Clear All

Re: What motivates you?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Well, what motivates you?

Religion
    Family
    Money
    Whatever

No criticism for any answers. Just looking into others' inspirations.
    Love. just think about it. i love to.....

receiving and spreading love is my motivation for every breath i take.
    http://www.blackbookoftools.com
    http://www.gronim.com

Comment

I just spent a couple months visiting a therapist to figure this out. It was worth it.

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      When you are a good worker with a need to do things right, it's hard to settle for less. The trick is to find a balance, a middle ground where you don't sacrifice your qualtiy or volume of work for your quality of life, family or the needs or expectations of your customer. Maybe this quest is something to motivate you to work out different limits, internal red flags that tell you to step back or let it go for the next day?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

For me, the most bogus statement I was ever told was the following:
        "If something is important enough, you must make the time!"

To many times a day, I see myself leaving for work before sunrise, and not get home until well after sunset. Yet during the course of the day, and even the commute in to work, I witness most of the houses I drive by with all their vehicles in the driveway, people at nicer homes than mine having breakfast, out for a walk during the day, and having lunch at a decent restaurant with friends, all the while I'm busting my *** at work, night school, and military service for little more than a dented up Ford Focus, and a no-basement one floor ranch. These daily insults add up little at a time inside every fiber of my being. Must be nice to have the time to do such things.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have the time, even less the energy to be able to do simple things that make life easier. "Well, just make the time!" My counter arguement: "Well, what is time made out of?" It is made out of money, we need money to make time to do the things we want. Well guess what, I have neither. What little time I do have is spent on code classes at night (which costs money), military service on weekends (Which costs time), oh and taking certificate classes on photovoltaics (Which costs both time and money) thus forcing to to spend the rest of my time working to earn the money to pay for such things that take up the rest of my time. It's a vicious cycle, and not one by any real choice, but because I have to, thus the end result is a life of work, work and more work. I have no time for things like friends, family, social life, or even dating.

Still, what drives me the most is the hope, that someday maybe, just maybe the last fifteen years of getting good grades in high school, earning my Associates, serving my enlistments, years of hard work, obtaining my license, and getting certified to work on green energy projects will spring forth the fruit of my labors in the form of not having to work as much, thus freeing up time to do the times many others see to be enjoying.And by others I mean those my age. So far that has been produced are sour grapes that leaves a bitter taste down my throat!

How the hell do you people do it?
        Last edited by tailgunner; 11-13-2009, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Fried Chicken!
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Fried Chicken!
            You know, that would go down good right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post

To many times a day, I see myself leaving for work before sunrise, and not get home until well after sunset. Yet during the course of the day, and even the commute in to work, I witness most of the houses I drive by with all their vehicles in the driveway, people at nicer homes than mine having breakfast, out for a walk during the day, and having lunch at a decent restaurant with friends, all the while I'm busting my *** at work, night school, and military service for little more than a dented up Ford Focus, and a no-basement one floor ranch. These daily insults add up little at a time inside every fiber of my being. Must be nice to have the time to do such things.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have the time, even less the energy to be able to do simple things that make life easier. "Well, just make the time!" My counter arguement: "Well, what is time made out of?" It is made out of money, we need money to make time to do the things we want. Well guess what, I have neither. What little time I do have is spent on code classes at night (which costs money), military service on weekends (Which costs time), oh and taking certificate classes on photovoltaics (Which costs both time and money) thus forcing to to spend the rest of my time working to earn the money to pay for such things that take up the rest of my time. It's a vicious cycle, and not one by any real choice, but because I have to, thus the end result is a life of work, work and more work. I have no time for things like friends, family, social life, or even dating.

Still, what drives me the most is the hope, that someday maybe, just maybe the last fifteen years of getting good grades in high school, earning my Associates, serving my enlistments, years of hard work, obtaining my license, and getting certified to work on green energy projects will spring forth the fruit of my labors in the form of not having to work as much, thus freeing up time to do the times many others see to be enjoying.And by others I mean those my age. So far that has been produced are sour grapes that least a bitter taste down my throat!

