Cut the TV Off!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cut the TV Off!

I totally agree, it makes no sense whatever to use good agricultural land for placing solar panels. It's like using corn to make less-efficient gasoline! It does make me wonder about the ability of the regulatory and power industries to make logical decisions.

I recall a program on PBS or the Science channel last year that showed Germany and their application of solar power. On roofs of office buildings, supermarkets, along side highways etc. With the latter, it also cut back on the need to mow back the leaves I would suspect, although it didn't say.

Also, one of the things that made me wonder was the many articles that I've read about solar power not being viable in the northern parts of our country, or up here in the Northeast. Yet I would think that Germany would have similar weather. When you read about it's wide use in Europe, especially in Germany and some Scandinavian countrys and then you hear that we in the U.S. only think in terms of it being viable for the Southwest, California and southern areas like Florida. Makes me wonder where the expertise is at.

Thanks for the information regarding widescreen TV's. I would have never guessed that they suck up that much power. We'll be in the market for one after the first of the year and I was considering something between 40 and 50 inches, but I think I need to do a lot more research on the subject.

We're gradually changing over light bulbs and doing a few other "greener" things. But, we've always been very frugal with our power usage and have been pretty consistant with keeping lights to a minimum, TV's off when we're not sitting in front of them, etc. Compared to family and friends, our electric and gas bills are a fraction of theirs. But still, most of the electrical requirements that people have are terribly wasteful. When we finally get rid of the incandescent bulbs, that will be a big savings across the country.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

My CRT just goes and goes and goes. Probably like the old Ridgid monitors.

We'll have to see if some of the new ones will be on Ebay in 20 years.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        Thanks for the information regarding widescreen TV's. I would have never guessed that they suck up that much power. We'll be in the market for one after the first of the year and I was considering something between 40 and 50 inches, but I think I need to do a lot more research on the subject.

We're gradually changing over light bulbs and doing a few other "greener" things. But, we've always been very frugal with our power usage and have been pretty consistant with keeping lights to a minimum, TV's off when we're not sitting in front of them, etc. Compared to family and friends, our electric and gas bills are a fraction of theirs. But still, most of the electrical requirements that people have are terribly wasteful. When we finally get rid of the incandescent bulbs, that will be a big savings across the country.

Thanks,

CWS
        Biggest thing for the TV's: look for "Energy Star" certification. Most of these newer 9th and 10th generation ones have finally become efficient enough to get energy star qualification. There have been a number of LCD TV's that have been Energy Star for quite a while, but until recently I stayed away from LCD's. The main difference between the two? Plasma has generally always been sharper picture with faster/better refresh rate, while LCDs have been a brighter picture and better power usage. Read: plasmas best for sports, movies, etc., best in a darker basement rec room; LCDs best for news, talkshows, not great for sports, some movies (due to slight "blurriness" with fast action), but excellent for bright rooms.

But anymore, all the kinks are worked out, and they're pretty much on par. If I had to go out tomorrow and get a new one, I'd probably go with one of the new Samsung LED LCD's - amazing technology, great efficiency, great picture, sharp and clear (I have a cousin that just got one). Very nice. Pricey, but nice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          My CRT just goes and goes and goes. Probably like the old Ridgid monitors.

We'll have to see if some of the new ones will be on Ebay in 20 years.

J.C.
          When my wife and I got our plasma in December 2006, after moving into our new house, we did it to have a nice big TV, mounted up on the wall in our rec room. It was replacing a classic old Zenith floor-unit console. My parents gave it to me when they had no further use for it, and I got it in 1999. It was a mahogany wood, 27", with digital touchpad and remote, made in 1986. The picture was perfect, the wood quality and overall look of the unit was still near-flawless, with a beautiful gloss to the wood - it almost didn't seem like a TV, it seemed like an heirloom-quality piece of furniture. The only thing was, was that only one of the video inputs worked (s-video), so I had to run a switcher to alternate between the old DVD player and the satellite receiver.

My wife made me get rid of it, because she thought it was too cheesy and "kitsch" looking.

The HD and big picture is nice on the new plasma, but the aesthetics aren't the same. And I can only PRAY that I get the same longevity (knock on wood [pun intended], but I know I won't get near the same life out of this new stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            Now, this unit apparently uses 253 watts in "standby" mode. That means that this sucker is using 253 watts to just sit there, plugged in, and wait to be turned on. This info wasn't actually anywhere in my owners manual or on a sticker on the unit itself or on the box. I found it by looking up the specs online after the fact. When this thing is turned on, it uses about 370 to 520 watts (depending on settings, volume, etc.).
            You're not looking at this right. If your plasma is anything like my 50" Pioneer Elite plasma screen, the heat that comes off of the thing supplements my heat pump, keeping it from going into toaster mode (3 1500 watt resistance heating elements.) Plus there's the heat coming from the A/V reciever and cable box. So, the more TV we watch, the less our electric bill will be!
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
              You're not looking at this right. If your plasma is anything like my 50" Pioneer Elite plasma screen, the heat that comes off of the thing supplements my heat pump, keeping it from going into toaster mode (3 1500 watt resistance heating elements.) Plus there's the heat coming from the A/V reciever and cable box. So, the more TV we watch, the less our electric bill will be!
              Yeah, that may be fine with our Great Lakes winters, Steve. But, uh, what about my summertime AC bill?

