unemployed Fidelity Investment workers that it's haunting. "Glorified Customer Service Associates" is what they usually say.

These people are losing everything they got at this point.

Some of these other companies are playing rude tactics as well. Forcing their employees to work off the clock on saturdays and "if you don't" the whole employee base knows for sure you will lose your job. Say anything and you're in the unemployment line.

Cutting way down on the perks at work; free coffee, donuts one morning a week, the list goes on. Those tightening of the boot straps is happening all across workplace america.

Hold on tight because there's a hard reality coming soon that has to dump and run, and there's no way to stop it. Domino theory always plays itself out with no reversal of fortune.

History is repeating itself whether we want it to or not, and it's the writing on the wall that we'll experience as a given lesson. A lesson the media is only tube feeding bits and pieces of the larger picture that's out there that is recognized and muffled by the dominance of filtered news corps.

I don't make this up, I just comment about it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-job....html?x=0&.v=9
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: UNEMPLOYMENT - 10.2% and rising - 15.7 million people with no Job

They are also trying to extend unemployment benefits to 88 weeks, 92 weeks?

Do you know, how hard that will impact small businesses that are struggling to stay afloat, what they will do to keep in business?

This is the cause and effect theory; It's guaranteed that the cost for employers in the realm of unemployment rates will significantly go UP to somehow compensate for this massive debt the government is taking on to support so many people without a job.

Some of us might be secure in our profession/career, but I notice that every move I make now costs significantly more. Fast food, gas, snacks, materials...everything.

A can of corn is now $1.33 a can.....it used to be .33 a can forever. Supply and demand.

Less of a draw on the supply and considerably less demand, prices always go up.

What hurts worse? At some point all of this will slowly tick up, and eventually the cost of product will go down due to volume...but us as the end user will still pay those inflated prices because there's no reason for those companies to drop them, considering the fat profit margins embedded in those equations.

Off to work to pay for inflation, this embroiled mess that we all knew was coming when the bubble was going to burst.

Comment

Glad to see you are so upbeat!

Comment

trickle down effect here.

for example. when people loose ther jobs it effects everyone in there family tree. those people slow down there spending, then it trickles down to me and you the business owner. then i quit spending so much because everyone above me does the same. so now we have this whole slowing down to a crawl thing.
        the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

I always thought this area is pretty much recession proof. Not anymore. DC jobless rate is now over 10%. The tristate area is just over 6% so that's not too bad.

Washington, D.C. ward 8 jobless is at a whopping 28%!

I can't even drive through there anymore. They just throw rocks and beer bottles at my truck.

Thank you Marion Barry. You're doing a great job!

Comment

[QUOTE=plumberscrack;260928]I can't even drive through there anymore. They just throw rocks and beer bottles at my truck./QUOTE]

Dude, that's not the unemployed and angry people.

That's just some of the people that don't like you...

I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

It's disturbing, no doubt.

I worked today, I should feel privileged and I do.

I understand the denial some have, not wanting to administer the litmus test we as a nation are going through but it has to be known.

Anyone want to throw a prediction, 6 months from now?

Comment

The BLS website yesterday put the number of unenployed and those who have given up or been dropped off the UE list at 17.5M !

www.bls.gov

Name:  eb847ac5bf60dcbe8f42dcadffa7739c.pdf
Views: 1
Size:  158.2 KB
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Here's a tidbit that the media and everyone else totally missed last week and that would be Joe Biden (you know Obamers VP) said that he though unemployment was really closer to 20% when you figure in all those that have given up looking anymore.

Anyone out there still wondering about the "Change you can believe in" I believe it
                  sigpic

Comment

In my opinion there is no stopping the collapse of our economy! Doesn't matter who is in the White House, neither republicans or democrats will do what needs to be done to turn this mess around. We need to employ Americans to make the goods Americans consume and stop spending our dollars in china, mexico and the rest of the world. How much longer do you think we can afford to enrich these other economies while we go further into debt? Extending unemployment benefits, bailouts, stimulus, all bandaids! Americans need real jobs so they can pay mortgages, hire tradespeople, grow our economy. The thought of free trade and a global economy has been a death sentence to America, look at the trade deficit. Stop blaming Unions, unless we are willing to mirror the standard of living of our third world counterparts, living in huts, earning pennies an hour, we need to stop buying from them and pay Americans, beats paying unemployment and the coming depression.

Comment

Americans have become fat, dumb, lazy, a ME society, cheap etc....I could go on and on
                      well, except for plumbers who still can plunge out a living!

Our downfall is tied to fat, stupid, dumb, lazy cheap Americans! etc etc I could go on and on

We need to return to the "American work ethic" That means roll up your sleeves put that stupid I-pod down, put the telephone down, stop masturbating and get your hands dirty and do some real work! make something real!!!

Our country was built on the backs of hard working Americans that made a product! Then they sold the product for a profit...earned enough money from that profit to pay an employee so he could by a made in USA product! etc. We did this while the only technology the camel jockeys had were hookahs and dominoes. the chineese had rice and people building a wall by hand, We were the only country that produced great stuff!

Today we are so lazy I'm surprised our toilet paper isn't ALL imported!!!! Actually the tree huggers want us to use both sides! We had steel mills, factories, production.....today we have a lazy generation more interested in computer games and face-book than learning how to make stuff.

Do you realize Harbor Freight sells American flags? look at their catalog in small print it states they can't sell those American flags in Minnesota!
                      You know why?????

It's because the great state of Minnesota will not allow American flags not made in America to be purchased or flown in their state!!!!! good for them!