Perspective can be your friend right now but you have to know how to use it. First of all, you see your routine of hard word, long, busy hours of study and sacrifice as a burden, chore, punishment of some kind. You are somewhat envious of all those folks still at home with familiy while you are out there busting your butt. Think of it this way, you are blessed with good health and a strong mind, which enables you to pursue your goals and the rewards they offer. Many of those folks still at home may be unemployed, ill, or having difficulty in their families, not everything is as it appears to be. Consider yourself lucky to be going to school, working and serving noble oblingations. Consider yourself spared the aggravation and heartbreak of relationship problems, for the moment. Chances are that all those things currently missing in your life will come in time. so why not look for the good in the present? Right now you are laying a strong foundation for a better life down the road. Remember your time of struggle and when school and service are done and your schedule frees up, use your time wisely. Go slow with your pursuit of a family and longer hours at home with "your" car in the driveway, you may look back on these days as the best in your life! I know I miss those long days at work because they meant I was young and strong, earning money and getting the satisfaction of accomplishing something with my time. Time does not stand still, situations change, make it your job to enjoy the moment, the struggle, hopefully one day when life slows down you can look back at these hard times as good times as well.

Comment

Who needs motivation? Where I'm at it's Groundhog Day everyday. And, for many of you I'll bet it's the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  Who needs motivation? Where I'm at it's Groundhog Day everyday. And, for many of you I'll bet it's the same.
                  Sir, you haven't experienced "Groundhog Day" until you spent six months in the sands of the Middle East like I have. My God, that deployment was mind-numbing.

"Frank" as far as your response; "Punishment" pretty much hit right on the nail. I'm going to go ahead and assume everything you said is true, my question then is this: "Then why does everything I worked for feel so empty?" The car I drive in is empty, the house I come home to after work is empty, my fridge is half-empty. The food I cook for myself feels like something is missing. I suppose your "perspective" arguement is indeed valid, but please understand that around the holidays I am usually bitter anyway due to the fact that most of my family are of "higher education" to include network gurus, software developers, communications technicians, mechanical engineers, marketers, and even a couple involved with governemnt and it's political workings. So come Christmas time, I (Out of 12 grand children) am the only tradesman in the entire family. What else can I feel but be among the bottom rung?

Comment

Sir, you haven't experienced "Groundhog Day" until you spent six months in the sands of the Middle East like I have. My God, that deployment was mind-numbing.

"Frank" as far as your response; "Punishment" pretty much hit right on the nail. I'm going to go ahead and assume everything you said is true, my question then is this: "Then why does everything I worked for feel so empty?" The car I drive in is empty, the house I come home to after work is empty, my fridge is half-empty. The food I cook for myself feels like something is missing. I suppose your "perspective" arguement is indeed valid, but please understand that around the holidays I am usually bitter anyway due to the fact that most of my family are of "higher education" to include network gurus, software developers, communications technicians, mechanical engineers, marketers, and even a couple involved with governemnt and it's political workings. So come Christmas time, I (Out of 12 grand children) am the only tradesman in the entire family. What else can I feel but be among the bottom rung?
                    Keep it all in perspective.

There are many good tradesmen that can do the jobs of "higher education" individuals.

I've been to get togethers with doctors, accountants, etc. Once they find out I'm a plumber they have all kinds of questions where their education has not helped them.

And thanks for your service.

J.C.

Comment

Still, what drives me the most is the hope, that someday maybe, just maybe the last fifteen years of getting good grades in high school, earning my Associates, serving my enlistments, years of hard work, obtaining my license, and getting certified to work on green energy projects will spring forth the fruit of my labors in the form of not having to work as much, thus freeing up time to do the times many others see to be enjoying.And by others I mean those my age. So far that has been produced are sour grapes that leaves a bitter taste down my throat!

Most successful people I know have done what you describe in some form. Long hours for a better future.

You'll get there.

J.C.

