More than my wallet and keys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than my wallet and keys

I post on candlepowerforums.co, there are threads for discussing flashlights, batteries, knives, and other assorted things. People do collect LED and other flashlights as a hobby, strangely enough. Recently a new person asked what most of us did with alll our flashlights? Do they serve a practical purpose?
    This was my attempt at a response, and I thought some of you might find it of interest.
    Re: What do you guys do with all your flashlights?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depends on the person. I have a theory that some of the people who are into flashlights on this level, may also be into knives and guns, maybe other items of survival and or personal defense. I think while most people labor under an illusion of false security, others such as the ones mentioned above know better and are trying to be somewhat prepared. I don't live my life anticipating pending disaster and doom, but I have lived through power outages, violent encounters with people and animals, automobile breakdowns and accidents. You see, the person who can light his way in the darkness, cut through a jammed seatbelt and do other things with the few extra items he purposely carries, holds an advantage over others. I won't bore you any more with my attiude and opinions, specifically to your question, I maintain my various batteries and keep my assorted chargers and batteries well organized. I rotate the flashlights and batteries I carry to make sure they are in good working order, and I use them to light nooks and crannies around my house, car and other places where they make a difference.

Re: More than my wallet and keys

Frankie, I find that all kinds of people are a little fanatically into all types of things.

Guns
    Plumbing
    Flashlights
    Women with their shoes
    etc. etc.

I would have never thought that so many were into flashlights as they are until I looked at the forum you pointed out.

But then again I posted a link and video to a "soldering championship" they have annually. I believe it was about computer board soldering. And it was a big deal-get together with a champion and everything.

I use a light almost daily. I really like the Stanley LED Tripod light that I have. I'm sure it gets a poor rating for the standard of the candle forum.

But it works quite well for what I need it for: Reasonable light and self standing so it can free my hands.

I don't want to beat it to death but that new penlight I just purchased is really great too.

I like things that give good value, especially in a compact design because I often have to carry so many things into difficult places. The penlight puts out really good light and fits into your shirt pocket. Used to be that if you got something that small it sucked for light. Not this one, at least to me.

Plus, it's only $6.00.

Saved me today. I was under a house in mud 1" to 2" deep. Lady had a leak about 45' foot in. 25' in over some junk someone stored under there, then a right turn and 20' over while crawling under two HVAC ducts.

Got their with my Stanley light and while prepping things-the light begin to die to the point I couldn't continue. Didn't want to go back through all of that, then back in. Brought out the backup pen light and had plenty of light to finish the job. Just propped it on something and aimed it at the work.

Bought two more the other day.

J.C.

Comment

J.C., I'm not wealthy or a snob when it comes to hobbies or other items such as the Stanley LED worklight you mentioned. I have a few of those LED flashlights that cost around $20 and a couple around $50 which is a lot for me to spend given my budget. Some of those "Flashaholics " have titanium LED flashlights upwards of $300.00, and in the knife section, my $20 folding knives are a joke compared to the $500 custom knives some of those guys carry every day. In my opinion, if it works wheter it's a flashlight , knife, whatever and does what it should do, spending more is just a head trip. I'm sure the LED penlight is just fine and will give you plenty of service. Enjoy!

Comment

i'm into flashlights too but i'm not going onto a flashlight forum to talk shop

i can barely handle a plumbing forum

i'll tell you what. i think the best all around flashlight i own is the home depot / husky 3 watt led spotlight rechargeable. sku 625 790. retails for 19.99 and is a bargain. comes with both the car and home adapter.

this thing shoots a focused beam and is bright. i've never worn out the battery and i keep the charger in the car and top it off every couple of weeks.

it's not unusual to buy 10 flashlights at a time at the swap meet. but this is the bomb and i might be giving them for christmas. much cheaper than a bidet seat and much more useful. i use it everyday and love it.

it's the k-60 of lights

better act quick before h.d. finds out i gave it 2 thumbs up

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i'm into flashlights too but i'm not going onto a flashlight forum to talk shop

i can barely handle a plumbing forum

i'll tell you what. i think the best all around flashlight i own is the home depot / husky 3 watt led spotlight rechargeable. sku 625 790. retails for 19.99 and is a bargain. comes with both the car and home adapter.

this thing shoots a focused beam and is bright. i've never worn out the battery and i keep the charger in the car and top it off every couple of weeks.

it's not unusual to buy 10 flashlights at a time at the swap meet. but this is the bomb and i might be giving them for christmas. much cheaper than a bidet seat and much more useful. i use it everyday and love it.

it's the k-60 of lights

better act quick before h.d. finds out i gave it 2 thumbs up

rick.
          I'll get my address to you.

J.C.

Comment

On My belt 7 days a week Mag light, victorinox swiss multitool.Both used daily. Also $150.00
            benchmark knife, Friend that teaches Knife fighting has same. Never far from a sig .380
            wife has Her own hand gun.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Frankie, I find that all kinds of people are a little fanatically into all types of things.

Guns
              Plumbing
              Flashlights
              Women with their shoes
              etc. etc.
              I'm into "women with their shoes"... or sometimes even without their shoes!

