• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut the TV Off!

Has anyone heard about this?

http://www.usnews.com/money/blogs/fr...creen-tvs.html

J.C.

Re: Cut the TV Off!

I heard about this a couple of weeks ago and the comments against it mentioned how it would hurt local retailers but do nothing to stop people from buying elsewhere including the Internet.

Comment

Okay...

What's the difference between a flat screen tv

and

tankless water heater,

body spray system

rainshower heads

large jacuzzi

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The GREENIES are coming to get us all with soft-recyclable-handcuffs and hand sanitizer made in a stump with all natural materials.

Don't get me started on the new diesels. Congratulations feds-you've just killed the new diesel market.

J.C.

Comment

I'm most likely going to gas with my next truck as well. I'm partially deaf from the first 25,000 miles breaking the motor in.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            I'm most likely going to gas with my next truck as well. I'm partially deaf from the first 25,000 miles breaking the motor in.
            If they do their homework, everyone will go gas in their light and medium duty applications.

J.C.

Comment

I don't have any numbers to go by, but it would seem to me that today's plasma TV's probably take less power than the typical 25" CRT-type television.

Maybe the government should offer a cash-for-cathodes rebate!

The next thing will be to get rid of all those individual little appliances, like the sandwich maker, George Foreman Grills, etc. too.

Then when they replace all the incandescent light bulbs (is it 2012?) amd everyone gets their own solar panel, the electric companies will be screaming for federal funding because there's so little consumption that they can't afford to keep their generators running.

See, there IS a plan!

CWS

Comment

the electric companies will be screaming for federal funding because there's so little consumption that they can't afford to keep their generators running.
                The electric companies have nothing to worry about. We have to cut present electric consumption drastically to get ready for plug in electric cars. Otherwise we will not have the capacity in the "grid" to handle them on a large scale without building new power plants. Present technology for new generating plants is coal or nuke, natural gas is very expensive for this use and is needed for many other uses.

Comment

With all that sunshine down there in Florida, I figured you folks would just plug into your big solar panel

But your are right of course. No matter how much cutting back we do with some electrical items, there will always be more demand. Electricity is undoubtedly the energy that is most convenient and most versatile for new inventions.

Up here in the North East, they're drilling natural gas wells all over the place (here in Steuben and Schyler counties). That started a few years ago and just within a few miles of the house there has got to be at least three or four successful wells that are "capped and waiting"... for what I don't know. Now there is much debate in the area over more drilling... this time for so-called "crack-gas", which requires hydraulic measures to crack open the shale to release the gas. The previous sites appeared to be just regular drilling (like I'm an expert...NOT). But within a few weeks those previous drilling were being "burned off". The well just above Corning is across the valley from the house here and I remember it buring for a couple of weeks... that alone could have fueled my home for a lifetime, as it really lit up the area.

In any case, Natural Gas here in NY is still the cheapest way to heat our homes. But in the last decade or so, we've seen our two nearest coal-fired generator plants shut down. Good thing as they were terrible pollution problems, in spite of so-called scrubbers, etc.

A friend of mine lived near the local plant and he lost two daughters in their late teens and early 20's to cancer and there were similar incidents in the area with other families, but the power company wouldn't know anything about that and the EPA conveniently couldn't identify any problems either. And we're supposed to believe that "clean coal" is a reality.

(As you might tell, I've become rather cynical in my trust of the energy industry and the government that is supposed to watch out for us.)

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 11-19-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    Okay...

What's the difference between a flat screen tv

and

tankless water heater,

body spray system

rainshower heads

large jacuzzi

Uh....one uses electricity, and the other uses water???

Comment

Hey CWS

Down here in Florida, one of the power companies, Florida Power and Light (FPL), just constructed a large solar farm to produce power. It was on the news recently. The president was here for its dedication (but our republican governor was not in attendance since 'green' power generation is a political issue).

One problem is, the many acres of land covered by the solar panels, is now unavailable for growing food, growing trees and other plants to exchange CO2 for Oxygen.

For every good idea there are many unintended consequences.

Maybe they should think of installing solar panels on building roofs and save the land for crops and cattle. If FPL asked me if they could help pay for panels on my roof to power my home and put the excess electricity into the grid, I would probably jump at the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                        I don't have any numbers to go by, but it would seem to me that today's plasma TV's probably take less power than the typical 25" CRT-type television.