Comment

I am so glad to have the chance to respond to your post. First of all I feel honored to be communicating with a man such as yourself and I mean that with the most sincerity! You served six months in the Middle East and you still don't think you are a "Man among Men"? You are, but you need to believe it. I'd like to think we all are part of a puzzle, all different but all necessary. Sure those folks you mention earn big bucks and command some power, but as someone on this Forum once said, "Let's see how long they would last if their toilets didn't work". I think in your situation it goes beyond perspective to self esteem, I'm just giving a guess based on what you've said. Heck, if I lived through and accomplished what you have, my head would be held high and my attitude would be one of pride and joy. Give yourslef some time to take in the true worth of the people you hold in such high regard. Most of the wealthy folks I know are not very bright when it comes to matters of life and functioning well outside of their area of expertise. Sure there are wealthy folks who have known hard times and picked up a lot of life lessons along the way, but trust me you have a big jump on most of them. I'm going to make a suggestion here and I'd like you to at least consider it for a while, I never worked directly with a life coach but I have taken some courses on the power of positive thinking and success building. The mind is like a computer, it can be programmed to react in certain ways depending on the input. Take for expample your car and refridgerator, you see them as empty, joyless, spirtless "things", some folks ( single folks) dress up their fridge with all sorts of positive, happy pictures, messages, and things that are there to trigger good thoughts! While you get no joy from your car and feel it is an empty place, some folks can't wait to get behind the wheel after they show it a little love by waxing and detailing it, they play their favorite tunes, hang an air freshener. Knowing how to live life well, to live a life of joy, happiness and reward, takes a certain amount of learning and an open mind that it can be done! You can take a communication tech or software guru and put them in a room full of tools like compound slide saw, chainsaw, router, and they may be able to pull a trigger or pull a cord but they would be cluless to the world of potential those tools hold! Your attitude of dispair tells me you need, you deserve a guide to open your eyes to the wonder of your life and the potential for happiness you are passing up. Please don't take offense to my observations and suggestions, I think you are in a rut and don't belong there any longer. Frank

Comment

Tailgunner, After serving in the miltary, then law enforcement and accepting my sons disabilities, I was thinking exactly like your are right now. Long story short, it did not get better for me without retraining my mind as Frankinarmz said. That road was terrible for my family and if I had to do it over again, I would have sought help sooner. It took three years to get back on track.

I still have flashbacks in the sense of how I feel at a certain time, especially when I jump in the van first thing in the morning and it smells like a big turd from the snakes being in it all night. Makes you feel like a real success in life. But I just laugh about it and remember how much helping other people with their problems makes me feel good.

Take care
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Still, what drives me the most is the hope,

you answered the question yourself. hope washes away the bitter taste and if you can just focus on the hope the bitterness turns to honey. it is not easy and often not kind but hope is the answer. from the Jewish Talmud i was taught that the strongest man is the man that can conquer his own will and that the richest man is the man who is satisfied with what he has.

i am going to focus on your hope, try to butrress it, and spray honey on your bitterness.
                            http://www.blackbookoftools.com
                            http://www.gronim.com

Comment

resposibility; to my partners, my customers, and myself. people are counting on me, and that's what makes me answer the phone and roll out in the middle of the night.

money; I'm chipping away at the loan on the shop building, but I've got 5 yrs left even if I can keep dumping money on that loan at the rate I'm going. get out from under that nut every month and a world of options opens up.

habit; I just don't know what else I'd do with my time. I'll get that loan paid off and then have to go buy a bunch of equipment I cant afford just so I can blame the loans for having to work all the time. Honestly... what else would I do?

pride; it still tickles me to follow another guy (or two) who couldn't get a line open and make it look like no big thing, epsecially when I charge less than them.

curiosity; I do enjoy a difficult one that makes me think from time to time if I don't have a ton of jobs stacked up.

laziness; I've got such a comfortable niche, and I've got what I do so down, I'd have to work a whole lot harder to make the $ I need doing anything else.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X