Comment

Yeah, that may be fine with our Great Lakes winters, Steve. But, uh, what about my summertime AC bill?

Silly boy! Don't watch TV in the summer...
                Steve
                www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

You need A/C in Canada?

When I lived in the Boston area I didn't need it in my home or car most of the time. Needed it about 5 days a year but window fans worked.

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                    Silly boy! Don't watch TV in the summer...
                    But that's when all the good stuff is on - Hell's Kitchen, America's Got Talent, NASCAR, Playboy's Girls Next Door, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                      You need A/C in Canada?

When I lived in the Boston area I didn't need it in my home or car most of the time. Needed it about 5 days a year but window fans worked.
                      Oh yeah. Sorry to break any preconceptions about Canada, but here in the Great Lakes region (where over 1/3 of the population of Canada lives), our weather goes from one extreme to the other. We're actually at about the same latitude as Redding, California. Boston is about even with us too, but the weather there is tempered by the ocean breezes.

Here, we go from snowy, blizzards with -40 temps in the wintertime, to low- to mid-90's during much of the summer. Our weather patterns in Southern Ontario are actually very similar in temps and organization compared to Myrtle Beach. It's why we have a huge golf industry here, and lots of vineyards also - we make some world-class wines.

This year was a definitely cool summer, for the majority of the Great Lakes region. But for the most part, my AC is on and ready from May 1st, all the way through until the start of October. My AC settings are with a programmable thermostat, so it goes down to 70 at night, but is set to 80 during most of the day - it's not too low to be constantly running and burning through my hydro bill, but at the same time, it's still a fair relief compared to the outside. During that period, it's probably actively running for about 50 to 70% of those days. The problem is too, is that we have three things that really kick our butts with summertime heat. Firstly, we have that lovely curve of the jetstream, which usually pulls up extremely moist air from the gulf region into our neck of the woods - that's a big reason why we get some very active severe weather here. Secondly, we have the additional issue of lots of humidity being here due to being surrounded on most sides by the Great Lakes. Lastly, we have some piss-poor air quality around Southwestern Ontario at times, due to all the smog from factories, powerplants, chemical industries, etc., etc. Since the Great Lakes region is such a hub, it's also a big hub for industry, and that makes it an air quality issue, which doesn't help the summertime heat and humidity.
                      Last edited by canucksartech; 11-20-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

canucksartech,

Thanks for the information regarding the differences between LCD and Plasma, I think I knew some of that, but not that they had ironed out the differences.

With more energy consumption comes "heat" and I'm not particular fond of that. Certainly okay in the winter months, but these damned overly hot and humid months it makes a really big difference. Our TV room is on the second floor and you really don't want to be adding any heat up there in the summer. We don't run the central air much as it causes some problems for my wife.

As far as CRT's are concerned, every TV that we have had in the past has generated a lot of heat. But a few years ago a local retail chain went out of business and we bought this Chinese brand for next to nothinig (30" for about $75)... the brand was Changhong or something like that. Hey, say what you will, but this thing is now about six or seven years old, great picture and it runs really cool... like no difference in the cabinet temperature whether it's on or off. The thing weighs a ton though.

I'll have to do a lot of looking before I make my purchase, but energy efficiency and heat generation is a factor, as well as a great picture for action scenes.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                          canucksartech,

Thanks for the information regarding the differences between LCD and Plasma, I think I knew some of that, but not that they had ironed out the differences.

With more energy consumption comes "heat" and I'm not particular fond of that. Certainly okay in the winter months, but these damned overly hot and humid months it makes a really big difference. Our TV room is on the second floor and you really don't want to be adding any heat up there in the summer. We don't run the central air much as it causes some problems for my wife.

As far as CRT's are concerned, every TV that we have had in the past has generated a lot of heat. But a few years ago a local retail chain went out of business and we bought this Chinese brand for next to nothinig (30" for about $75)... the brand was Changhong or something like that. Hey, say what you will, but this thing is now about six or seven years old, great picture and it runs really cool... like no difference in the cabinet temperature whether it's on or off. The thing weighs a ton though.

I'll have to do a lot of looking before I make my purchase, but energy efficiency and heat generation is a factor, as well as a great picture for action scenes.

CWS
                          Are you running satellite/cable? Also, DVD player and/or Blu-Ray? What sort of connections are you running?

I've just spent some spare time over the last few months finishing up our family entertainment center in the rec-room. We had the plasma, but I've got things going now with JBL Cinema surround speakers, a very nice Harmon Kardon AVR 3550 HD receiver, and wired the whole house up for these speakers and those in other rooms with in-wall rated high-gauge/high-performance Monster Cable speaker wire throughout. Came out very nice and clean, with everything connecting to gold-plated wall-plates with self-made custom wire runs, terminated with nice banana plugs. I should start a thread and post some pictures of it all. I spent hours and hours over the previous 3 years doing a bunch of homework online, to sort out what was going to be best for us, and figuring out all the technical specs and details. It's amazing to know the amount of information that's out there to be had by "googling" for it.
                          Last edited by canucksartech; 11-20-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X