I am so ashamed that the American Hummer vehicle will be made in china, Chrysler will
                      be dripping of Italian sauce and made for small people,
                      I look around the room here as I write this rant and I can't quickly identify anything made in America!!!!! Well except for me..I was conceived in the back seat of a Nash!

OK, we don't want pollution, great, but we now pollute shipping raw materials to china then have them transport them back..I'm sure their big boats treat the ocean with respect as they dump trash overboard and who knows what else! We have the technology to make products with less pollution...Remember only America,Britain, and Canada will follow the rules in this scam of cap and trade..china and india have already indicated they could care less...so they will have the smoke stacks polluting and the wealth while we say "ya want fries with that?"..in spanish and pressing a picture register as the kids can no longer do math in their heads!

Schwinn bicycles were made in Chicago! Today it's cheaper to send the tubes to china, have them weld them and bend them and then ship it back to Chicago for partial assembly.

That's crap! We should at least be able to build a bicycle in America without foreign products!

Not everyone can be a manager behind a desk we need workers!
                      I strongly believe in term limits for all elected officials local and federal!
                      two terms period..one term in office and one term in jail.

If we believe the people in Washington DC are the smart ones I will quickly agree with the others here...we are in for a long depression and a lot of trouble...stop the political correctness crap and get the job done once and for all!!!!

damn I can't find my meds....ha ha

Cactus Man

Comment

The other night, while driving back from teaching a night class to plumbing II apprentices I was passing by lake Winnipasaukee. The sky was clear and the moon was brilliant and full and as I gazed upon it it occurred to me that since the day that the moon coalesced the only human beings that have ever set foot upon it were Americans

I'll put Neil Armstrong and the boys up against Akmed Habibby any day of the week.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                          Americans have become fat, dumb, lazy, a ME society, cheap etc....I could go on and on
                          well, except for plumbers who still can plunge out a living!

Our downfall is tied to fat, stupid, dumb, lazy cheap Americans! etc etc I could go on and on

We need to return to the "American work ethic" That means roll up your sleeves put that stupid I-pod down, put the telephone down, stop masturbating and get your hands dirty and do some real work! make something real!!!

Our country was built on the backs of hard working Americans that made a product! Then they sold the product for a profit...earned enough money from that profit to pay an employee so he could by a made in USA product! etc. We did this while the only technology the camel jockeys had were hookahs and dominoes. the chineese had rice and people building a wall by hand, We were the only country that produced great stuff!

Today we are so lazy I'm surprised our toilet paper isn't ALL imported!!!! Actually the tree huggers want us to use both sides! We had steel mills, factories, production.....today we have a lazy generation more interested in computer games and face-book than learning how to make stuff.

Do you realize Harbor Freight sells American flags? look at their catalog in small print it states they can't sell those American flags in Minnesota!
                          You know why?????

It's because the great state of Minnesota will not allow American flags not made in America to be purchased or flown in their state!!!!! good for them!

I am so ashamed that the American Hummer vehicle will be made in china, Chrysler will
                          be dripping of Italian sauce and made for small people,
                          I look around the room here as I write this rant and I can't quickly identify anything made in America!!!!! Well except for me..I was conceived in the back seat of a Nash!

OK, we don't want pollution, great, but we now pollute shipping raw materials to china then have them transport them back..I'm sure their big boats treat the ocean with respect as they dump trash overboard and who knows what else! We have the technology to make products with less pollution...Remember only America,Britain, and Canada will follow the rules in this scam of cap and trade..china and india have already indicated they could care less...so they will have the smoke stacks polluting and the wealth while we say "ya want fries with that?"..in spanish and pressing a picture register as the kids can no longer do math in their heads!

Schwinn bicycles were made in Chicago! Today it's cheaper to send the tubes to china, have them weld them and bend them and then ship it back to Chicago for partial assembly.

That's crap! We should at least be able to build a bicycle in America without foreign products!

Not everyone can be a manager behind a desk we need workers!
                          I strongly believe in term limits for all elected officials local and federal!
                          two terms period..one term in office and one term in jail.

If we believe the people in Washington DC are the smart ones I will quickly agree with the others here...we are in for a long depression and a lot of trouble...stop the political correctness crap and get the job done once and for all!!!!

damn I can't find my meds....ha ha

Cactus Man
                          The chrysler you refer to will be made in mexico!!! President Bush tried to put a tarrif on foreign steel and the foreign powers threatened to hurt us with trade and he backed down, this was years ago. You wrote a great post and I agree with you. Most people just can't see that we can't support a society that does not provide for the things it consumes. A depression is inevitable at this rate. Secure the borders, build factories, employ Americans and let the rest of the world fend for themselves. Anyone who thinks our economy is on the road to recovery has got to be insane. Please explain to me how that can possibly happen with us losing half a million jobs a month!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Here's a tidbit that the media and everyone else totally missed last week and that would be Joe Biden (you know Obamers VP) said that he though unemployment was really closer to 20% when you figure in all those that have given up looking anymore.

Anyone out there still wondering about the "Change you can believe in" I believe it

Yup, it is that. On the BLS web site they quote 17.5% so he wasn't far off.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              Yup, it is that. On the BLS web site they quote 17.5% so he wasn't far off.
                              I'm glad the VP was so open and honest with the unemployment numbers. Anyone have a guess as to when those rising numbers become a priority to our elected officials? When it reaches thirty percent does an alarm go off? Maybe when it reaches forty percent there will be an emergency meeting and they won't break for vacation? What made them think the problem with unemployment could wait until they addressed healthcare, or global warming?

Comment

Working...
                              X