Maybe the government should offer a cash-for-cathodes rebate!

The next thing will be to get rid of all those individual little appliances, like the sandwich maker, George Foreman Grills, etc. too.

Then when they replace all the incandescent light bulbs (is it 2012?) amd everyone gets their own solar panel, the electric companies will be screaming for federal funding because there's so little consumption that they can't afford to keep their generators running.

See, there IS a plan!

CWS
                        That's essentially what the issue is - the power consumption of the larger units.

I have a 50" plasma TV. It's an 8th-generation version, made by LG (I don't have the exact model number right now). It's not that old - we bought it brand new in December 2006, and this model had just come out two months before then. It's actually still available.

Now, this unit apparently uses 253 watts in "standby" mode. That means that this sucker is using 253 watts to just sit there, plugged in, and wait to be turned on. This info wasn't actually anywhere in my owners manual or on a sticker on the unit itself or on the box. I found it by looking up the specs online after the fact. When this thing is turned on, it uses about 370 to 520 watts (depending on settings, volume, etc.).

Now, this is completely ridiculous. Why it uses essentially 2/3's of it's total power consumption when it's in "standby" - completely not energy efficient. But, my wife and I don't sweat it out because absolutely everything else in our house is overly efficient - CFL and LED lights throughout the whole house, outside, everything; Energy-star/high-efficiency appliances; high-efficiency HVAC; tankless water heater (which I just installed a few weeks ago - amazing); high R-rated insulation throughout; piping insulation; energy-star windows and doors; high-efficiency new computer and electronics throughout the house; etc., etc., etc. So, the TV is the one gorging thing we have. If we turn on everything else throughout the house (lights in all rooms, etc.), then this TV is using 1/3 to 1/2 of our total power.

The problem is, is that some people have 2 or 3 of these TV's in their houses, and many are much, much less "efficient" than ours. Also, when you go just a slight size smaller (from a 50", down to a 46" or 42") LCD or plasma TV, they can be so much more efficient - about 1/2 of the usage. Some of the newer stuff coming out (I think the new Samsung LED LCD's) use only about 5 watts or so in standby, and then only about 100 watts when on, and that's for 46's or 50's.

It's all about balance. We're efficient in everything else, so I don't mind this one big thing. But some people have 2, 3, or more of these things, and that is a huge drain on the system.

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                          Maybe they should think of installing solar panels on building roofs and save the land for crops and cattle. If FPL asked me if they could help pay for panels on my roof to power my home and put the excess electricity into the grid, I would probably jump at the idea.
                          That's something that many people are doing up here in Ontario. There's some provincial and federal grant programs in place right now, which help people cover up to 50% of the cost of installing these systems. Then, basically, with powering your own home, and buying/selling electricity within the grid with the local power companies, this system pays for itself inside of 8 to 10 years. When we have to redo our roof in a few years, I'll definitely be looking at doing it (on top of installing the eco-shingle stuff that's available up here - recycled tires, looks just like slate or red-tile or cedar-shake, stuff like that. Three times the cost of normal asphalt shingles, but they have a 50 year warranty [yes, parts warranty and labour], and they add an additional R-rating to the roof/attic, so they're very efficient).

Comment

One problem is, the many acres of land covered by the solar panels, is now unavailable for growing food,
                            That's why they should not be allowed to be placed there. Look at all the roof top space that is wasted. There is acres and acres of it.

EVERY School, every public building, every mall, etc. should have a solar array equal to at least 20% of the calculated electric load of the facility on its roof.

As an added bonus the roof will now be shaded so the heat load should be lessened somewhat if the panels are spaced far enough above the roof surface. that the air gap will provide some relief.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              That's why they should not be allowed to be placed there. Look at all the roof top space that is wasted. There is acres and acres of it.

EVERY School, every public building, every mall, etc. should have a solar array equal to at least 20% of the calculated electric load of the facility on its roof.

As an added bonus the roof will now be shaded so the heat load should be lessened somewhat if the panels are spaced far enough above the roof surface. that the air gap will provide some relief.
                              Absolutely. This makes perfect sense, and is a win-win situation.

Unfortunately, this is also why it will never happen...

Comment

Working...
                              X