Seriously though, some of us have survival instincts and some of us don't. Not sure really whether the former is a throwback or the latter just stupidly "it won't happen to me". I've been through a few power outages and I've even been stuck in some back road snow drifts where I spent the night. Probably my most vivid experience was going off into the woods one moonless summer night to meet some friends for one of our many overnight campouts (I rarely slept at home in the summer when I was a teen). Halfway up the mountain I slipped and my flashlight broke. It was so dark I couldn't see my own hand. No matches, no flashlight! I was about 13 or 14 at the time and happy as hell when the guys answered my survival whistle!

So whether it was that or some other reason, there's a little bit of "gadget" in me that likes "techie" flashlights, as well as radios, especially those that require little power like the LED. I also like those hand crank and solar sustainable ones too (radio's and lights). I do manage to refrain myself a bit though and not buy every one that I see. But, come the storm and/or the darkness, I'm prepared to illuminate my little world.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 11-19-2009, 12:49 AM.

Comment

I think I have posted about three times years ago, on that forum and they helped me out big time. I asked about a light for a plumber and listed my parameters. they pointed me out to a Streamlight Propolymer 4aa.

It is a awesome light that has been though three below 0 winters, been dropped off latters numerous times, and fell in water (ya that's what it was) more times than I can recall. Batteries are cheep and I get a lot of hours from them. I have also never replaced the bulb. I carry and use it daily.

Some of those people on that forum are REALLY into lights and I think that is pretty cool that they found a hobby they like and can share it with others.

I will say this about guns, knives, lights, tools or any area really, ignorance is bliss. For guys like me who love quality and performance it is a hard habit to break.

Like Tool, I also carry a 150.00 pocket knife. It may be nuts to some but it's what we like. We could bore people with details but you can't convince people of certain things. Look up Sebenza sometime. Those guys love that knife.

It is like why buy Ridgid pipe wrenches when you could buy three chinese ones for the same cost? It is because of quality. Once the quality goes, may the cheapest pipe wrench win.
                Last edited by Tyman; 11-19-2009, 06:50 AM.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Re: What do you guys do with all your flashlights?
                  I lose them. Once in a while I'll find one I left under a house. Right next to the channelocks that I've misplaced.

Comment

Glad to see I'm not alone and that others here appreciate the convenience and utility of these gadgets. I found a site "bladematrix.com" that has some real good prices on knives. I carry a hard to find Coleman CMN900 comes in tanto or plain blade, strong well made knife only $5 and change plus shipping.
                    Maybe I go a bit overboard in trying to prepare for outages and other situations, but I'm still amazed at my neighbors who can't even find a single flashlight when the power goes.Same folks take no responsibility for their home security or personal safety, it's like they live in Disney World.

Comment

You gotta love those people that wander through life aimlessly without a care in the world. It's those people we like to call sheep but be forewarned... there are wolves in the midst who purposefully want to do harm to the sheep. This is the role of the sheepdog... the have the knowledge and know-how to protect themselves and the sheep.

And if you think I'm making all this up or I dropped off the deep end here's a great article by LT. COL. Dave Grossman, U.S. Army (Ret.) Director, Warrior Science Group

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

I collect flashlights as bad as I collect knives as bad as I collect guns. I have a gun, knife, and flashlight on me at all times. I don't carry a $300 knife everyday but I do carry a $65 knife along with my Surefire 9P flashlight. They're just there to keep my Glock 23 company. I refuse to wander through life in Condition White - I try to stay in Condition Yellow. I've had formal weapons training so I know how to use what I carry. I realize that somebody someone might kill me with my own gun but they will have to beat me to death with it cause it'll be empty.

Brandon
                      I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

My feelings about weapons. It's not just about Me! If I came across a cop in trouble, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Also,the same with any civilian over his or Her head. Unfortunately
                        I wouldn't have an Arizona Jury! A bay area jury would probably send Me away for tapping a dirt bag, to save a Cop. I'll still carry , I'm My Father's Son.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Good attitude guys! Hopefully you won't have to defend yourselves or other but at least you're prepared! I also carry a good windproof butane lighter, gotta be able to make fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            but I'm still amazed at my neighbors who can't even find a single flashlight when the power goes..
                            Easy to find a flashlight in my house - I just find my son's backpack as he is a boy scout. I usually find one or two of mine that he "borrowed" when he couldn't find his!

Comment

Having been through power failures and having to walk along a country road when my car ran out of fuel because I didn't stop at the only gasoline station for miles, I learned the value of having more than just one good flashlight in any vehicle. As for at home I have several good ones and a Coleman fluorescent lantern for power failures. I don't go totally wild over flashlights, but there are some that stir my interest now and then.

If I could justify the price, I would snatch up a Streamlight PolyStinger LED flashlight and maybe, just maybe Old Santa will bring one my way. I would love to have the yellow traffic cone for it, just in case I need to have a good attention getter sometime during an emergency.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=152

Three light levels plus rapid flashing. This little flashlight is pretty bright too and what I like is that it along with the yellow traffic cone fits into a rear pants or jeans pocket.

Comment

Working...
                              X