Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Forgotten 6th. Wheel (Automotive)

Woussko, I've never owned a vehicle that didn't have a full sized spare tire. I guess that's why that 60 PSI deal was new to me.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      Tire stores... BAH! authoritative dealers of bullshit like everywhere else.
      The Forum Nazi gonna get ya fo' sho'.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        Woussko, I've never owned a vehicle that didn't have a full sized spare tire. I guess that's why that 60 PSI deal was new to me.
        Good for you.

Comment

And why do I always need new valve stems?
          Because the stems are made of the same material as tires, and are exposed to the same conditions. Road salt, heat, sun, extreme temperatures, etc.

When a valve stem blows out it gives you a nice BIG hole that will deflate your tire in less than 5 seconds. The hole in the rim is about 1/2" in diameter. I can't tell you how many cars came in for new tires and when I got the wheel mounted on the tire machine I barely touched the stem and it broke right off where it passes through the rim. The button end falls inside the tire and the stem falls to the ground, and you are left with a gaping hole that is whistling DANGER at the top of its lungs. If this had happened while driving down the road it would be instant flip of the car. There is no time to react or recover, and hardly anyone learns how to handle a car in a situation like this unless you have had a defensive driving class or similar training, or been to the school of hard knocks a time or two.

When I worked for Goodyear (many, many years ago) we ALWAYS replaced stems with every new tire sold, they were included in the sale. If someone had custom (chromed for instance) stems then we gave them credit for the cost of standard stems toward new ones the same as they had or at their option they could keep their old stems, but they would have to sign a statement on the invoice saying so.

How cheap can you get? You're going to blow you tire investment, risk your life and totaling your car over a couple bucks for valve stems?

Or is the problem that it cuts into you Z rated tire with flashy rim budget?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The stems'r two years old, not twenty.

The tires I'm replacing because the tread's gone, not because they're uv'd to death.

The junkyard rims I pick up to run winter tires on, they got new stems, but I just feel nickel-dimed to death when it's another $20 to replace perfectly good two yr old valve stems.

Yeah, I'm cheap, but I'm also tired of getting bent over. I'm considering laying out the $ and shop space and buying a mounting machine and balancer and ordering rubber on line just to save the frustration of dealing with tire stores (it sure wouldn't save money, but it's save a lot of hair pulling out).

And while I'll entertain an agument that tire rotation may make sense, man, that nitrogen fill is just pure bs unless you are racing lemans or nascar or something or landing an airliner.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Ace Sewer

I have to agree that most tire dealers really try hard to SKREW everyone out of every last cent they can get.

Comment

Working...
              X